VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have few DVD files which were created from a Toshiba combi VCR, DVD player (RD-XV47KB). Unfortunately I lost the original files so I am lumbererd with these DVDs which can only be played in this stated DVD player. It cannot be played on other DVD players or load back into this combi player's hard disk (HDD)..
    These DVDs were created in +VR format and these are +RW DVDs. When I loaded these DVDs into my computer DVD player it could not open or play it. The file it stated was VR_MOVIE.VRO. Is there approrpaite Nero software which can read these .VRO files and then I can down load into a hard disk and then convert into appropriate DVD file i.e. video mode so that it can be burned into DVD to be played on most type of DVD players. I use window's XP operating software on my old computer. I have Nero 7 but it coud not read .VRO file. My PC has only 1GB ram.

Appreciate early response.
    Last edited by sumeria; 4th Jan 2013 at 04:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Forget Nero
    2) I would try getting the disc to be recognized by DVDShrink. The last version(s) of DVDShrink were updated with VR discs in mind.
    This recorder has a built in HDD?
    3) I would load them back to the HDD and reburn them using anything BUT an RW disc. Get some quality Verbatim blanks and make sure
    you find a way to get the recorder to finalize/close/make compatible the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can read VRO files with Mpg2cut2. Then mark sections and save them as MPG files. Then you can use any DVD authoring tool to author a DVD.

If the DVD is encrypted you can use relCPRM to remove the encryption.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jan 2013 at 06:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can you copy the contents of the disc to your hard drive with simple copy & paste?....can you even "explore" the disc on your computer?
    Have you tried mpg2cut2?
    Have you tried the other popular favorites:
    DVDDecrypter
    DVDFabDecrypter
    I've heard that copying the contents to your computer and renaming the VR_MOVIE.vro to VR_MOVIE.mpg(or anything you want to call it...as long as it ends in .mpg) it will PLAY on a computer. I'm not sure how to transform it to a "real" mpeg file though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I can play using Mpg2cut2. I did not have to convert in .mpeg . However I want to convert into playable DVD for other DVD players. How can this be possible?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Export/Convert to mpg in mpg2cut2. No quality loss. Use a dvd authoring application like the very basic simple dvd creator, open the mpg, output. Burn the VIDEO_TS folder with imgburn.

Or get tmpgenc authoring works. It can do everything, import vro, edit, author to a dvd with nice menus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc MPEG Editor v3 can also read VRO files and save them as MPEG without reencoding. It's a nice frame-specific editor, too. That would also leave you free to use any authoring app you wish.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 02:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course what you appear to be asking is not possible. You can not simply 'convert' that disk to one playable on any player.

As others have already said, you must first extract the mpeg stream from the VRO file - you can avoid all this by using video mode on the dvd-recorder- and then use an authoring program such as AVS2dvd to create the required files and then imgburn to burn a fully compatable disk.

Another program that can extract the mpeg stream is mpegstreamclip. To use this you must also install a particular version of quicktime alternative (not the Apple version of Quicktime). IIRC the latest versions do not work with mpegstreamclip
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all.

I noticed that mpg2cut2 when downloaded came with .exe and dll files. I ran .exe file and straight away came up with a window where I could play the .vro file. I assume I have done this correctly. I also rename the file with extension .mpg. It did not convert the file only renamed it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. One advangate of mpg2cut2 is that is recognizes all the recordings in a VRO file with several. Many other tools will only access the first recording.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc Editor and Authoring Works usually display different VRO recordings on disk as a list of files. You choose which file you want to copy ("import"), one at a time (phooey). They are copied as ".dat" files for some strange reason, but they are MPEG2; just change the file extension to ".mpg".
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 02:34.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I only have the old TMPGEnc Plus. It only reads one title from a VRO file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded imgburn. It read the file directly from the disc (.vro) - small file about 192Mbits and stored it on hard disc with some sort of iso file (not sure). When I double click this iso file it automatically asked to burn it on a disc via Nero. I burnt it on a DVD -R/W. ( I have Nero 7). It burned successfully and now I can read this file on ordinary DVD player!

I then tried a larger video DVD (about 3+gbits ) but could not read via imgburn. Read about 5% then gave up. The file plays ok via mpg2cut2. Has anyone sufferred this curious problem?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One should not rename .VRO (or .VOB) files as .MPG, this may cause time-counter inconstancy that is difficult to fix.
    I shall soon try mpg2cut2 ,thank you all !

Edit :I did try mpg2cut2 : It can be useful, but it does not play files with non standard DVD resolution.I sometime use low resolution DVD recording for TV shows that do not require high quality picture ...

With appropriate settings,any good DVD authoring software should be able to use .MPG mpeg2 files without re-encoding.
    But DVD VR recording sometimes uses resolutions that are not compliant to regular DVDs.In that case ,re-encoding will be required.

Edit :adding something:
    Since your Toshiba DVD recorder has a HDD ,you should be able to use it to convert your DVD VR to regular DVD VIDEO with it. Just copy your videos to its HDD ,and then burn them back to a regular DVD.

NB: Some HDD DVD recorders can do fast copying , witch means lossless.
    Last edited by misermidas; 10th Jan 2013 at 02:24.
    Quote Quote