I'm trying to convert some DVD's to MKV's and the file sizes are giving me trouble. I'm using handbrake normal profile and each episode is 44m 07sec +- 10 secs. The file sizes start at 496MB, next is 562MB, then 673MB then back to 585MB, that is episode 1,2,3,4 on the DVD. On another disc from the same season, the sizes are 555MB then 699MB, then 774MB - again, this is for episode 1,2,3 on the DVD.
I tried to post this on the Handbrake Forum, but they wouldn't allow me to post it for some reason. I guess it wasn't "approved".
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Well, they may have been having temporary site problems. It happens.
You didn't say whether you used constant rate factor (cq in their terms) or target bit rate, but the only way you can get the same size files in handbrake is to calculate it yourself with the bit rate. I always use quality mode now. Is the file size that important?
Anyway, the answer is simple and not a handbrake fault. You can't predict the file size from the how many minutes the video plays. Different types of content compress better than others. The more motion, the more bits you need.
Sounds like CQ to me, too. In that case the file size becomes whatever it has to be to provide the quality you set. The larger sized ones have more motion/complex scenes, are brighter, more explosions or whatever. This is nothing to worry about or even wonder over.
I'm going to try VidEncoder and see what I can do. I downloaded the soprano's to see how 53 mins would look @ 700MB with H.264 but I think my encoding is going to be much worse, even with 2 pass.
AHHHH - I found out that it is the source! The DVD's are terrible and the film I am trying to copy was made in the 90's