VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For some reason, this thing is running like mud today. I don't think I changed any settings (at least not intentionally) and the source material is comparable (avi files, 3 to a disk, each about 50 min, 550mb). I'm running HC in two pass mode. Normally it takes about the same time to create as it would to watch, but today it is taking twice that for no reason I can understand. Normally it runs all three CPU's at near capacity, so I usually shut everything else down and run the converter by itself. This time it is crawling along using less than 20%, and running my browser has made no difference at all. The machine itself isn't acting like it is having problems, the converter just doesn't seem to be utilizing any processing power.

Any guesses what the problem could be? I've got plenty of ram, could it be the hard drive? It is a bit cluttered at the moment, but the change has been drastic. Any guesses?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you check to see what services were running? Maybe your anti-virus was doing a scheduled scan? Sounds like something probably was running in the background.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nothing like that. I have that sort of stuff run in the middle of the night. There isn't really anything running, the cpu is hardly off idle, hardly any memory is being used... It's still crawling along.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well something is causing that slowness. Have you asked the author? He will probably ask you to post your media info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    He will probably ask you to post your media info.
    That's usually a good start

Sometimes, depending on the source title properties, some AviSynth filters are used. Some of them are not written to run in multithread mode, thus the performance may be affected.

@Marvelicious

when you say it is crawling along using less than 20%, are you referring to HCenc only or to overall CPU load?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have my doubts that it is related to the media - it came from the same source as files that were running fine - but I've been wrong before... Here's the first file in the set:

General
    Complete name : C:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDeletedXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.av i
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 548 MiB
    Duration : 58mn 54s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 301 Kbps
    Writing application : Some super fast AVI muxer

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 2
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 1 143 Kbps
    Width : 624 pixels
    Height : 352 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.217
    Stream size : 482 MiB (88%)
    Writing library : XviD 70

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 146 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 61.3 MiB (11%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 42 ms

I'm talking about overall CPU load. Literally didn't see it go over 20% any time I checked. The audio encoding process went just as slowly. All told, it wound up taking 12 hours to finish.

I'm not using the most current version, so I'm installing 2.5.1 and I'm going to clean up my hard drive a bit, then I'll give another try later today.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would say that it is a vanilla xvid file. No interlaced, no VFR. The cause of the slowdown is probably to be found in the system.

Have you recently installed any new video codecs?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm almost positive at this point that it is something in my system. I did install Winamp the other day - I didn't really pay attention to whether any codecs came with it, but that is a possibility.

I'm still working on emptying the hard drive of all the dvd files I've had sitting ready to burn. It needs to be done, regardless of whether it solves my problem...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Curiouser and curiouser.

Cleaned up the hdd and gave it another try. It was running slow like before (~15 fps) so I opened up my browser since the encoder seems to want to run ultra slow in the background. I was browsing like I normally do, about a dozen open tabs, and a youtube video... Checked on the encoder and now it was running as quickly as it could (~45 fps) with my browser sucking up resources. So I shut everything down it dropped like a rock. Tried running the browser again - no improvement - then I put on a YouTube video and plugged in the bluetooth adapter I have to use my external speaker. You can see where I'm going with this, so I'll skip to the chase. I got the speaker as a gift last week, and I think perhaps there is a driver installed improperly or some other conflict, not sure yet. Basically, it only runs properly when the bluetooth adapter is plugged in and transmitting sound to the speaker. It'll work with any audio source, but it has to be sending something. I suppose it isn't the end of the world if I have to play music while encoding, but I'd rather find the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, if anyone had any interest in this thread, I found my problem. After at least 15 years of operating virus free, I finally got hit. Easy to get complacent when you have operated so well for so long! DVD shrink all of a sudden completely stopped working and actually locked up the system when I clicked on it to the point where I had to kill the power. A high sensitivity scan with Avast found things that had been slipping past. Currently I'm clean according to Avast and MalwareBytes, so I think I'm good, but I'm using the whole thing as an excuse to do a clean install. I'm busy backing up files at the moment, then I intend to scan my backups before restoring them just to be safe...

First time for everything!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the report and good luck with the cleaning.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well it looks like my post #2 was somewhat correct then. A virus was running in the background? Can you name the virus that AVAST found.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, my cpu was hardly ticking over regardless (no load according to the task manager and a couple other utilities, plus no fan running), but I'm sure it was the culprit. I didn't really pay much attention to what virus it was, just began my "scorched earth" removal process. Anything affected was uninstalled (DVD shrink, AVStoDVD and Google Earth all had corrupted files) and I'm working on setting up a custom install with RT7 Lite.
    Quote Quote