VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I realise this question is asked a million times - but it's sort of a split question so I'm unsure where to ask it.

The obvious issue with Sony Vegas (In my case 11) being unable to read .mp4 is pretty common. But I recall having fixed it previously - and the .mp4 files I render can also be imported just fine into Sony Vegas.

My issue is that I downloaded some footage from own3d, from a livestream, that I wish to turn into a movie. But Sony Vegas refuses to accept it, no matter what I do.

I downloaded AVICodec as suggested on many sites - and was quite shocked to realise that it detected 0 V.codecs on the .mp4 file.

This lead me to believe it might be a flash file? In a .mp4? I don't know enough about this - and thought I'd ask if anyone here had any suggestions on how to proceed with this.

Here's a screenshot of one of the clips in AVIcodec:

Thanks,
    lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Avicodec hasn't been updated in 6 years. Use mediainfo instead. It's probably h264 video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Avicodec hasn't been updated in 6 years. Use mediainfo instead. It's probably h264 video.
    Hey Baldrick! Thank you for the quick reply, truly appreciated.

I downloaded the new program, and this is what I got:

So was I right, flash in a .mp4 format? Not entirely sure what the AVC is.

Best regards,
    lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVC is H264 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

It's probably made with adobe flash encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    AVC is H264 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

It's probably made with adobe flash encoder.
    Hmm, that does seem like something a big site such as own3d.com might use.

I'm guessing there's no possible way to get a "codec" or such that would allow Sony Vegas 11 to recognize that?

-lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's not too large upload it so it can be looked at. i downloaded a couple from there and they work in vegas ok. they use variable frame rate so audio sync is a problem. you might use something like mediacoder to encode the video to a lossless format constant framerate video first and use that in vegas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-30_111111.png
Views:	1577
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	15453
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if it's not too large upload it so it can be looked at. i downloaded a couple from there and they work in vegas ok. they use variable frame rate so audio sync is a problem. you might use something like mediacoder to encode the video to a lossless format constant framerate video first and use that in vegas.
    They are pretty large 1 hour long ones.

But it looks like you can drag/drop the .mp4 files into your Sony Vegas? So there's hope... something is just wrong... I wonder what. I get the standard "None of the files dropped on Vegas Pro could be opened." or the "Warning: An error occurred while opening one or more files. The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format." when trying to directly import it.

Argh,
    Thanks,
    Lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can vlc play the videos without any problems? can you open them in other encoders like mediacoder? here's a tool to make cut a small piece and upload here. try for about 50mb.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can vlc play the videos without any problems? can you open them in other encoders like mediacoder? here's a tool to make cut a small piece and upload here. try for about 50mb.
    Yes, VLC has no issues with either sound or image. It looks perfect to me. MediaCoder has no issues seeing the file - "State: Ready - Type: MPEG-4 Video" Video: H.264, encoder: x264 etc etc.

I think I attached a file? Not sure hehe.

Thanks for the effort! Both!

Best regards,
    Lindenkron
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it seems corrupt and crashes some programs but mediacoder will accept it. i converted to huffyuv lossless and can import to vegas. only problem is your 30mb sample converts to 1.6gb. you could choose some other codec to convert to.

Name:	2012-12-30_114536.png
Views:	1565
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	15456
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Aedipuss,

Well my options are quite limited because I need the files to be somewhat compressed like this - or the 5-7 hours of footage I have will take up more space than available at microsoft.

Didn't you download a clip from own3d and have it working just fine? What exactly did you do? Maybe I can re-download it in a different way than what I did. I downloaded it from http://savevideo.me/ (If it says temporary down, try again. Site is under stress).

Best regards,
    Lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i used download helper in firefox to get the file. it wasn't a live stream if that's what you got. you can use mediacoder to re-encode to h264 with lc-aac. use cq of about 20 and the file will be about twice as big but you shouldn't lose much in the way of video quality. and the new mp4 is usable in vegas.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download 3 movies from own3d and open in Movie Studio Platinum 12. Normal play and edit.

Try install updated FFDSHOW or LAV filters.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Download 3 movies from own3d and open in Movie Studio Platinum 12. Normal play and edit.

Try install updated FFDSHOW or LAV filters.

Claudio

did you download the sample he posted. it doesn't open in vegas.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I tried using the DownloadHelper (Already had it but forgot, doh) - and the file gives the same error. Seeing as it works in your Sony Vegas (Btw, I noticed it was Sony Vegas Pro 10 I have, and not 11) and not in mine - I've concluded, as the bright Sherlock Holmes I am, that I need to do some kind of a tweak to my Sony Vegas.

Is there anything you could tell me about your Sony Vegas, codecs etc - that might help me get it to work? I have Quick Time installed - even tried installing an older version. Also tried installing K-lite etc.

Thanks for your time,
    Lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try opening the new mp4 i uploaded into vegas 10? it works fine here in vegas pro10, 11, and 12. (all 64 bit)

try installing ffdshow. if your vegas is 32 bit use the 32bit version, if 64bit get that one.

codec packs work for some but totally trash other systems. i've never used one or recommended them.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you try opening the new mp4 i uploaded into vegas 10? it works fine here in vegas pro10, 11, and 12. (all 64 bit)

try installing ffdshow. if your vegas is 32 bit use the 32bit version, if 64bit get that one.

codec packs work for some but totally trash other systems. i've never used one or recommended them.
    The one you had re-compressed works yes. Still doesn't explain why you can open the same footage that I can't from own3d . I don't wish to re-compress 5:30 hours of footage with 2x the size and a possible loss in quality if I can avoid it.

I'm pretty sure there's ffdshow in k-lite, no? I'll try installing the it non the less, I'm using 64 bit version.

Thanks! I'll report back with the results soon.

Edit:
    I downloaded and installed it - and I still get the same error. This is quite the nuisance.

-Thanks,
    Lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here's what i downloaded from the site that vegas opens here. see if your vegas will accept it.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here's what i downloaded from the site that vegas opens here. see if your vegas will accept it.
    Won't . Something in my Vegas is missing to accept those files.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What you might try to do is get MP4CAM2AVI and just wrap that mp4 into avi container without reencoding or maybe you can just set to reencode audio to PCM for better compatibility. I have Vegas 8 and Vegas opens those files through ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    What you might try to do is get MP4CAM2AVI and just wrap that mp4 into avi container without reencoding or maybe you can just set to reencode audio to PCM for better compatibility. I have Vegas 8 and Vegas opens those files through ffdshow.
    To avoid future issues I really wish I could just make my Sony Vegas compatible with the own3d footage - like Aedipuss's Sony Vegas is. Could you tell me what you've got installed/done on your Sony Vegas Aedipuss? Thx!

-lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Using My MP4Box GUI to demux and mux again (40 seconds only), video work in Vegas, audio no. Only use audio demuxed to work hehehe.

Name:	ksgBR.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	15460

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 30th Dec 2012 at 17:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe install quicktime? quicktime alternative should work.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe install quicktime? quicktime alternative should work.
    Originally Posted by lindenkron View Post
    Is there anything you could tell me about your Sony Vegas, codecs etc - that might help me get it to work? I have Quick Time installed - even tried installing an older version. Also tried installing K-lite etc.
    I've tried installing Quicktime - Uninstalling it, re-installing it - installing older recommended versions and normal/pro ones. Nothing seem to make a difference...

Do I need to reboot after installations?

-lindenkron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try qt alternative and yes then reboot.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    another thing to install is haali media splitter and maybe the x264vfw
    --
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    another thing to install is haali media splitter and maybe the x264vfw
    I'll try rebooting in a sec, I already have the x264vfw installed (I can see it under my .avi compressing options in Sony Vegas).

What is the Haali media splitter?

-lindenkron

Edit: Didn't work, to reboot. Made no difference
    Last edited by lindenkron; 30th Dec 2012 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    haali helps decode video. that's about all i can come up with. other than the codec pack screwing up the system.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  29. Vegas doesn't use haali, or any system installed directshow codecs or filters

for some types of "AVI" container wrapped files, some versions can use VFW installed codecs.

Depending on the type of mp4 container, and version of vegas, it might use quicktime or it's internal mainconcept mp4 demuxer & decoder

if you right click the clip and look that the properties it will tell you what is being used (which .dll is being used)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Vegas doesn't use haali, or any system installed directshow codecs or filters

for some types of "AVI" container wrapped files, some versions can use VFW installed codecs.

Depending on the type of mp4 container, and version of vegas, it might use quicktime or it's internal mainconcept mp4 demuxer & decoder

if you right click the clip and look that the properties it will tell you what is being used (which .dll is being used)
    Right click the actual .mp4 clip in the folder? Doesn't give me any viable information. "Name, elementtype, path, size, creation date, change date" etc. There's nothing about any .dll's under "Properties -> Details" (Or any other place for that matter.)

Could you specify where you want me to look?

Thanks a lot everyone!
    -Lindenkron
    Quote Quote