VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. @orsetto

ok, got it. Let me know when you will give it a try.

@edwood

perfect, download is ongoing.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  2. @edwook

Ok, got it and converted it.

Actually the file you have sent me ("Ironside.1967.s01.e01.Message.from.Beyond.mp4 ") IS a mp4 container with video AVC (H264) and audio AAC (6ch 96kbps, weird), NOT a wmv container. Hence 80% of this thread is off topic....

BTW I fed AVStoDVD with that mp4 and the conversion was successful. See attached project log file as reference.

Frankly speaking, I am a bit confused about the real issue with DVD Flick: the rejected file was this mp4 or the wmv? If it was this mp4, then you can safely use AVStoDVD for the conversion. If you are not satisfied for the video quality (as you previoulsy mentioned), we can talk about that and figure out what are your concerns.

Bye
    Image Attached Files
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Actually the file you have sent me ("Ironside.1967.s01.e01.Message.from.Beyond.mp4 ") IS a mp4 container with video AVC (H264) and audio AAC (6ch 96kbps, weird), NOT a wmv container. Hence 80% of this thread is off topic....
    Frankly speaking, I am a bit confused about the real issue with DVD Flick: the rejected file was this mp4 or the wmv? If it was this mp4, then you can safely use AVStoDVD for the conversion.
    This is above and beyond effort.

However, my 2 cents about DVD Flick -
    it is relatively speaking old and unfortunately no longer supported -
    I think the version of ffmpeg is therefore pretty old as well
    (an aside: if anyone knows how to update the ffmpeg for DVD Flick please share this info?)
    so it cannot handle more complex audio - therefore it will occasionally fail - sometimes without any obvious warnings -
    after DVD Flick appears to have finished "successfully" - one has to read the log files to find this out .

That's why I suggested converting the audio of the file using VirtualDub to something "friendly" ie: AC3-acm 192k at 48000kHz - for MP4 (if it was that) would have been very simple - but one still needs the necessary plug-ins (a fact of life with vDub).

I use both DVD Flick - my preference (faster, simpler to use)
    and AVStoDVD which can help avoid video stuttering -
    but it is not quite as easy, nor flexible for subtitles.
    Last edited by UnknownVT; 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MrC & UnknownVT,

I have finally found a workable solution. I used DDVideo AVI Mpeg Converter Gain from Day Day Video Corp (www.daydayvideo.com) to convert the mp4 file(s) with the 5.1 audio back to a mp4 file with 2 channel stereo using the following settings:

Profile Setting: MP4 - Mpg4 Video
    Audio Channels: 2 (Stereo)
    Enable Gain box: Ticked

This gave me the video quality of the mp4 file plus good audio to match. Since the audio level on the original mp4 file was low, the beauty of the Enable Gain box being ticked was that I could increase the audio from 68db to 95.9db for an acceptable solution. I could have gone to 105.5db, but that was way to strong.

Like UnknownVT said, AVStoDVD takes much longer to encode/burn than DVD Flick. I like the options and features of AVStoDVD very much, especially the ease of menu creation, but the trade off for length of time to encode and burn is to great, especially since I have appx 240 48 minute episodes to encode and burn to DVD. I am putting 8 episoded to a dual layer disk which means somewhere around 32 disks. When you drastically increase the encode/burn time that AVStoDVD takes, that is a lot of extra work.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions given on this post. It is good to know that there are still people in this world who will take the time, and go the extra mile (especially MrC) to help a fellow geek accomplish a task.

Have a great week!
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
    (an aside: if anyone knows how to update the ffmpeg for DVD Flick please share this info?)
    That would normally be as simple as replacing the ffmpeg binary in the DVDFlick program folder with a current one. However, ffmpeg has changed a great deal in the past couple of years, including many command syntaxes, and I'd be surprised if any older program could work properly with a new ffmpeg. Plus, IIRC, the author of Flick included his own custom build of ffmpeg anyway.

So while you certainly have nothing to lose by trying a newer ffmpeg with Flick if you want, definitely don't delete the old one.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    However, ffmpeg has changed a great deal in the past couple of years, including many command syntaxes, and I'd be surprised if any older program could work properly with a new ffmpeg
    Sadly that is true. I have therefore modified DVD Flick slightly to integrate a recent ffmpeg build into DVD Flick. The result can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdflick-v2/

For me the speed is much better now, more file formats are supported. I am also looking into adding a 2pass mode which should improve quality a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not in my case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	20354
    Quote Quote  
  8. sambat, I suggest following Calidore's advice to use a utility like Avanti to strip the audio out of problem video files and convert them to PCM/WAV (.wmv files) or AAC (almost everything else). It only takes a minute, then you go back to DVDflick and under the Edit File option choose Audio, then Add Audio Track. Select the "normalized" audio track you just created, and add it. DVDflick will then convert the video+audio into a DVD along with the other less-troublesome videos in your project.

The only issue I encounter with the Avanti trick is when the stripped and normalized audio track has a length slightly longer than the video. To some degree this can be compensated by clicking the "ignore audio delay" checkbox for that audio track in DVDflick, and/or choosing "no menu" in the DVDflick authoring panel. In rare cases, I encounter odd audio formatting in some MP4s that DVDflick does accept but then spends 9 hours converting. When I strip the audio aut of those files with a utility, the running time is often 40% longer than the video, which likely causes the hangup. Such videos usually benefit from total combined re-encoding in something like MKVtools, prior to importing them into DVDflick.
    Quote Quote