VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ton of large MTS files that I'd like to convert to MP4 without losing the original quality (if possible). I have sony vegas 10.0 pro which is currently the only option that produced a perfect conversion without any noticeable quality difference and the file was a lot smaller. Only thing is I don't know if it's possible to batch convert a ton of .MTS files.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way in sony vegas, or do you know of another program that can handle batch conversions for .MTS files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would give TEncoder a try. It's a Gui for either Mencoder or FFMPeg. It's very configurable. But the man point of interest in your case, it's designed to process in batch. The author has a thread on videohelp where you can ask questions if you have problems. Just search TEncoder using videohelp search.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vidcoder maybe. you'd have to set it up and find the output quality setting you want, but yes it can batch encode.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the fast replies. This problem has plagued me for a while. i'll try out those 2 now and report back
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I used TEncoder and it seems to be working so i didn't mess with vidcoder. So far I like it but Im trying to figure out how to get the best quality. Like what bitrate would be the best? 2500 or 4000 or something higher? Going to create a few different examples and see what's better. Not sure if i should try 2 pass encoding as well.

Any ideas? I'm going to delete the original files so have to make sure the converted file is the best it can be without being too big.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Trial and error is my advice. My HDTV is a CRT type. It's a Sony 27". Since it's not 5 feet wide I can get by with 1 pass mode for just about everything if I have a quality source. I don't remember the last time I used 2 pass mode. But if you blow it up big across the wall then you probably need to get out all the artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    5000 bitrate seems to do the trick. I spent a lot of time analyzing every pixel and comparing etc lol.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rocketman778 View Post
    5000 bitrate seems to do the trick. I spent a lot of time analyzing every pixel and comparing etc lol.
    Right!!! Now I know you!! You're the guy with the jeweler's glass in one eye all the time!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can losslessly convert a single file with ffmpeg, using a command like

Code:
    ffmpeg -i 00000.mts -vcodec copy -acodec copy converted.mp4
    And then a windows batch file (.cmd) to handle doing a bunch of files in one command.

I could help you with the batch file, what's the structure/naming convention of your MTS files?

--BobP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .......Yes but I think the OP wants to re-encode to a lossy and smaller mp4. Typical rookie dumb move, but I wont judge....

Anyway if he really wanted a batch lossless remux into mp4 container, he could use FFMpeg. I use FFmbc and you can use this script:
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.mts") do ffmbc -i %%a -vcodec copy -acodec copy %%~na.mp4
    Copy the above code into Notepad and rename as Remux.bat. Now copy the "Remux.bat" and ffmbc.exe into the folder containing all the MTS files you want to convert and run the Bat file.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. I just tested today very fast and working ffmpeg settings on my MacBook to remux an (Panasonic Lumix) MTS Video File to QT compatible MP4:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.MTS -y -map 0:0 -c:0 copy -map 0:1 -c:1 aac -b:1 128k -ac:1 2 -cutoff 19000 -strict experimental -sn output.MP4
    Just try out.... I was not able to find such an easy solution anywhere in the web...

Cheers
    Rainer
    Quote Quote  
  12. @RainerW70: Why is the '-strict experimental' needed?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  13. because of the aac encoder (experimental)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for clearing that up.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote