VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using DVDFab and when I copy a DVD (Attack of the Clones) and put it in my DVD player, the display fills the widescreen (16:9) TV. When I rip the DVD to MP4 and try to watch it on the same TV, it shows black bars at the top and bottom. Cropping is set to Auto. Is this an anamorphic effect on the DVD? Is there anyway to rip the MP4 so it will display the same as the DVD?

Thanks,
    Hurtman
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you talking about the movie of 2002, or the more recent TV show with the same name?
    If it's the movie, the aspect ratio is 2.35:1, so you should expect some letterboxing,
    even on a widescreen 16:9 TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick response davexnet. I am talking about the movie. So why is there no letterboxing when watching the movie with a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Compare the same scene from each version: Perhaps the DVD version is chopping off part of the video on the left and right to fill the screen at the 16:9 ratio vs. the MP4 version of 2:35:1?

I have a big screen with an "auto crop" feature, too, which isn't particularly reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks CobraPilot. I'll take a close look at that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I should have looked further into the movie. The splash screen on the DVD is full screen but the movie contains the top and bottom bars. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote