VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using MeGUI to encode all my videos and today I encoded a video with the mkv container then using the exact same video with the exact same encoding settings I encoded into the MP4 container and it comes out about 28 MB less than the MKV. Anyone know why it's smaller?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something is wrong, unless the video is large. The margin of difference is much less than 0.1 - 0.2%

Did you account for audio or other streams? Same processing steps ? What does the log file say ? What does mediainfo say about the 2 versions (view=>text)
    Quote Quote  
  3. BTW I'm curious why you would do this in the first place ? (encode the same source using the same settings, just different container)

You could have just re-muxed into different container (no quality loss, many times faster) - doing this you can also prove to yourself that the filesize will be very similar
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JamesWade View Post
    the MP4 container and it comes out about 28 MB less than the MKV.
    On what? A 29 MB file? A 20 GB file? Saying "28 MB less" is pretty meaningless without context.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ASSUMING "nothing has gone wrong" in the muxing processes themselves, it's possible that the (apparent) problem was caused by the settings in the Matroska muxer. When you define the so-called "cues" for ALL audio/video frames, the container overhead gets significantly bigger.
    Quote Quote