VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been a big fan of Potplayer for a long time but there is just one setting that I can never figure out. It exists as default in all other players I have used.

So the issue is that after minimizing Potplayer when I double click on another file (I have the "PLAY THE CLICKED FILE" option checked under the Multiple launching),it starts to play but the window is still minimized. I mean usually for all other media players the double clicked files should pop open on top always.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone knows the answer? i mean i thought it is pretty natural for everyone to have this setting, cuz it exists in all other media players...thx
    Quote Quote  
  3. I normally don't post (or like) "me too" or "bump" replies, but in this case I decided to do it anyway.
    I have the exact same problem with Potplayer and I can't believe that unloaded1 and me are the only two Potplayer users who have come across of this bug (it surely can't be a feature, right?)
    Does anyone have any clue about how to fix it?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I don't believe it's a bug because my Win 7-32 installation doesn't exhibit the behavior you describe. The second (third, fourth, etc.) open in a new window.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your reply, OldGeek.
    But we (unloaded1 and me) are describing a different situation: we don't want to have multiple instances of PotPlayer when we click on new files, we just want the current (and minimized) instance of Potplayer to start playing the file we just have double clicked on. There is a preference for that in PotPlayer's options: "General" -> "Multiple Launching" -> "Play the clicked file" (instead of "Launch multiple PotPlayer").
    What currently happens is that, when you have a file open on PotPlayer and the program is minimized, double clicking on a new file does indeed start playing the new file on PotPlayer but (and here's the bug) PotPlayer doesn't restore the window. So the new file is playing, but you can't see it because the window stays minimized. I hope I could explain it clearly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I understand, and you are correct. Mine behaves the same way
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldGeek View Post
    Mine behaves the same way
    So I guess it is a default setting in Potplayer...

does anyone know if that setting can be changed? or simply a reg file that can be applied to fix it?

i mean i wouldn't call it a bug, but it's just a personal preference that I have developed from all other media players lol.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by unloaded1 View Post
    Mine behaves the same way
    So I guess it is a default setting in Potplayer...

does anyone know if that setting can be changed? or simply a reg file that can be applied to fix it?

i mean i wouldn't call it a bug, but it's just a personal preference that I have developed from all other media players lol.
    Since you minimized the player, that is your instruction, and the player conformed. Now, you are requesting the player 'play' another file. Why should it now return to the screen - you wanted it minimized.

The developer could add an option, "Return to screen when minimized and another file is selected"

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by OldGeek View Post
    Since you minimized the player, that is your instruction, and the player conformed. Now, you are requesting the player 'play' another file. Why should it now return to the screen - you wanted it minimized.
    No, not really. That's not how programs work on Windows. When a program is minimized and you double click on a file that is set to be opened by that program, the program's window is restored. For example, if I have Word minimized on the taskbar and I double click on a .doc file on Windows Explorer, Word is restored in order to show me the file.
    Test it for yourself and see.
    It's PotPlayer's fault, not ours
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by city_zen View Post
    No, not really. That's not how programs work on Windows. When a program is minimized and you double click on a file that is set to be opened by that program, the program's window is restored. For example, if I have Word minimized on the taskbar and I double click on a .doc file on Windows Explorer, Word is restored in order to show me the file.
    Test it for yourself and see.
    It's PotPlayer's fault, not ours
    Yes, but on my computer, Word opens a 2nd occurrence. The first remains minimized.

I tried the experiment with Winamp (audio file) and it remains minimized. ??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by OldGeek View Post
    Yes, but on my computer, Word opens a 2nd occurrence. The first remains minimized.

I tried the experiment with Winamp (audio file) and it remains minimized. ??
    You're right. I didn't choose a good example with Word.
    A better example is a picture viewer. I tried it with Irfanview, setting it to only allow one instance of the program, and IrfanView behaves as (I think ) it should: when it's minimized, and I double click on a graphic file, the program window is restores to normal size and I can see the picture.

It's understandable that audio players don't behave that way (I tried the same experiment as yours with AIMP and got the same results, it stays minimized), because in audio players you don't need to restore the window to "see" anything. It's the sound that's important. OK, maybe you want to check the equalizer or the song information, but that's secondary.

Back to video players, I finally tried the experiment with other two programs: KMPlayer (the predecesor of PotPlayer), and SPlayer. They both restore the window when they are minimized and a new video file is opened. What unloaded1 said in the very first post is true: I think every other video player behaves that way (restoring the window instead of staying minimized). It's a mystery, and an annoying one, why PotPlayer doesn't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    The only thing I can think of, is that the developer assumes the user is viewing video (the intended use of a video player), and that the program has focus on the display.

I have been using PP for quite some time, both for video and to display content from my TV tuner card. Just the other day, I used it to capture video from a VHS tape. It's a great program!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I found this thread while researching this same issue. Did anyone find the fix to this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. No, unfortunately there's no fix yet. I've given up on PotPlayer until they fix this bug, if they ever do.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Oh. Well that's a bummer. Sure is a nice player otherwise.
    Quote Quote