VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if there is a program (or a player) that reads ahead the file to be played (usually mkv in my case)
    to the RAM, so the disc that the video file resides in, won't spin for the entire duration of the playback,
    but only every time the cache is almost empty.

A program that I've used in the past (called DVDIdle), was doing that universally for every player I wanted,
    but they've stopped updating it 6 years ago and now it doesn't seem to work with Windows 7.

The method I am using now, is to either having the drive wearing down and buzzing all the time,
    or copy the entire file to HDD and play it from there.

I was looking for something more convenient, automated, without waiting for an entire file to be copied
    or needing any HDD space, like I've used to in the past.

Anybody has a clue?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you just want it a bit quieter you can try anydvd, enable speed control and set it to slow & quiet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unlike my previous experience with DVDIdle, the AnyDVD's setting is global and doesn't distinguish
    between playback of MKV files or performing general copy functions like copying a file.

Also, the drive doesn't rest while playing back the movie.
    Hopefully in the future something closer to DVDIdle will emerge and be compatible with Windows 7.

Still, this is an improvement over my current situation, so Baldrick I thank you for that!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have you tried installing in compatibility mode? As example I have an old scanner that was made just as XP was released. I just assumed I had to boot XP to use it. But I tried installing in 32 bit W7 using compatibility mode during install and it works fine. No more booting XP just to scan a document.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes I did.
    It didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How 'bout XP Mode? It's free if you have sufficient level of Windows Seven installed.
    Or there's always VirtualBox.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Running it in virtual environment probably will not allow the program to find and interact with the player and even if that was working, would make my PC slower while running the virtual environment in background.

But I might give it a try with Thinstall if I find time.
    Thanks anyway!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could try communicating with the author of DVDIdle and see if the source code is available and then have it updated (either by yourself or getting others to work on it) so it is Win7 compatible...

Long shot, but who knows?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Saxtus View Post
    Running it in virtual environment probably will not allow the program to find and interact with the player and even if that was working, would make my PC slower while running the virtual environment in background.

But I might give it a try with Thinstall if I find time.
    Thanks anyway!
    Just out of curiosity, are you running 32 bit or 64 bit W7?
    There seems to be some problems running some programs on 64 bit W7 that work fine on Vista64. That's why I'm wondering.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 64-bit.
    And the developer is trying to sell another product that doesn't have that function in the place of the old,
    so I doubt he would like to hear from me...
    Quote Quote