VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I'm using AVS Video Converter v8
    and after I've finished converting the video, the video and audio from the newly created clip from time to time jumps. I have no idea why it's doing this. Usually when a scene ends it does it, but I find that bizarre since the clip isn't compiled by 'scenes'. I burnt the DVD onto the computer and converted the VOB files to avi using the software I mentioned. The original files from the DVD don't jump. Each VOB file is about 1GB; I'm looking to get the AVI file around 1-1.5GB. I like this software because you can really customise the video. All I really want to do though is convert the exact frame size of the DVD into the AVI, the only difference between the two is quality. With the VOB files being split into 1GB files, is that an issue? Feel free to ask me anything in case I missed something. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All standard dvd vobs are splitted into 1GB chunks so it's normal and GOOD dvd converters should handle it fine.

Are you converting to same frame rate as the source? Most NTSC dvds are 23.976 fps and PAL 25fps.

Or try a better dvd to avi converter like the old good autogk, open the dvd ifo file (usually VTS_01_0.IFO) and convert! See http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/autogk_page2.html#step1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

Thanks for responding. I was converting the same as the source, it still didn't work.

I will give your software a go, I hope it converts the same output as the original file but with the modifications I'd like to set. Can't stand software that doesn't allow customisation and just does its own thing. Do you know of any good video editors out there? AVS Converter had one built in and was great except it didn't export the video well which I explained in my first post!

I'll report back with the results of autogk. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Okay I'm back. The software seems alright but I'm looking to chop the video in little files, episodes, autogk hasn't got much editing and I can't (is crop the word?) the file. Is there a way to do this with your recommended software or is there another piece of software I could use? I've also tried Wondershare video converter but that wasn't good either. There's gotta be great video converting software out there. How do people make all their videos so effortlessly?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, it can't edit.

Maybe you can try tmpgenc xpress (or now called tmpgenc video mastering works...). Probably better than avs and wondershare and it can edit and convert to avi divx.

Or try a free adware supported all-in-one solutions like freemake video converter, open the dvd by click on the +dvd and choose the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD, use the scissor to cut, click to avi, change the preset to tv quality(Xvid, mp3).

Or edit the avi after you converted with autogk with for example solveigm avi trimmer or avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey buddy, thanks for replying. I thought that, about just trying to edit the video after autogk reformatted the video, but I heard you can damage the quality by doing such things. I heard it's like copying a VHS tape off the original VHS tape and that the copied version will be grainier. I found this bizarre because it's data, not physical wear-and-tear that you'll get on a tape, but the dude in some forum seemed to know what he was talking about. I will try your suggestions out, which there are a few, so it will take some time. Nonetheless I will report back with the results! Thanks again.
    Quote Quote