VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg33/scaled.php?server=33&filename=unitinputs.jpg&res=landing

I need the one that connects the PS3 component cable to the back of PVR2, to the A/V in socket. Not a PS3 component cable, I'm looking for the cable that enables you to connect the PS3 component to the back of PVR2

So what's the thing called?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by exbngr View Post
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg33/scaled.php?server=33&filename=unitinputs.jpg&res=landing

I need the one that connects the PS3 component cable to the back of PVR2, to the A/V in socket. Not a PS3 component cable, I'm looking for the cable that enables you to connect the PS3 component to the back of PVR2

So what's the thing called?
    I'm guessing the faulty cable could be described as a "Hauppauge HD PVR2 Component Video breakout cable" or "Hauppauge HD PVR2 A/V cable set for Component Video". It looks like a custom part that only Hauppauge can replace. Contact them about getting a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    "Hauppauge HD PVR2 Component Video breakout cable"...It looks like a custom part that only Hauppauge can replace.
    Of course. And they don't appear to sell that cable separate from the PVR2. The OP is SOL unless he can find one on ebay or some such.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore-main_accessories.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the HD PVR2 is still under warranty, there is always the option to go through the RMA process.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If the HD PVR2 is still under warranty, there is always the option to go through the RMA process.

They're ignoring all my emails.

Does nobody know how to trim PVR2 recordings without having to re-encode them? Surely there must be a way. It's an MP4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

They're ignoring all my emails.
    I read the warranty terms at hauppauge's UK website. There is a two year warranty, so you are covered, assuming you have proof of purchase.The RMA process starts with filling out a support form or by calling the support phone number. See http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/support/support_warranty.html

Assuming you used the support email form, they are probably not ignoring your emails. You don't get a reply to support emails immediately because other people are ahead of you, and sending multiple support requests before the first one has been answered is not going to help you. Wait at least a week before sending the second email.

Does nobody know how to trim PVR2 recordings without having to re-encode them? Surely there must be a way. It's an MP4
    You already have multiple threads on this topic, and the advice given you seems sound. Baldrick has closed two or three of them because you don't wish to follow the forum rules regarding one thread per topic. Are you trying to get this thread closed as well?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Dec 2012 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The OP bought it off of Ebay or just bought it "used". It didn't come with a cable or the included software (ArcSoft) to do even basic cuts on what he records.
    Stop wasting our time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The OP bought it off of Ebay or just bought it "used". It didn't come with a cable or the included software (ArcSoft) to do even basic cuts on what he records.
    Stop wasting our time.
    If the OP did buy this second hand, then it would be his problem. Without the original receipt/invoice or product registration as proof of purchase, there is no warranty. However, the OP has not stated his HD PVR 2 was purchased used.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes I did buy it off ebay.

But....

I did it for quickness because I don't have my card details on Amazon (the card I wanted to use). Also, I bought it from a legit shop through ebay.

This is where I bought it from http://www.afterhours.co.uk/
    Quote Quote  
  10. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main/276-0264010-8915634?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfille...=AJCQE4N0AGMUF

I don't know if they're secretly selling used stuff. The price suggests not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So send it back to that afterhours company....simple:
    Included in this package

• HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition high definition H.264 personal video recorder, USB 2.0
    • 6V 1.6 amp power supply
    • USB cable - 9 ft.
    • HDMI input cable
    • HDMI output cable
    • PlayStation 3 component video gaming cable
    • Installation CD-ROM
    • Quick installation guide
    http://www.afterhours.co.uk/index.php/hauppauge-hd-pvr-2-gaming-edition.html

You should have basic editing software in the package and the cable you say is damaged/missing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The editor that comes with the original HD PVR (the older version) was completely worthless. It was an i-frame only, non-reencoding, editor. Which would have been fine. But it had no indication of which frames were i-frames. So you never had any idea where the cuts would be made. It also had very poor navigated controls. I seem to recall it had A/V sync problems too.

If you want decent editing from an HD PVR, capture as TS or M2TS and edit with Videoredo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So send it back to that afterhours company....simple:
    Included in this package

• HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition high definition H.264 personal video recorder, USB 2.0
    • 6V 1.6 amp power supply
    • USB cable - 9 ft.
    • HDMI input cable
    • HDMI output cable
    • PlayStation 3 component video gaming cable
    • Installation CD-ROM
    • Quick installation guide
    http://www.afterhours.co.uk/index.php/hauppauge-hd-pvr-2-gaming-edition.html

You should have basic editing software in the package and the cable you say is damaged/missing.
    I never said the cable was missing. I said it was damaged. The editing software that comes with it absolutely destroys the quality. I would have like to have been able to trim parts without having to re-encode, making the file size mammoth if I want something close to the original thing & therefore making even 2 minute cuts 900mb.

I've bought a worthless piece of software. Had I known this I wouldn't of bought it.

Sorry for grammar
    Quote Quote  
  14. The clip I would like to cut & keep would be around 230mb without re-encoding -- if I didn't have to re-encode. But re-encoding with Xilisoft HD Video Converter with the settings at "same as original' brings the same clip to around 940mb

That's my problem with the software
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by exbngr View Post
    The clip I would like to cut & keep would be around 230mb without re-encoding -- if I didn't have to re-encode. But re-encoding with Xilisoft HD Video Converter with the settings at "same as original' brings the same clip to around 940mb

Then set a lower bitrate. Or invest in Videoredo -- it only reencodes cut GOPs, ie a second or so around each cut.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The clip I would like to cut & keep would be around 230mb without re-encoding -- if I didn't have to re-encode. But re-encoding with Xilisoft HD Video Converter with the settings at "same as original' brings the same clip to around 940mb

Then set a lower bitrate. Or invest in Videoredo -- it only reencodes cut GOPs, ie a second or so around each cut.
    The video picture wobbles...

The up to date Avidemux 2.6 doesn't work at all. Using the previous version the screen would wobble. I've tried just about everything out there, some playback ok up until a certain point & then everything goes AWOL, video wobbles & the audio is way out of sync.

I'm forced to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  17. AviDemux is crap. MP4 is a PITA to work with under Windows. Capture as TS or M2TS instead. Videoredo has a free trial period.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Dec 2012 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have two Hauppauge devices and AviDemux is FIRST in line to edit the files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. In my experience AviDemux only works well with AVI and MPG. Once you start using TS, MKV, or MP4 files it screws up or crashes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In my experience AviDemux only works well with AVI and MPG. Once you start using TS, MKV, or MP4 files it screws up or crashes.
    Wouldn't that be because:
    MP4 is a PITA to work with under Windows.
    ?

I forgot to set WinTV7 to convert my Hauppauge recordings to straight mpeg2 files and it gave me TS files....AviDemux still deals with them flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Try h.264 video in TS from an HD PVR. It will crash and die.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try h.264 video in TS from an HD PVR. It will crash and die.
    You're probably right.....I'm still struggling to figure out what all of this has to do with a damaged cable.
    As I suspected from the very beginning....we are being "had".
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're probably right.....I'm still struggling to figure out what all of this has to do with a damaged cable.
    The HD PVR-2 captures via HDMI as well as a component, so perhaps he is using HDMI.

The cable and MP4 editor are separate problems. However, the OP seems dissatisfied with the answers he received in his other threads about his MP4/editing problems, and after Baldrick closed some of these other threads, he decided to tack his MP4/editing question onto this one.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Are you saying it can only record PS3 games? I thought you owned Two? What age are you? Trolling is a bit childish.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The HD PVR-2 captures via HDMI as well as a component, so perhaps he is using HDMI.

The cable and MP4 editor are separate problems. However, the OP seems dissatisfied with the answers he received in his other threads about his MP4/editing problems, and after Baldrick closed some of these other threads, he decided to tack his MP4/editing question onto this one.

I didn't even know the threads were closed. You need a component adapter for the PS3 because the PVR2 doesn't decrypt the HDCP (I think that's what it's called) encryption.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [

I didn't even know the threads were closed. You need a component adapter for the PS3 because the PVR2 doesn't decrypt the HDCP (I think that's what it's called) encryption.
    So, you are telling us that you have always used the faulty cable for capture?

If true that is surprising. It seemed unlikely to me that you would have been able to use a faulty cable successfully for capture. Since gamers sometimes have more than one console, I thought you might have used the HDMI connection with an XBOX 360 to make your captures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Are you saying it can only record PS3 games? I thought you owned Two? What age are you? Trolling is a bit childish.
    I own and use a Hauppauge PVR-350 card and a Hauppauge USB-Live2 stick. I've had Hauppauge stuff for YEARS and have never had an ounce of trouble with them. I've even gotten my USB device to do things it was never designed to do. Sure neither captures HD stuff but I've learned many work-arounds over the years.
    When you start telling us the truth about what you are doing....then even a childish troll like me would be willing to help.
    Usually_quiet seems to have summed it up nicely as well though....

Is it a bad cable or are you lying?
    Is it the provided editing software you cannot figure out and blaming it on the cable/unit?
    What is it?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Wtf is your problem, you weirdo? Do you work for this company or something? I bought a faulty product. It came with a faulty PS3 adapter cable but the PS3 isn't the only console I own. I recorded some Wii U footage but was unable to trim them without having to re-encode the MP4.

Update: PVR2 no longer works at all now. It's in the trash.

So I no longer require assistance
    Quote Quote