VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i often get confused how to deinterlace in the most appropriate way!
    pal to ntsc, ivtc, telecined, the frame rates, the interlaced frame count, purely progressive, hybrid, 3:2 pulldown, 2:3 pulldown, top field, dupe frames, bottom field 2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pull down and all these terms get me totally confused
    i've searching all over the internet, and gone through a huge number of guides but it left me confused more

i just want to figure out what how video has been encoded in my retail dvd, and how to deinterlace it in the most appropriate way in avisynth
    most of the time i try among 3 to 5 common/popular methods and get decent result
    but i really want to absorb the actual logic behind the operation rather than throwing stone in the dark

hundreds of users discussed thousands of time!
    if i start another one, will it be a crime??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just think of the numbers as how many time each film frame is repeated (except they are repeated as fields, not frames). Each digit represents one film frame. The value of the digit is how many times it's repeated.

3:2 and 2:3 pulldown are essentially the same thing, film frames are repeated 2 and 3 times, alternating between the two (2 film frames become 5 video fields, 24 film frames becomes 60 video fields). These is easily restored to 24 fps film frames in AviSynth with TFM().TDecimate(). Most interlaced NTSC DVDs will have this pattern.

3:2:3:2:2 (5 progressive frames become 12 video fields, 25 progressive frames becomes 60 video fields) is used to convert progressive 25 fps PAL to interlaced NTSC video. You won't see this very often. It can be restored to 25 fps with TFM().TDecimate(mode=2, rate=25).

2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 (12 film frames becomes 25 video fields, or 24 film frames becomes 50 video fields) is used for converting 24 progressive frames to 50 interlaced PAL fields. That can be restored with TFM().TDecimate(mode2, rate=24).
    Quote Quote  
  3. This mini guide might help you get started with the most common patterns

http://neuron2.net/faq.html#analysis
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanx, just the precise guide i wanted
    the best method of analyzing must be the naked eyes!

one more thing..... in one of my previous thread i was adviced " u'r video is telecined also, so u've to......." how to analyze and fix it

qtgmc is one of my favorite filters, how to use it with the previously suggested method?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    thanx, just the precise guide i wanted

one more thing..... in one of my previous thread i was adviced " u'r video is telecined also, so u've to......." how to analyze and fix it

qtgmc is one of my favorite filters, how to use it with the previously suggested method?

BUT if it's telecined, you DONT use qtgmc . You inverse telecine (IVTC) which is reverseing the process of telecine

IVTC and deinterlace are completely different things

Also, "Indian" DVD's are very rarely these clean cut "textbook" cases. Guys like manono can tell you more abou tthat
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    thanx, just the precise guide i wanted

BUT if it's telecined, you DONT use qtgmc . You inverse telecine (IVTC) which is reverseing the process of telecine

IVTC and deinterlace are completely different things

Also, "Indian" DVD's are very rarely these clean cut "textbook" cases. Guys like manono can tell you more abou tthat
    i tried to say that i want to use qtgmc along with the script jagabo suggested in case interlaced materials (not telecined)

should i just simply add
    qtgmc(settings="whatever")
    selecteven()
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    please manono sir, bring some light in my dark life
    Quote Quote  
  8. The short version is Indian DVD's are usually field blended . You can tell right away when you use SeparateFields() and step through it field by fields as that guide suggests
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    i tried to say that i want to use qtgmc along with the script jagabo suggested in case interlaced materials (not telecined)
    selecteven()
    You don't use TFM().TDecimate() for true interlaced video (60 different half pictures per second). Only telecined video (24 different pictures per second, packaged as 60 half pictures).

If you want to use QTGMC() as a post processing filter for noise reduction and sharpening you could add QTGMC().SelecteEven() after TFM().TDecimate(). But you'd probably be better of using dedicated noise reduction and sharpening filters.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2012 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    should i just simply add
    selecteven()
    Probably not. It might be telecined; it might be fieldblended, but movies usually shouldn't be just deinterlaced. I do it sometimes with PAL 25fps stuff when the fields don't line up properly, but for NTSC fieldblended or telecined stuff, never.
    please manono sir, bring some light in my dark life
    Please baunduley sir, upload us a sample from your film. 10 seconds with steady movement will be enough. Open a VOB in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small piece, and then go File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V here so we can have a look.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    not to thread hijack but it's a question i have and i'm sure the answer would help the OP as well: is there any software that can analyze a DVD and tell you what type, if any, of pulldown it uses, if it's hard or soft telecined, if it's true interlaced or if it's some sort of weird hybrid.

similar to the OP i have a bunch of Greek DVD's and i am having fits trying to "de-interlace" some of them them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    not to thread hijack but it's a question i have and i'm sure the answer would help the OP as well: is there any software that can analyze a DVD and tell you what type, if any, of pulldown it uses, if it's hard or soft telecined, if it's true interlaced or if it's some sort of weird hybrid.

similar to the OP i have a bunch of Greek DVD's and i am having fits trying to "de-interlace" some of them them.

yes there are e.g. megui - they can tell you some of that information , but all auto analysis tools can make errors. The only sure way is use your eyes
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    ...is there any software that can analyze a DVD and tell you what type, if any, of pulldown it uses, if it's hard or soft telecined, if it's true interlaced or if it's some sort of weird hybrid.
    The analyzer in AutoGK is still about the best there is and can tell hard from soft telecine and also spot true interlace and handle it appropriately. But it and any other analyzer will trip up with true hybrids, field-shifted video, field-blended video and some of the other tough ones.

In short, nothing beats the eyes to tell you what you have and how to deal with it.
    i have a bunch of Greek DVD's and i am having fits trying to "de-interlace" some of them them.
    Post some samples and we can tell you. And also teach you to do it on your own at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @manono
    as u said here goes the video clips
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/n1zv46
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/3f7xy5
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/slom31
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/0qqj3u
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/jkk3yy
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And also teach you to do it on your own at the same time.
    Last edited by baunduley; 10th Dec 2012 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Most of those are field blended. Use Yadif(mode=1) (or QTGMC()) followed by SRestore(). The second one was an exception, it was straight 3:2 pulldown flags. Use TFM().TDecimate(). Or, if the entire video the same, just use DgIndex in Force Film mode (then no IVTC necessary). In the future, upload segments with more motion, it's easier to see what's going on. Especially with low bitrate samples.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Dec 2012 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  16. for the second sample u suggested TFM().TDecimate()...but it left the fps 19.181. i don't think it should be!
    Quote Quote  
  17. make sure you have video=> field operation => "honor pulldown flags" in dgindex
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    for the second sample u suggested TFM().TDecimate()...but it left the fps 19.181. i don't think it should be!
    If you use Video -> Field Operation -> Honor Pulldown Flags in DgIndex use:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source(...)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    If you use Video -> Field Operation -> Forced Film in DgIndex use:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source(...)
    Only use Forced Film mode with sources that are nearly 100 percent film.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    does it mean a progressive source?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by baunduley View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    does it mean a progressive source?
    Yes. But VOB files can switch between progressive and interlaced at any time. If your source is much less than 100 percent "film" you will have problems with Forced Film mode.
    Quote Quote  
  21. cant de interlace this file

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fjwoo8

need your help

tried almost every filter, but all in vain..... cant do it properly
    Quote Quote  
  22. This comes pretty close:

Code:
    Yadif(mode=1, order=0)
    SRestore(frate=26)
    You might have to fine tune the frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, was trying that with variations of frate. It appears to drop a frame every few frames or so (every 20? 25? Hard to tell). Played frame by frame in VDub, I see a group of 5 interlaced or blended frames every now and then. Usually it looks like 3 or 4 frames in every group of 5. The blending varies.

Example: I see a frame dropped at frames 103-104.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  24. It's screwy all right. I agree that it's around 26fps (or a bit less). But getting there without dropping frames or getting too many dupes is the hard part. I had my best luck using this:

MPEG2Source("E:\Test\test.d2v")
    YLevelsS(0,10.0,255,0,255).Tweak(Bright=-5,Cont=0.9,Coring=False)
    Yadif(Mode=1)#or QTGMC
    CDeblend
    BlendBob()
    TDecimate(m2PA=True,maxndl=10,Mode=2,Rate=25.97)
    #it's less than 25.97fps but I got tired of messing with it.
    Crop(8,0,-14,-4)
    LanczosResize(640,480)

I see some dupes, very few remaining blends, but no obvious dropped frames. The Hindi DVDs are bad enough, but the Bengali DVDs (by Big Home and Angel) take poor quality to a whole new level.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, that do look complicated. Will give that a run tonight.

Really dark vid. Difficult to see what's going on. But that's another story.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Really dark vid. Difficult to see what's going on. But that's another story.
    Then brighten it up so you can see it until you've figured out what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote