Hello, I've changed the encoding to UTF-8 as stated on the guide in order to accept symbols or characters different to the English ones, but still everytime I translate any subtitle from English into Spanish, I save them and then open them again, what I find instead of 'á', 'é', 'í', 'ó', 'ú', 'ñ' or '¿' is an English interrogation mark.
Can anyone help me out? Probably there's something obvious but I can't see it.
Thanks in advance
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Try the menu: File -> Import subtitle with manually chosen encoding...
SE should auto-detect utf-8, so I would guess that the subtitles are not saved as utf-8.
Also, notepad auto-detects utf-8 well: Open the file in notepad, click "save as" and notepad will list the current encoding.
Also, you could be using the old WinXP and a non-unicode font...
I don't know about later windows versions, but in XP, unless and until you install the 2nd language, problems like those faced by you will be there. Just selecting UTF-8 in various programs will not work. I am sure that something will be there in later versions of windows as well.
The following might help you (you might need your Windows installation disk during the process) to install spanish in windows xp
Had helped someone in the past that had the same problem UNTIL he saved with notepad in ANSI instead of UTF-8. Try them both just to be safe.
Just as a side note, be careful before starting to blame fonts and operating systems. Except in the case of some obscure Eastern languages
( http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349912-Hardcoding-an-unicode-subtitle-to-a-video ),
Windows XP supports Unicode correctly and very-well. The truth is, many programmers still have an improper idea of the actual meaning and purpose of Unicode. Besides, the poor choice and/or usage of terminology (characters sets, encodings, code pages, UTF-8, UTF-16, UCS-2, ISO-10646, etc.) only leads to more and more confusion.
Last edited by El Heggunte; 14th Dec 2012 at 03:20.