VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there an unlock code for the Sony DVD player model BDP S490 when using the remote supplied with it (RMT-B119P)? I found an unlock sequence for when using the All4One URC 7740 remote but that is not the remote I have. Do I have to get that remote or is it possible to unlock the player with the remote as supplied?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You MUST buy the special All4One remote to have any chance for the unlocking to work.

This is Sony, so I must warn you that there is always some chance that you won't be able to unlock the player no matter what you do. Also, note that if you do get it unlocked that it will only be for DVD playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, bought an OneforAll URC 7130 remote and have followed all the instructions available on this forum, but still no joy!

As there are no specific instructions for this particular DVD player (or URC remote) I have used the sequence of numbers available from someone who reset their Sony BDP-S590 using a URC 3940 OneforAll remote AND, following no luck with those, the sequence of numbers available from someone who reset their Sony BDP-S480 using a 7562 OneforAll remote - as far as I could see the only difference between these 2 sets of instructions was in the initial code quoted at line 3.

But no success. And it's not clear whether the DVD needs to be ON or OFF when doing all this?

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You wasted your money.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some players can't EVER be unlocked, especially when dealing with Sony and Samsung. When you see instructions for a player who has a similar but slightly different model number, you can try them but they don't always work. Looks like in your case they didn't.

I don't understand what you mean when you say " it's not clear whether the DVD needs to be ON or OFF when doing all this?" What do you mean by "DVD"? DVD player? Well, yes, the player must be on to try to unlock it. If you mean something else, you'll have to explain your question better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, I meant the DVD player, sorry for my lack of precision. Thanks for confirming what I think is the case - the hacks don't work for this particular player with this particular URC! Damnation!
    Quote Quote  
  7. LATER ...

I found the hack below, and IT WORKED! So, for anyone else looking to unlock a SONY BDP S490 DVD player using a OneforAll URC Remote model 7130 here is the hack:

Region free BDP-S490 for DVD playback only, BD untested.

Full procedure for a oneforall remote is as follows:

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189 (if your oneforall remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice )

9. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    10. Press 994
    11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    12. Press 00255
    13. Press 2 ( this sets it to key 2 - it flashes twice )

14. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    15. Press 994
    16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    17. Press 00095
    18. Press 3 ( this sets it to key 3 - it flashes twice )

19. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    20. Press 994
    21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    22. Press 00221
    23. Press 4 ( this sets it to key 4 - it flashes twice )

24. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    25. Press 994
    26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    27. Press 00079
    28. Press 5 ( this sets it to key 5 - it flashes twice )

The remote is now programmed and ready to use, to make the BDP-S490 region free:

1. Use the remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby if it has gone into Standby - mine didn't, make sure there isn't a disc in it.
    2. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the oneforall remote. The message 'OK' will appear on the display.
    3. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote
    4. Next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback.

PHEW!
    Quote Quote  
  8. And just to add - the key difference as far as I could see with this solution and the other 2 I found on the Forum was the instructions at lines 8, 13, 18, 23 and 28 ie telling it that it is the specific key 1, 2, 3 etc.

Thank you Forum!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are one lucky man!

Thank you for sending the instructions to us so that others may benefit from it. That's still an awful lot of work (you have to press over 40 keys) to get it region free though. Better to buy another brand.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Lucky woman, actually! And I put it down to perseverence, dogged determination and infinite patience rather than luck! Besides, what's one lot of 40+ key strokes when set against the cost of replacing a lifetime's collection of Region 1 DVDs (our old machine had been professionally 'fixed' many years ago)? And there is no other brand, surely?!?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ha ha. We don't get a lot of women here. Sometimes we get men posing as women as they incorrectly think that's the only way they'll get help. Most people in general (well, at least in North America) don't know anything about DVD region codes and it's pretty rare to find women who know anything about it.

Philips, Pioneer and sometimes LG tend to make more consumer friendly players. Philips has some BluRay players that can be made region free for DVD playback. Sometimes off brand Chinese players like Insignia can also be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! This hack is official and it does work. I must say, Thank you Cluelesstechie. .
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks guys for posting this, i just fixed my BDP s490 to be multi region on DVD playback also. The player was a <free> gift with new 3D TV and my old Sony had been fixed to be region one, so the new one needed to be done as well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much to the poster who found this hack!
    I want to contribute my own experience. Following the procedure detailed above I was able to unlock my BD player bought in Germany (Sony BDP S490). I have done this using a One For All remote bought in Argentina (where I live); the model of the remote is: URC 11-3840 R01
    The only modification I had to introduce to the procedure is the following:
    Step 3: instead of typing 0533 I typed 00533 as this remote uses 5 digits for the codes. I first tried with 20533 which is the code for Sony DVD players according to the manual, but that didn't work.
    So there you have it, this works like magic.
    Thanks again, you made my day!!

MarceloV
    Quote Quote