VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,
    I have not done much video copying or editing for a few years now. Much of the software that I formerly used no longer runs in Windows 7.
    I could scan through the tools on this site and try to find ones that would work, but I thought it might be better to ask.
    I am looking for recommendations for software, either free or pay, that would do a good job of converting some old VHS tapes into video that can be burned to a DVD.
    I already have a VHS tape recorder
    My PC has an AMD Phenom II X4 925 processor (quad core)
    6 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 video
    Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D

I have an old copy of DVD Shrink. Nero 10, latest AnyDVD, Clone CD and latest DVD Fab HD Decrypter

Other than these, just assume I don't have anything and tell me what I should buy and/or download in addition or instead of the above.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    none of what you have will convert analog vhs to digital. you need to purchase a hardware device to connect the vhs player to the computer and capture it. search for analog to digital converters.

if it's just one tape it would be cheaper to send it out.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Many of us use Hauppauge capture cards. The Colossus model is really nice in that is has a hidden TBC that you can turn on via a Windows registry edit. This might be useful if your old tapes have tearing issues (video looks bent) or there is Macrovision on commercial tapes you wish to record. On the downside, the card only records in H.264 audio and AAC audio (well, AC3 is possible, but not from videotape sources) and those must be converted to go on DVD. The old Hauppauge PVR-250/350 (if they still make them) worked well to record from videotape too, but they lack a TBC. They do record in DVD compliant video/audio though.

The term you really need to search for is "video capture card" and NOT "analog to digital converter". Analog to digital converters encompass a whole variety of things, many of which have nothing to do with the task at hand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hanging on to a Hauppauge PVR-250 just for VHS to DVD capture. The Mpeg2 encoder is light on CPU resources, and the quality is acceptable (VHS being what it is). I do feed it from a Panasonic AG-1980 and have a DataVideo TBC and Elite Video BVP-4 available in the event that I need them. In the event the panny doesn't play well, I have several other VCRs at my disposal.

I do have another machine with a PVR-150 (weaker little brother of the 250) installed, and even have an AverMedia capture card available - but did not find the capture to be as good as the Hauppauge cards.

Good luck on finding the solution!
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote