VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Running Windows 7 Ultra; I use Avira antivirus, free edition, and am very satisfied with it. I have blocked the ad nag screens by denying permissions for them as follows (Avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe):
    Browse to Explore/Programs x86/Avira>Avira Desktop>avnotify.exe>right click>Properties>Security>Edit>Deny all, Ok my way out.

I do this for both files. I have never been annoyed by nag screens, either from full-screen ads or pop-ups in the system tray. However, lately I have been getting the system tray pop-ups. I notice when I enter ipmgui.exe, the permissions are set back to Allow! This has happened several times. How can Avira do this?? I am the Administrator and only I am allowed to reset permissions. I notice this seems to happen after major updates. I also notice that I am getting system tray ad pop-ups even though Impgui.exe is denied in my permissions and blocked in Comodo Firewall. Does anyone have any suggestions on how Avira is doing this and how to stop it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    Running Windows 7 Ultra; I use Avira antivirus, free edition, and am very satisfied with it. I have blocked the ad nag screens by denying permissions for them as follows (Avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe):
    Browse to Explore/Programs x86/Avira>Avira Desktop>avnotify.exe>right click>Properties>Security>Edit>Deny all, Ok my way out.

I do this for both files. I have never been annoyed by nag screens, either from full-screen ads or pop-ups in the system tray. However, lately I have been getting the system tray pop-ups. I notice when I enter ipmgui.exe, the permissions are set back to Allow! This has happened several times. How can Avira do this?? I am the Administrator and only I am allowed to reset permissions. I notice this seems to happen after major updates. I also notice that I am getting system tray ad pop-ups even though Impgui.exe is denied in my permissions and blocked in Comodo Firewall. Does anyone have any suggestions on how Avira is doing this and how to stop it?
    Method 1 - Blocked it and remove all users in security, included trust and system users. Only your user and OK.

Method 2 - Open regedit and edit all parameters to blocked too. Deny all users minus your.

No more reset changes.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Claudio, I tried your suggestion. I had one update that required a restart, and so far so good! The settings appear to be holding and so far no nag screens. Instead of setting permissions on the ipmgui.exe registry entries, I just nuked all of them. We will see what happens, but so far it's good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another method to remove annoying Avira ad nag screen
    Its simple:

1)Uninstall Avira

2)Install free MSE or Avast
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the story continues. I set both System and Users to denied both avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe; now Windows pops up a generated system screen stating that access is not permitted. Annoying. In addition, they now want a reboot every time they update the indexes, and after the reboot all the permissions are reset back to allowed. So... after years of using Avira, I think I will move to Avast. Hopefully they will not have nag screens. Thanks for the suggestions. Just as a thought, I still can't understand how Avira can override the System Administrator's permissions settings. What's the point of them if any outfit can change them as they please??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the story continues. I set both System and Users to denied both avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe; now Windows pops up a generated system screen stating that access is not permitted. Annoying. In addition, they now want a reboot every time they update the indexes, and after the reboot all the permissions are reset back to allowed. So... after years of using Avira, I think I will move to Avast. Hopefully they will not have nag screens. Thanks for the suggestions. Just as a thought, I still can't understand how Avira can override the System Administrator's permissions settings. What's the point of them if any outfit can change them as they please??
    I install AVIRA in my virtual machine. Tomorrow go back to news.

I will find the solution.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just as a thought, I still can't understand how Avira can override the System Administrator's permissions settings. What's the point of them if any outfit can change them as they please??
    Possibly Avira's setup is under the protection of the stupid "Trusted Installer" thing.
    That's the Microsoft worldview, "the end-user is always an idiot".
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 3rd Dec 2012 at 02:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all, and Claudio; I haven't seen any other complaints in the forums, it seems like this only happens to me (?). I wonder if there is some kind of setting in my system that allows Avira to do this. Attached are the notices I am getting now every time the indexes update. There is a new file in the Avira Desktop directory now, "restart"; I set permissions to block all, interesting to see what happens.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2012-12-03 at 03.19.05.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	14961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2012-12-03 at 03.23.40.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14962  

Quote Quote