VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of DVB subtitle extraction using ProjectX (or anything similar)? I've thus far managed to output some ugly but workable SUP and SUB files from a .TS recording of BBC channels, but supposedly it should also be possible to output .srt (though I'm wondering if this refers to what I'm assuming are now-defunct teletext subtitles, as opposed to digital image-based ones). Furthermore, the SUB/IDX files are supposed to be able to retain the formatting of the original DVB subs, whereas mine look chunky and off-colour.

Suffice to say, if anyone with a wealth of experience in this area can advise (or suggest a better tutorial than I've managed to find thus far), that would be appreciated!

On a purely technical note, what is the difference between closed-captioned subtitles and DVB subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MaxWren
    If you have the ProjectX settings correct, you can get the BMP images of the subtitles and, more importantly, the video.sup.idx and its partner video.sup.sub as well as video.son. With DirectVobSub installed Players such as Media Player will play the subtitles if it and video.sup.idx and video.sup.sub are named the same and in the same folder:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_353 Nov. 29 23.10.jpg
Views:	6639
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	14918
    If you want the subtiles in SRT format, drop the video.sup.sub OR the video.son into Subtitle Edit and they both read well and can be saved ast SRT. The palette and Timings are also stored in the video.sup.idx file and can be viewed by using a Hex editor such as HxD. Below are the images of what I am talking about:

Name:	ScreenHunter_350 Nov. 29 22.55.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	14921

Name:	ScreenHunter_349 Nov. 29 22.54.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	14920

Name:	ScreenHunter_351 Nov. 29 22.56.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	14919
    You can also pull the timings from the video.sup.idx as well:

Name:	ScreenHunter_354 Nov. 29 23.19.jpg
Views:	6334
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	14922Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_355 Nov. 29 23.20.jpg
Views:	6457
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	14924
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaxWren View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of DVB subtitle extraction using ProjectX (or anything similar)? I've thus far managed to output some ugly but workable SUP and SUB files from a .TS recording of BBC channels, but supposedly it should also be possible to output .srt (though I'm wondering if this refers to what I'm assuming are now-defunct teletext subtitles, as opposed to digital image-based ones). Furthermore, the SUB/IDX files are supposed to be able to retain the formatting of the original DVB subs, whereas mine look chunky and off-colour.

Suffice to say, if anyone with a wealth of experience in this area can advise (or suggest a better tutorial than I've managed to find thus far), that would be appreciated!

On a purely technical note, what is the difference between closed-captioned subtitles and DVB subtitles?
    I've written a guide for ProjectX for Australian conditions and can be found under my signature - The Oz system was the same as BBC some years ago but things have changed in Europe but not down here. I would appreciate if you could post a MediaInfo report on one of your TS files. Teletext is defunct here but the page number for extraction remains the same (801) and you can certainly get srt or sup and sub depending on what you choose in the dropdown menu in ProjectX.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice! I think, based on the above screenshots, I've already got things looking about as good as they're going to get (I'm already using the excellent Subtitle Edit to convert to srt, but I was under the impression - probably mistakenly - that Projext X outputted srt directly).

Re: a MediaInfo report, I'll try and record something this evening with DVB subtitles and post thereafter (I can also upload a small fragment of video if anyone wants a look).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought it did too and maybe someone else can help here but I can not ALWAYS get it to. The TS file I used above has teletext/DVB according to MediaInfo but no setting I've tried will save it. May I ask what method you use from ProjectX to get your SRT? Is it similar or different altogether?
    Thanks

Text
    ID : 533 (0x215)
    Menu ID : 8325 (0x2085)
    Format : DVB Subtitle
    Codec ID : 6
    Duration : 19s 468ms
    Delay relative to video : 649ms
    Language : English

Menu
    ID : 258 (0x102)
    Menu ID : 8325 (0x2085)
    Duration : 22s 294ms
    List : 530 (0x212) (MPEG Video) / 531 (0x213) (MPEG Audio, English) /
    532 (0x214) (MPEG Audio) / 533 (0x215) (DVB Subtitle, English) /
    2100 (0x834) () / 2102 (0x836) () / 2302 (0x8FE) () / 2301 (0x8FD) ()
    Language : / English / / English
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never managed to get an SRT from Project X, only by OCRing the SUP file via Subtitle Edit >> that's why I was curious to know if it could be done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ProjectX can extract srt subtitles as long as the broadcaster is including text based subs - they may also include graphics format as well.

Reproduced below is a complete MediaInfo report on a typical Australian transmission from ABCTV the local equivalent of the BBC. As you can see there is a text based subtitle stream. ProjectX can extract this either as a srt or similar text based sub and it can produce a graphic version.

If the broadcaster only includes a graphic based subtitle stream then ProjectX cannot convert it to text based, you need an OCR program for that.

Code:
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    File size                                : 2.57 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1h 5mn
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 5 579 Kbps

Video
    ID                                       : 512 (0x200)
    Menu ID                                  : 545 (0x221)
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID                                 : 2
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 5 045 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                         : 10 000 Kbps
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan order                               : Top Field First
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.487
    Stream size                              : 2.32 GiB (90%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 650 (0x28A)
    Format                                   : MPEG Audio
    Format version                           : Version 1
    Format profile                           : Layer 2
    Codec ID                                 : 4
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 256 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                         : 288 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : -649ms
    Stream size                              : 121 MiB (5%)
    Language                                 : English

Text
    ID                                       : 576 (0x240)-801
    Format                                   : Teletext Subtitle
    Language                                 : English

Menu
    ID                                       : 256 (0x100)
    List                                     : 512 (0x200) (MPEG Video) / 576 (0x240) () / 650 (0x28A) (MPEG Audio, English)
    Language                                 :  /  / English
    Maximum bit rate                         : 7048000
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, that confirms what I suspected. Unless anyone has reason to believe otherwise, I don't think any of the European channels have text-based subtitles (at least none that I have access to >> U.K., Poland, France and Germany).

Does Australia offer text-based subtitles because they still have analogue broadcasts, or is this just a different kind of service?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the MediaInfo information from a DVB recording I've just made:

General
    ID : 1 (0x1) Complete name : I:\TV Recordings\Attenborough- 60 Years in the Wild_BBC 2 England.ts Format : MPEG-TS File size : 188 MiB Duration : 6mn 0s Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 4 384 Kbps

Video

ID : 552 (0x228) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : MPEG Video Format version : Version 2 Format profile : Main@Main Format settings, BVOP : Yes Format settings, Matrix : Custom Format settings, GOP : Variable Codec ID : 2 Duration : 6mn 0s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 3 715 Kbps Maximum bit rate : 15.0 Mbps Width : 720 pixels Height : 576 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Standard : PAL Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Interlaced Scan order : Top Field First Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.358 Stream size : 160 MiB (85%)

Audio #1

ID : 554 (0x22A) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 2 Codec ID : 3 Duration : 6mn 0s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 224 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 9.63 MiB (5%) Language : nar

Audio #2

ID : 555 (0x22B) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 2 Codec ID : 3 Duration : 6mn 0s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 224 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Delay relative to video : 14ms Stream size : 9.63 MiB (5%) Language : English

Text

ID : 551 (0x227) Menu ID : 1 (0x1) Format : DVB Subtitle Codec ID : 6 Duration : 5mn 57s Delay relative to video : 2s 813ms Language : English
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are DVB bitmap subs according to your Mediainfo report (BTW with MediaInfo use Tree - Text format as you can just copy and paste, makes it a lot easier to read than the way you did) therefore all you can do is OCR them. ProjectX can't convert them to text based. There is a thread on Doom from 2009 discussing this. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1303582#post1303582

i know there are 2 types of subtitles (teletext and dvb bitmap). teletext is pretty much soon to be dead in the uk so i'm not really interested in it. i can rip dvb subs with Projectx as bitmaps (.sup ans sup/idx) just fine. the problem lies in the OCR, i haven't found the right solution for that yet (with subrip or anything else). the fonts on the subs are all the same for all the recordings i have made so it should be very possible. here is a link to some .ts files.
    So it seems the UK is not transmitting both type.

Also see this http://www.acessibilidade.net/tdt/DVB_Subtitling_FAQ.pdf
    Last edited by netmask56; 30th Nov 2012 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip Re: Mediainfo (I wasn't quite sure what format to use). In summary, it seems I'm using ProjectX correctly >> thanks to everyone for all the help!
    Quote Quote