VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I've been using FDDShow with Media Player 11, I'd probably use a different player if I had a choice but am running media center on my XP PC.

Media Player 11 appears to have it's own inbuilt codecs, and has a mind of it's own about which of these to use when playing a video file, however it does recognise and obey the codec settings in FFDShow.

Therefore whatever codecs I select in the decoder list of FFDShow are then used by media player and so I can experiment by using different codecs to play a video.

However the codecs in FFDShow's list are rather limited, for example:

XVID: available options are disabled, Libacodec or Xvid

DIVX4/5/6: options are disabled or Libacodec

If I set these to disabled then media player appears to use it's own inbuilt codecs and ignores any other third party decoders I have installed.

I have DivX9 and other codecs installed on the PC which I'd like to test out, but they do not appear as available decoders in FFDShow and therefore I cannot select them to use with media player.

Does anyone perhaps know a way of adding codecs to the list of decoders in FFDSHow?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't add any external decoders to ffdshow.

If you want to use the divx codec you install it and it should probably be used. But I don't know any good method to check what decoder that wmp uses...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How to add codecs to ffdshow? - become one of the fffshow programmers, or ask one of the existing programmers to code for you (and better hope they really like you).

I think you are understanding neither how ffdshow nor how wmp works. Time to do some homework...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I do have a good understanding of how FFDShow, codecs and merit settings work (thank you), since when I use other players like BSPlayer I can select whatever codec I want to use and there is no problem.

The difficulty only really arises with media player 11 which I am forced to use since I have a media center pc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    There aren't many "EXTERNAL" decoders which can be "called" (so to speak) by ffdshow. Xvidcore and the WMV9 DMO are two of them, but DivX is not. If you want to find out which filters are being used by WMP, you've got to use "DirectShow Filter Graph Spy" PLUS Graphstudio. If you DON'T have Windows 7, it's not that difficult to mess around with the merits of the codecs in order to force WMP to use the codecs you want.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Nov 2012 at 16:17. Reason: better wording
    Quote Quote  
  6. Only other way I know to get third party codecs to work is by turning off the default codec on Windows. You can use Win7DSFilterTweaker to turn it off. Then use Graphedit or Graphstudio to test it out.
    Quote Quote