VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So up until now I've happily ripped DVDs using the Divx Converter program to AVI files to watch on my old 27" tube TV. Everything worked fine.

I'm now upgrading to an HDTV and setting up a PC to run XBMC via an HDMI connection so I want to start ripping things in much better quality. I'm looking for advice and info on the various options that are out there. I know lots of these questions have probably been answered in other threads but I haven't found all the answers in one place to get a good discussion going.

This applies to regular DVDs, not Blu Rays as I don't have a Blu Ray Drive.

So here goes...

FORMAT
    What is the best format to use for high quality while maintaining low file size? I'm familiar with MP4 and MKV files. Is that pretty much the standard these days? What about AVI files with higher quality settings? Any reason to look at that at all?

Also, what is the difference between MP4 and MKV files? It's the same file inside with a different wrapper right? So why would I choose one over the other?

SOFTWARE
    So the Divx Converter program has a setting called Plus HD that creates MKV files. I've also used Handbrake which creates MKV or MP4 files. I've seen people recommend using HB with a setting 19 or so as a good place to start. Does HB do things that Divx doesn't? Are there certain options to set or change to get better quality rips if time is not a concern?

I did a test with two DVDs and ran one through Divx Converter with the settings up top and one with HB with the 19 setting to MKV. The resulting files are:

DVD1 (Magic Mike)
    Divx - 1.2 gigs - 856 x 360
    HB - 700 Megs - 720 x 362

DVD2 (Snow White and the Huntsman)
    Divx - 1.5 gigs - 856 x 368
    HB - 1.1 gigs - 720 x 364

I'm not sure on the best way to compare the quality (can I run two instances of VLC at once maybe?) but the file sizes are obviously different and the resolution are quite different as well. Really not sure why the resolutions are off.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info, advice, links, tutorials, etc anyone can offer!

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually you're not "ripping" anything. You are "converting". Please use the term correctly around here. Yes, we know that many dumbass companies like DVDFab and others deliberately use "rip" to mean "convert", but here we don't. You joined 9 years ago. Use the right term and it will go along better here. "Ripping" means copying the contents of a DVD, CD or BD disc to a PC and decrypting those contents if necessary. That's it.

Now after correcting you, I don't want you to get all pissy and think that I am taking a shot at you as I am not criticizing you at all in what I'm going to say next. But you do need to understand what Divx Converter is. Divx Converter is a tool designed for idiots to use. That does NOT mean that I am calling you an idiot. Not at all. So don't get all defensive and bent out of shape. Divx Converter doesn't allow users to set any options except output format because the Divx guys wanted a tool simple enough for idiots to use. That is what is wrong with it. After 9 years of membership and based on your post, clearly you know enough that you don't need a tool for idiots. Handbrake allows you to have more control over the output. Trust me - you're definitely at a point where you don't need the kind of hand holding that Divx Converter does. Your Divx Converter files are likely to be of better quality simply because they appear to be using a higher bit rate, but there's no reason at all that you couldn't get superior files out of Handbrake with higher bit rates than you used above.

H.264 video inside MKV is pretty much the standard these days for high quality and low file size. MP4 is a limited container type and in my opinion should be avoided in favor of MKV unless you have a very strong reason for needing MP4. Basically MP4 has some audio restrictions that MKV does not, but essentially both can handle H.264 video.

I don't use Handbrake so I'm not the best person to advise you on it. However, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with good old Divx or Xvid in AVI containers, but you do need roughly twice the bit rate to get equivalent quality you'd get out of using H.264. Some old DVD players may only support AVI so that's one reason someone might still use it. Also, Divx/Xvid are very CPU friendly and old one core CPUs can play HD video that uses Divx/Xvid that would choke the CPU if it was H.264.

I'm a bit puzzled at the resolution differences too, but I think it may be a "round vs. square pixels" thing and I don't understand that well enough to comment on it. Just play the files at the largest size your screen can support and watch the same parts and see which you prefer. Divx Converter keeps things really simple (again, it's a tool for idiots) so you could probably change a few settings in Handbrake and make some small improvements.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you're right. Didn't realize I was in the wrong forum. I guess I should move this over to the conversion forum. I do rip with DVDFab but then convert with the other programs.

Continue in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/351168-Converting-from-DVD-VOB-to-MKV-Best-program-...21#post2202221
    Last edited by Baldrick; 28th Nov 2012 at 12:05. Reason: link to new thread