VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i! Please please help me, I want to play a subtitle on my MKV movie files from my USB to be played on PS3 but nothing seems to work... I have tried muxing subttiles with TSMUXER, MKV2VOB, MKVtool, MKVTOOLNIXetc but everytime I do it, there is still no subtitle options on the movie I played, I also tried Subler to convert it to MP4 and pressd the hard coded sub, still no subtitles... I've been reading and readin for almost 2 weeks now and still nothing works... Please please help me... it will be highly appreciated.

NOTE: I want to watch it with the same quality as it is. I've tried and read about hard coding it tho, it takes too much time like hours of encoding also it could hurt the video quality, maybe there are other ways with shorter encoding time? thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What format are the subtitles in the original MKV? If you're not sure, run the MKV through a utility like VideoSpec or iMediaHUD, which will give you more information about the MKV.

I don't think the PS3 really has that many options when it comes to switchable subs, but I could be wrong. MP4s certainly only support a smaller amount of text-based subtitles (such as SRT and one or two other simple subtitle formats).

Hard-coding the subtitles can be generally as fast as any other video re-encoding done on your system. Of course, any re-encoding will mean a drop in quality; whether or not that's significant will depend upon your settings and how the end result looks to you.

You may be able to use Handbrake to generate an MP4 with hardsubs for the PS3, though. I'm not at a system with it installed, but I think it should have a PS3 preset, so you can always try that and see if the quality of the encoding is acceptable for you.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thanks for replying, appreciate it so much! The subtitles are in SRT, I've tried using handbreak but whenever I played the movie file on the ps3, there are still no subtitle options? maybe I am missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  4. In Handbrake you need to check the Burned In checkbox - however SRT can't be used. It need to be VOBSUB or SSA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's the thing It doesnt have that SSA option on HANDBREAK... it only has the SRT option.. it looks like this...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 2.29.26 AM.png
Views:	322
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	14873  

Quote Quote  
  6. It has to be muxed into your source video. You select it through a drop-down menu like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	14875
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see, it wont et me add my .ssa file on it.. only srt... am i missing something?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 3.04.08 PM.png
Views:	262
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	14879  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 3.06.25 PM.png
Views:	334
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	14880  

Quote Quote  
  8. You can't import an external SSA file into HandBrake. It need to be muxed into your source HOMELAND.....MKV (However I don't see the drop-dop box shown in my previous post in your pictures. Is this a mac version ? Mine is Windows)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it is mac... ~_~ im really getting frustrating about this... and yes i wil try to mux the subtitles first into the mkv then put it in hand break... and then tick the burned in subtitle? or the forced one?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You should tick Burned In. You must have something similar to the drop-down box shown in my previous post on a mac.
    Quote Quote  
  11. PS3 is picky when it comes to subs. One way might be to use PS Media Server which is free.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VIDEOBURGER, I tried to do what u said, I mud the .SSA subtitles firt with my MKV movie and then put it in hand break, there now I saw the .SSA subtitles ticked burned in, then after 4 hrs after encoding, there's still no subtitles encoded on the file... =(,... it's getting frustrating,... I ve tried almost everything...=(
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HANDYGUY, I know about that, but PS3 media server can be really slow and lag-y when it comes to HD movie files escpecially if you are just using wifi,..=( please help me with this..=(
    Quote Quote  
  14. I can see why you get frustrated so here's a couple of things.

First at the top of the screen in Handbrake where it says Source you can select Chapters. In the drop-down you may also select a time interval so try to select a couple of minutes for test so you don't have to waste 4 hrs.

Second you may find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpH6jbEF4o from utube helpful (the first I could find - perhaps there are better ones)

Thirdly if you can't suceed with Handbrake you might consider alternatives like MediaCoder (Multiplatform). It has a Device Edition http://www.mediacoderhq.com/device/psp.htm for PSP and can use your SRT file directly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Videoburger, I'll try this very soon and get back at you about it... please dont give up on me...~_~ lol thank u so much!
    Quote Quote