VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all, I've been searching this forum for the past 2 weeks trying to find a solution to my problem.

Basically I have a bullet camera which I use for in-car recording of motor racing. It records 1080p 30fps. The problem is when I author it onto a PAL DVD the racing becomes blured and looks dull and film like (due to being Progressive?)

What I would like you experts to tell me is if there is anyway I can interlace this footage to burn onto a Pal DVD and make it look good. I might like to point out this will be played back on a CRT Widescreen TV.

I will need some step by step guides please as I'm a novice at this

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Prototype_uk; 26th Nov 2012 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You realize 720i isn't any standard, and definitely not a DVD standard? Did you mean 576i? Converting your 1080p30 video to 576i25 isn't going to help with blurriness or dull colors. It will make the video play a little smoother than 576p25 though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You realize 720i isn't any standard, and definitely not a DVD standard? Did you mean 576i? Converting your 1080p30 video to 576i25 isn't going to help with blurriness or dull colors. It will make the video play a little smoother than 576p25 though.
    Yes sorry I ment 576i25, I had 720x576i in my mind lol

Playing a little smoother would be acceptable, can you guide me through how to do it please?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know what editors have the ability. I would use an AviSynth script. You probably don't want to go that route but here's a sample script:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.ext") # open a 1080p30 source
    AssumeTFF() # top field first is more common for DVD
    BicubicResize(720,576) # DVD compatible frame size
    ChangeFPS(50) # duplicate frames to make 50 fps
    SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave() # make it 25i
    You would then encode that with any MPEG 2 encoder that supports AviSynth scripts as input (HcGUI, for example). Encode interlaced, top field first, flag it as 16:9.

That will play a little smoother than a straight conversion from 30p to 25p. Some people think field blending looks a little smother. If you want to try that replace the ChangeFPS(50) in the above script with ConvertFPS(50).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know what editors have the ability. I would use an AviSynth script. You probably don't want to go that route but here's a sample script:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.ext") # open a 1080p30 source
    AssumeTFF() # top field first is more common for DVD
    BicubicResize(720,576) # DVD compatible frame size
    ChangeFPS(50) # duplicate frames to make 50 fps
    SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave() # make it 25i
    You would then encode that with any MPEG 2 encoder that supports AviSynth scripts as input (HcGUI, for example). Encode interlaced, top field first, flag it as 16:9.

That will play a little smoother than a straight conversion from 30p to 25p. Some people think field blending looks a little smother. If you want to try that replace the ChangeFPS(50) in the above script with ConvertFPS(50).

Thank you I will try this. Can you tell me how to get AviSynth to work please? I have installed it and I have VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod but I cannot work out how to use AviSynth

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could start here: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/First_script

Once you have something loaded up, you can copy&paste jagabo's script.
    Quote Quote  
  7. AviSynth scripts are simple text files but they use .AVS as the extension, not .TXT. You can use any text editor to create and edit them. After installing AviSynth there should be an Explorer context menu item to help you make them. Right click in any folder and select New -> AviSynth Script. That will create an empty AviSynth script with the correct extension. AviSynth should also installed the file association for .AVS. If you double click on it Notepad should open the file. Then you can paste the script I gave you into the file (don't forget to change "filename.ext" to reflect the filename of your source video). Open the file in VirtualDub as if it was an AVI file, File -> Open Video File (don't use File -> Run Script, that's for VirtualDub scripts, not AviSynth scripts).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AviSynth scripts are simple text files but they use .AVS as the extension, not .TXT. You can use any text editor to create and edit them. After installing AviSynth there should be an Explorer context menu item to help you make them. Right click in any folder and select New -> AviSynth Script. That will create an empty AviSynth script with the correct extension. AviSynth should also installed the file association for .AVS. If you double click on it Notepad should open the file. Then you can paste the script I gave you into the file (don't forget to change "filename.ext" to reflect the filename of your source video). Open the file in VirtualDub as if it was an AVI file, File -> Open Video File (don't use File -> Run Script, that's for VirtualDub scripts, not AviSynth scripts).
    Great stuff thank you so much. Does HcGUI do the audio or will I have to add it separately?
    Quote Quote  
  9. HcGUI only does the video.
    Quote Quote