VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question here about backing up system image file. Lets say that I have done a backup of a system image of windows 7 into an external disk. Is it possible for me to back up the already backed up system image? I need to know this because the original backup I did couldn't be restored because the HDD that it was created from was 500 GB (I just used 100GB,though) and now I am
    trying to restore it into a 240GB . So what I am trying to do now is shrinking the partition of the orginal backup and re-image it to crerate another backup from a smaller drive than the newly installed SSD.
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is a good question and it deserves a better answer than I can give you. But nobody else has responded.

I work in IT as a Linux system administrator and I don't really have a lot of knowledge of Windows backup programs. Generally speaking, trying to restore an image backup to a smaller disk drive than your backup was originally made on is either very difficult or impossible. I do not know of a way to backup your backup image and produce a smaller image file that will fit on an SSD. The SSD manufacturers have software programs that enable you to migrate your operating system and files from the original drive to an SSD. Maybe you need to look for and use such a program instead of what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote