VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I use Handbrake to convert a 1080p video clip to 1080i? If so do I go to video filters to do it? Also, my original video is Varible bit rate, should I keep it Variable or do Constant?
    James
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, can someone please tell me how to convert my 1080p 59fps video files that I just put into Multiavchd, into 1080i video files. Then I plan on using imgburn to burn them onto a BD-R and play on my PS3. The whole reason is that I want another place to store these videos and make it easy for my wife to watch them. I could just leave it as 1080p 59fps but am worried about some stuttering with the video due to PS3 POSSIBLE incapability of playing 1080p 59fps files burnred on a BD-R. I already know it can play 1080i 59fps files burned onto a BD-R without a hitch as I have already done this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it were me, rather than worrying about what Sony might/might not do in the future to the PS3, and wasting my time and resources trying to combat what might/might not happen, the simplest solution would be to buy a proper Blu-Ray disk player that does not enforce Cinavia DRM/watermarking. This is a good time of the year to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the recent LG Blu-ray players?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    Like the recent LG Blu-ray players?
    Can't vouch for LG. I bought one about 5 months ago before doing the proper research and found that it does enforce Cinavia DRM/watermarking.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is Cinavia DRM/watermarking? I am looking for a Blu-ray player that simply plays my 1920x1080p 59fps video, either from a usb or from a bd-r. Right now, my current PS3 only plays a bd-r that is 1080i 59fps or 720p 59fps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is Cinavia DRM/watermarking? I am looking for a Blu-ray player that simply plays my 1920x1080p 59fps video, either from a usb or from a bd-r. Right now, my current PS3 only plays a bd-r that is 1080i 59fps or 720p 59fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    What is Cinavia DRM/watermarking?
    The audio on Blu-ray discs can contain a Cinavia watermark. When a player detects the watermark in any media other than an official Blu-ray disc release it will stop playing the audio after a while.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well I just recently, using multiavchd & imgburn, authored and burned AVCHD 1920x1080p 29fps, .mts video. I authored it and burned it onto a BD-R and it plays FLAWLESSLY on my PS3. I did it 2x in the last week.
    James
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i still have not gotten an answer about using handbrake to convert 1080p to 1080i
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    i still have not gotten an answer about using handbrake to convert 1080p to 1080i
    I'm pretty sure Handbrake cannot do that natively. You can use an AviSynth script to convert your 1080p60 source to 1080i30, then encode that with Handbrake by manually enabling interlaced encoding in the codec.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344902-Detelecine-decomb-issues?p=2151515&viewfull=1#post2151515

Code:
    ffVideoSource("filename.ext") #60p
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave() # 30i, TFF
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I used your "tff" idea and the video came out great and under mediainfo under Scan type: MBAFF. What does this mean? Is the video now interlaced? I kept it 1080 and 59fps. I tried using avisynth but that just runs in the background and then what do I do to change the code?
    Quote Quote  
  13. h.264 has advanced interlace encoding where parts of the frame can be encoded interlaced, parts progressive, MBAFF (also PAFF where entire frames can be progressive or interlaced). That gives better quality and compression for most material.

But if you encoded your 60p video simply by using the tff flag in Handbrake you have 120 fields per second video. You need to remove half the field before encoding to get 60 fields per second (30i).

To use AviSynth you create a text script with the extension AVS. Paste in the script I gave and save it. Then open that AVS file in an editor as if it was a video file. I thought Handbrake would accept AviSynth scripts but I just tried it and it didn't work. You'll have to use some other encoder. Maybe Xvid4PSP or MeGUI. I use the x264 CLI encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But if you encoded your 60p video simply by using the tff flag in Handbrake you have 120 fields per second video. You need to remove half the field before encoding to get 60 fields per second (30i).
    If I don't remove half the field before encoding, will I have (60i)? If so, I am fine with that, cause my goal is to create 1920x1080i 59fps to author/burn onto a bd-r and then play on my ps3.

Back to the avisynth thing: I see your script:

ffVideoSource("filename.ext") #60p AssumeTFF() SeparateFields() SelectEvery(4,0,3) Weave() # 30i, TFF
    But

WHERE am I supposed to paste this exactly? I have Xvid4PSP. Ok I see, in the CLI part of the custom video encoding. They also have a Fake interlaced option. I wonder what this is?
    Last edited by jbitakis; 27th Nov 2012 at 01:04.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Create a new text file with the extension ".avs", for example "video.avs" and paste those lines there. Make sure it's not "video.avs.txt", depending on your settings Windows might hide the extension. That file will now work as an .avi file would (with any editor/encoder that recognizes avisynth).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    If I don't remove half the field before encoding, will I have (60i)?
    No. What's happened is that marketing has started calling 30i (30 frames per second, two fields per frame) 60i simply because they think bigger numbers sound better. This is to trick purchasers into thinking their 60i camera is better than the competitor's 30i camera. Using that definition, what you have is 120i (60 frames per second, 2 fields per frame). Your PS3 won't play it, just like it doesn't play your 1080p60 videos.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok now i understand that 60i is pretty much 30i. just mkg. gimmicks. so how do remove half the field?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    how do remove half the field?
    I already gave you one option with AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where did you tell me how using avisynth? please highlight step by step. cant i just use handbrake to go to 720p with 59fps? thats just as good as 1080 30i right?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    cant i just use handbrake to go to 720p with 59fps? thats just as good as 1080 30i right?
    Just open your file, set the width to 1280, pick a preset, encode.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so the finished product would be 1280x720p 59fps which should look as good as 1080i 30fps?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    so the finished product would be 1280x720p 59fps
    Yes.

which should look as good as 1080i 30fps?
    That depends on a lot of factors: how sharp the original video is, how well the TV or player deinterlaces, the native resolution of the TV, etc.
    Quote Quote