VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am working on an AVi video that is currently 4:3 format, I desire the end result to be 16:9. Here is what I am looking to accomplish. NOTE: Pardon my lack of knowledge in using the correct terminology

I need a program or method in which I can crop from top of frames in one area and from middle or bottom in other areas. Basically I would like to move the video frame by frame (at some points) until I see the scene change and then shift the crop area to the top/middle/bottom whereas to reduce the amount of head or bottom loss in the viewable finished product.

Some scene in video have a lot of unnecessary head space and in other areas the head/top space is to close andtopwould crop more from bottom.

Basically looking to set a viewable box/template and have it be mobile through the video editing process to make use of cropping larger head/top space in some scenes and larger floor/bottom space in other areas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's easy enough to do. But there are some considerations.

It seems you want to "re-jigger" some SD video into HD video, right? In that case, it's going to get somewhat fuzzy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sony Vegas can do this quite easily
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, I used to have that and no longer have it installer, but I thought some program could, just didn't remember
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budwzr. that is basically correct, I have worked on the colors and sharpness etc. to improve quality quite a bit, but yes . . . I have already tested a cropped version and it is so so, but ok for my needs.

What your statement did is raise another question though. When a DVD/BR Players upscales a video, that is done through hardware, is there anything created in a software that can emulate such a process with success.

This is strictly just a curiosity I have
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Set the project to the resolution you need and render it out. THEN, do the cropping, sharpening, color, etc., and final render.

Its called upsampling. The hardware player does this on the fly.
    Last edited by budwzr; 24th Nov 2012 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyclem View Post
    Hi, I am working on an AVi video that is currently 4:3 format, I desire the end result to be 16:9. Here is what I am looking to accomplish. NOTE: Pardon my lack of knowledge in using the correct terminology

I need a program or method in which I can crop from top of frames in one area and from middle or bottom in other areas. Basically I would like to move the video frame by frame (at some points) until I see the scene change and then shift the crop area to the top/middle/bottom whereas to reduce the amount of head or bottom loss in the viewable finished product.

Some scene in video have a lot of unnecessary head space and in other areas the head/top space is to close andtopwould crop more from bottom.

Basically looking to set a viewable box/template and have it be mobile through the video editing process to make use of cropping larger head/top space in some scenes and larger floor/bottom space in other areas
    I do this sometimes on video whose bad framing changes from scene to scene with the motion effects on Premiere Pro, manually setting keyframes to let the 16:9 window go precisely where I want it vis-a-vis the 4:3 clip. Although for the most part I get what I want, I have to contend with zooming the video up 133% first, where Premiere now introduces its jaggies merrily.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Set the project to the resolution you need and render it out.
    You can't do that if you are going to crop it, (as you'll end up with lower resolution) unless you are going to crop by the same amount in every frame, which may be possible, so you would have to allow for that when scaling.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cropping same amount in all frames, just different areas where top and bottom have have better areas to crop without loss. In my image programs I have this feature that allows me to set the visible opening I desire and move and crop as needed. I am applying that same idea on the video by keeping the desired crop template/area.rectangle consistent, but moving up or down for optimal finished project and viewing area. Obviously I have no left/right movement in cropping based on the fact that I want to limit the quality loss as must as possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas supports up to 4K resolution, so you can upsample according to your needs. So you could actually slide a 1280X720 crop window sideways too if you go to 2K horizontal pixels. I can give you the exact method, but I think you get it already.

Basically, if you want to end up with 720p, and you're only concerned with up and down framing, then do the first render to 1280 horizontal pixels uncompressed first.

Then keyframe the "framing box" motion. The reason I'm calling it a framing box is because that's what they do in Hollywood. You're concerned with the AR at this point, not so much cropping, in the conventional sense. Or call it a matte box, whatever.
    Last edited by budwzr; 25th Nov 2012 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    NOTE: Pardon my lack of knowledge in using the correct terminology
    Sorry, not much help with procedures, but if you are looking for a term for what you want to do, maybe, 'Pan and Scan'. That's what they do to convert movies in wide screen format like Panavision to fit on a 4:3 aspect ratio TV screen. This link may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan

Since you will be resizing and re-encoding, expect a fair amount of quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love learning newer things and terms and I have found my small thread very educational and fun . . . Thanks guys
    Quote Quote