VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    windows 7 home 64bit
    is there anything that will capture 'amazon' video streams ?

i'm way behind on this,

i would like to capture some amazon prime instant video streams
    while playing

i may have to resort to a VGA breakout box and connect video & sound to and external dvr recorder

which i would have to purchase,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pretty sure they're DRM encrypted, certainly Netflix are. I have heard there some tools that will remove it but I doubt I'm allowed to talk about that here and I certainly havn't tried them...

some kind of breakout box will work I have a HD-PVR myself but the results are often disappointing.

edit: hmm, just checked them out, despite what they claim dont really remove DRM they just use screen recording techniques. Not surprising really. For the price you pay for such software you might as well pick up a 2nd hand external recorder at least you can use it for other things as well.
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 20th Nov 2012 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Amazon uses DRM for sure. In these cases you typically need to use a streaming media recorder. Usually you have to buy something like Replay Video Capture as the free tools usually don't work.

Talking about actually breaking the DRM on Amazon streaming probably violates our rules, but I don't know of anybody who knows how to do that. Netflix uses Sliverlight (as far as I know it has never been cracked). I have a vague memory that Amazon may use WMV which may mean that they also use Silverlight, but a quick search didn't turn up any useful info on what Amazon is using.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Point your digital camera @ your screen & record.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are some things from BBC i would like to keep hard copy of
    and Not stream over the net every time i want to re-watch them

camera's are out lousy quality
    i may go external recorder, but would most likely have to reduce the resolution to 4:3 SD
    i can leaglly DL purchased instant digital items, but these are locked to the PC they are dl onto, preventing use while traveling in my RV unless i bring the pc
    oh well ...
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Streams sent direct from the BBC aren't encrypted...
    Last edited by Chug a Bug; 21st Nov 2012 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    camera's are out lousy quality
    handyguy was making a bad joke when he suggested this because he's not sympathetic to your problem.

I don't know what you mean by "external recorder" but you can either read the first paragraph of my post which contains pertinent information or you can continue to flail around helplessly. Your choice here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the BBC videos i want are on Amazon
    here in the states i can't directly access BBC tele online streams 'blocked'
    my Sony media player is registered with my amazon acct and so is my PC
    but my media player does NOT contain a HHD of its own, so taking it in the RV is useless
    i would prefer to stream something ONE TIME in the wee hrs when there is less ISP traffic and my connection is solid and then watch it during Normal day or evening hrs with out buffering and interruptions

external recorder
    stand alone dvd/dvR digital recorder, connected to output from pc
    unfortunately the only one i'm aware of use A/V or component signals or DVT
    not hdmi, so vga break out to a/v will reduce the resolution
    any professional equipment that might use HDMI / hd recording is out of my price range
    screen capture / stream recording is what i'm interested in
    I don't need to break encryption, my PC is registered it should play an encrypted 'captured' stream just as well as when it is streaming

we don't seem to be on the same 'wave length'
    i guess your saying a stream can't be captured at all unless it's decrypted
    Last edited by theewizard; 21st Nov 2012 at 22:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want a portable player to watch downloads of videos that you purchased from Amazon (as opposed to rented) you can use a Kindle Fire or a Windows laptop to download. Yes, I know this is not the answer that you are looking for, but those are the portable options that Amazon's Instant Video service permits for watching video when Internet access isn't available.

[Edit]I assumed you had Googled this topic, but maybe not. Someone claimed to have successfully used GetFLV, which is payware with a free trial, for Amazon Instant Video last year. Does it still work? I have no idea. In your shoes, I'd probably save my money for a Kindle Fire HD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Nov 2012 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    here in the states i can't directly access BBC tele online streams 'blocked'
    Did it not occur to you that might be ways around that?

But obviously you know better, about everything, so I'm done here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not everything occurs to everybody,
    so No i did not think of away to access BBC
    or IF the program TV series from 2007, 2008, 2009 are even in archives that might be available
    but you would rather put somebody down, than actually offer up the suggestion & means to accomplish it..
    i guess you are Done ... helping more than just me

i will look into 'replay video capture'

less expensive than buying a new dvr device
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just a follow up

i purchased 'replay video capture'

and it does what i want, thanks for the suggestion

quality of the video window capture has been very good, this will be fine for my needs
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    just a follow up

i purchased 'replay video capture'

and it does what i want, thanks for the suggestion

quality of the video window capture has been very good, this will be fine for my needs
    You're welcome. I suggested it because "it just works" and it's easy to start using it. Glad it helped you.
    Quote Quote