VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may seem a simple enough question, but it's got me stumped...

I've got a bunch of word documents I've put together showing song lyrics interspersed with the chord changes required as you play the song on guitar. What I'd like to do is create a DVD with a menu to choose the song I'd like to play along with - this would then load the MP3 and play it, with the word document (or screen-grabbed version, anyway) displayed on the TV/monitor for the duration of the song.

I've tried the simple Windows MovieMaker and whilst I can import the screengrab in and then overlay the MP3 and export the resultant file, the quality of the image is, frankly, dreadful, even when set to the program's 'best' settings.

Seemingly, it needs to be done this way - i.e. creating a movie with the song as the backing sound and a screen grab as the actual video footage, even though it's a static screen, unless anyone knows better...?

If anyone can help with suggestions on the best way to do this (and preferably OpenSource to save a bit of money!) I'd be grateful...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A screen-grab of a .doc file is NEVER going to look good. (I don't know what gave you the idea it would.) Since you are already familiar with Windows Movie Maker, just use its title tool. To expedite the process, just highlight and copy a line or two of text from the .doc file, and paste it into the title window. Time each text graphic to the appropriate point on the song.

Just remember this: if you are trying to make a video, use video tools -- not word processing tools, for goodness sakes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know you're right, of course - I was just experimenting with quick and dirty fixes and trying to find a lazy way around things.

No matter, I'll just keep on with Windows Movie Maker.

Thanks for the tips though
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD slideshowGUI might be worth a look, if you want to try something else. One thing to remember is that DVDs are limited to 729x576 resolution, maximum, if you are making discs which are playable with a regular set-top DVD player. Small fonts, fancy fonts, and fine lines often suffer when reduced to DVD resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, what you want to do is:

1. Create an OUTLINE in MS Word (using mainly top-level style)
    2. Export to .RTF
    3. Import into PowerPoint. Each toplevel outline should create its OWN slide.
    4. Export slideshow as series of pictures (PNG is probably best) - see my past posts on tricks for how to get the best quality on PPT exports.
    5. Batch convert/process to 720x576 stills (not 729 @usually_quiet, I think that was a typo) - see my past posts on tricks to improve legibility for SD.
    6. Import into DVDSlideshow GUI or similar, and you are done!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    5. Batch convert/process to 720x576 stills (not 729 @usually_quiet, I think that was a typo)
    Thanks. Yes, it was a typo. My typing and proofreading could both be better.
    Quote Quote