VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I believe this is the correct forum to post this in, if not feel free to correct me, I'm new here.

So here is my problem. I have a series (Yu Yu Hakusho) that is in .mkv format and has soft subs in the file. I need to convert it to either .avi, .wmv, or .mp4 prefered. But when I use AVC to convert to one of them it auto encodes the subtitles on the video as hard subs (I believe).

Now here is where it gets really tricky. I've used MKVmerge GUI to remove them into copy files. I check them afterwords and they are fine. But when I use AVC to convert the new files it for some reason shortens it. Usually to about 7 minutes. Had a few times there it would do a minute or two, and the longest I got was 13 minutes. Each of the episodes are 24 minutes.

So can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe even a new or more efficient way of doing this? I've looked everywhere and this community seems to be the most comprehensive on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds to me as if what you need is MKVtoMP4. It'l only change the container from MKV to MP4 (and re-encode the audio if needed - MP4 can't hold the same audio formats as MKV)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does it have the option to remove the subtitles? cuz thats the part I really need. AVC will let me convert the whole (original) MKV to MP4 without any audio/video defects. It's just the subtitles automatically encode cuz the current version of AVC doesn't support disabling subtitles. They said they may in a future version. If MKVtoMP4 will allow me a clean conversion after the removal of the soft subs in MKVmerge that would work as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I just checked it out. It did have the functionality to not include the subtitles and it was a very fast conversion. Thank you so much videobruger. You are now my new best friend!
    Quote Quote  
  5. And you are very wellcome
    Quote Quote