VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I want to buy a dvd player which will play all those formats : MP4/ AVI/ DVIX old and new files/ XVID/ HD. I saw that dvd player (Samsung BD-C5500 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player) seems to play them all, but I'm not quite sure if its really good quality and if it really plays all those formats.... can anyone tell me if it really works, if it can play all those formats correctly and if its a good quality dvd player plz!

Thank you!
    Last edited by dakmeme; 16th Nov 2012 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-C5500-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/product-reviews/B000B60H0G...owViewpoints=0

I think the best thing to do is .buy a player for Dvix,AVI,,,, like a WD Live TV and a separate player for your DVD/BD movies
    Last edited by MJA; 16th Nov 2012 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Take MJA's advice: likely you'll need more than one player to cover all those formats.
    2) Not such a good player anyway.
    3) Many complaints about defective units.
    4) Never buy Samsung.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 24th Mar 2014 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    1) Take MJA's advice: likely you'll need more than one player to cover all those formats.
    Nah!!

My LG Bluray player plays all the formats he listed, and from an external USB hdd.

Originally Posted by dakmeme View Post
    MP4/ AVI/ DVIX old and new files/ XVID/ HD.
    Plus mine plays MKV's.
    Maybe some other formats but I don't recall as those are all the ones I use, and I mostly use MKV's & MP4's other than DVD & Bluray.
    Mine will even play .m2ts files from a BDMV/STREAM folder on a external usb hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Noahtuck, what is your model no.?
    Last edited by Steve(MS); 17th Nov 2012 at 00:46. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also go down the LG BD Player route. Don´t know the US Models, I own a BD 660 (PAL) for BD and DLNA.
    If you make the files yourself as I do (mostly records from satellite) and you follow the standards, the chance is very high, that they work flawlessly. If your files are from different sources made with different programs, made by experts and noobs you will never find a player, regardless inside a BD or as an external device, that plays them all without problems. For this, your expectations are to high.
    The big difference between BD Player and some external like the WD Player is, that nearly every sold BD Player is now cinavia "infected" because it is now BD Standard. This does not apply to devices without BD playability (they don´t need to follow the Blueray Certification requirements).
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I have their model 6500, which might have formerly been their top of the line, prior to their 3D models. At time of purchase, they had some advantage re built-in WiFi and ease of use. But this is basically only good for playing the mainstream, Hollywood-approved BR discs, and a more limited selection of DVDs. On the plus side, I thought the PQ was pretty good, and the unit was generally reliable. Having said that, the downside: it's arthritic-dog slow for certain operations (however, I don't know to what extent this may be typical of Blu-Ray ?), it supports that wretched Cinavia (like most of the players on the market, and forced on you by automated firmware updates), it's annoyingly dumbed down features-wise (vs. any good DVD player), and I got really, really tired of it rejecting many discs. (For example, I get a lot of PAL format DVD material that it won't play, which I have to take upstairs to a region-free, multi-format DVD player.) So, I finally bit the bullet and got an Oppo Blu-Ray player that will be replacing this Samsung in the Family Room very shortly. This should resolve most if not all of the aforementioned issues.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote