VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi forum members. Especially the helpful savvy ones.
    Thanks for a neat site to the site managers.

Can I say first that I am not really really tech savvy with region-free kit.
    I moved to Japan from the UK and will be here a few years. DVD/Blu-Ray Region 1.

Last week I bought a SONY BDP-S790 on the local web but could not read the DETAILS in Japanese KANJI. I just knew the BDP-S790 was a great player.

After buying it (next day delivery) I notice its SETTING OPTIONS are;- English French, Spanish & Portuguesses languages only. WHY NO JAPANESE SOFTWARE OPTION? SOLD IN JAPAN? Not important perhaps... but I need to change the Region code to play multi-region for the DVD`s at least. I will buy a remote code changer item if it is the best way.

The player is great with Japanese Blu-Rays and DVD`s; HOWEVER, it will not play any of my LARGE collection of UK movies on DVD (PAL) and Blu-Ray`s.

So; as you will have guessed.....

Is there anyone here who can point me in the direction of a way to change a European language only Japanese Regions 1 Sony BDP-S790 player to allow me to play European-English DVD`s and/or European Blu-Ray discs?

Note; only AFTER spending my money did I see a site to buy a double price Sony BDP-S790 which is multi-region already.

P.S.
    I did think of buying a UK version of the player from the UK and having it posted out to Japan BUT...but...

BUT WOULD IT ALLOW AN NTSC OUTPUT from the player (as the UK is PAL on the DVD discs)?

As here in Japan ALL THE TVs ARE NTSC ONLY.

All the TV`s in the UK are PAL AND NTSC and you can play any DVD on most players.

But here in Japan ALL the TV`s accessible in any and all shops are ONLY NTSC so the player needs to allow the conversion thingy.

Have I bought a dud for my 1,000+ DVD movie collection and a hundred or two Blu-Ray UK collection?

Or is there a fix?

PLEASE keep it simple although I know I am in a complicated place, electronically speaking.

Here`s hoping.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by rogerthat1945 View Post
    Have I bought a dud for my 1,000+ DVD movie collection and a hundred or two Blu-Ray UK collection?
    Yes.

3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes.
    Erm... Thanks.

Well, I think Sony are buggers for not selling a PAL to NTSC converter that is region free.

Maybe china will make one and Sony will lose customers.

They been practicing.

Search PM
    There are only a handful (seriously....about 10 total) of Blu Ray players that are hackable. 98% of those hackable Blu Ray players are only hackable for DVD playback(the Blu Ray portion REMAINS REGION/ZONE LOCKED). And 100% of those hackable Blu Ray players are NOT SONY.

5. Thanks for responding...with a little more detail.
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    There are only a handful (seriously....about 10 total) of Blu Ray players that are hackable. 98% of those hackable Blu Ray players are only hackable for DVD playback(the Blu Ray portion REMAINS REGION/ZONE LOCKED). And 100% of those hackable Blu Ray players are NOT SONY.
    OK

So I need to buy a Multi-Region SONY BDP-S790.
    I seen a few advertised now.
    But don`t know who will post to Japan yet (I did think of having a 3D TV posted here from the UK [PAL & NTSC[ but it would take 3-months by ship and involves a LOT of irritating organizing [so I need a PAL to NTSC MULTI-REGION 4k BPD-S790]).

My next question is; will it play PAL DVD`s and UK Blu-Ray discs and output PAL to a Japanese NTSC HDTV or do I still need a convertor?

I just don`t know if I also have to buy a PAL to NTSC Converter and stick that en route to my Onyko 7.1

If I do I want to buy a GOOD Quality one with the newest HDMI standard for 3D. Does anyone even make them yet?

Also;-
    Small point...
    Would a PAL to NTSC converter also work for 4K when it is more popular?

Any help is appreciated, even if you get a cut from the Multi-region sites.

6. Anyway; getting a simple thing like a Disney DVD to work shouldn`t have to be so much of an irritating unnecessary mess around.

Maybe the chinese will start up their own hardware companies which are not going to trip people up all around the globe who live and/or work abroad.

Either that of torrents is the only way to go. Then the movie companies lose money also.

Does anyone know why Japan refuses to put a PAL facility in its own TV`s and yet puts the ten cent chip in every single TV they have ever sold over the decades in the UK/Europe at least.

Still looking for the best option; besides torrents (which I think will only take around 15 minutes per movie here on hi-speed cable)?

EDIT
    More checking around at possibilities.
    I guess I will need one of these (PAL to NTSC converters [I don`t know if it will work with 3D and 4K]) after buying a UK BDP-S790 and shipping it to Japan. Then I can play local Movies AND European ones. So nothing lost with using a little TENACITY.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATLONA-PAL-HDMI-TO-NTSC-HDMI-CONVERTER-SCALER-AT-HD560-/1906...item2c6610e303

What say you?
    Last edited by rogerthat1945; 16th Nov 2012 at 03:45. Reason: Converter suitable?

Search PM
    I did some Googling on the Multi-Region SONY BDP-S790.....most of the sites say Region Free For DVD Only.....as suspected. Watch out for that.

Oh....and it if doesn't have the capability to internally convert PAL to NTSC(and vice versa) "on the fly"....then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

8. Most Blu-rays that are region B are also A.
    http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't HDMI make NTSC/PAL a moot point?

If most of your Blu-rays are region free you may want to just buy a cheap DVD player.

9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I did some Googling on the Multi-Region SONY BDP-S790.....most of the sites say Region Free For DVD Only.....as suspected. Watch out for that.

Oh....and it if doesn't have the capability to internally convert PAL to NTSC(and vice versa) "on the fly"....then don't buy it. It's as simple as that.
    So, I guess the question I should have asked in the beginning is... "Where do I find a SONY BDP-S790 Multi-Region for DVD & BluRay that internally converts PAL to NTSC on the fly; that will post to Japan?

Simple really just to play a blu ray or PAL DVD from the UK.

I am surprised nobody has ever asked this simple question before. There are millions of ex-pats living and working abroad.

10. Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    Most Blu-rays that are region B are also A.
    http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't HDMI make NTSC/PAL a moot point?

If most of your Blu-rays are region free you may want to just buy a cheap DVD player.
    NO

HDMI does Not make PAL NTSC a moot point.

The HDMI only sends the signal. Whatever that signal is.

When it gets to the TV, the TV (kind of) asks if it is an NTSC (or PAL) signal; but if the signal is coming unconverted as PAL (European Disc) on an `NTSC-only` TV, then the TV sends a signal to the BD-DVD player and it tells you it cannot play, and tells you to remove the disc (and so does the Tv [usually]).

The problem being, as I mentioned earlier, ALL Japanese TV`s in Japan are ALL ALL ALL NTSC and will NEVER play a PAL Signal from ANY DVD or Blu-Ray player no matter how good it is. that is how it seems to be panning out. I can`t buy a PAL+NTSC TV here and it takes 3-months to have one SHIPPED. Too big to send by plane.

So, I need a GOOD PAL to NTSC CONVERTER; but do not know any good ones, and don`t like gambling online without some more knowledge about what is the right option...

Last edited by rogerthat1945; 16th Nov 2012 at 22:58. Reason: spellin currekshunz

Search PM
    So, I guess the question I should have asked in the beginning is... "Where do I find a SONY BDP-S790 Multi-Region for DVD & BluRay that internally converts PAL to NTSC on the fly; that will post to Japan?
    You don't.
    What part of this:
    are you having trouble understanding?

12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You don't.
    What part of this:
    are you having trouble understanding?
    Are you having trouble understanding that I am not asking for a hack?

Clearly I as a novice have found out more than you, it would appear, and therefore you should refrain from posting in this thread with your attitude and limits of understanding.

I recently discovered Companies ALREADY SHIP A FULL MULTI-REGION Sony BDP-S790 Player for Blu-Ray and DVD (but no PAL to NTSC converter inside). Multi-Region DVD AND Blu-Ray 2D and 3D.
    e.g.
    (one of a number of outlets)
    1. http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/38280282/701337482/SONY-FLAGSHIP-3D-BDP...rlrefer=search

However; up to now I find that I would ALSO have to get a PAL to NTSC Converter.
    e.g.
    PAL to NTSC Converter. Here is a typical example I have found. It looks like is is an unknown brand; and has HDMI Input and Output, and an old school S.C.A.R.T connection also.
    3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pal-Hdmi-to-NTSC-Hdmi-converter-Watch-SKY-and-Virgin-on-your...item2ec29e7004

But WHAT I AM AFTER IS IT ALL IN ONE BOX

Which will work with 4K, for when I see a Toshiba 55-inch Glasses-free 3D Ultra-high-Def TV on the shelf. Which is next week in the area in which I live.

It will still only be NTSC though.

So; back to my question (refer to post-reply number 5), to the patient and experienced hi-fi experts

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANYONE SELLS A SONY BDP-S790 Multi-Region Player WHICH HAS an INTERNAL PAL to NTSC Converter.

Simple question really.
    Last edited by rogerthat1945; 17th Nov 2012 at 03:10. Reason: Spellin

Search PM
    Yes....you have asked for a "hack".
    Is there anyone here who can point me in the direction of a way to change a European language only Japanese Regions 1 Sony BDP-S790 player to allow me to play European-English DVD`s and/or European Blu-Ray discs?
    The only reason nobody else has chimed in here is because I am 1000% correct and this question gets asked here at least 10x per week.
    As you can see on every one of my posts....I'm an American(NTSC) now living in Europe(PAL) and have dealt extensively with the Video Format - Region Code issues since at least 2001. What you are asking for is virtually non-existent nowadays. EVERYBODY knows that here and are simply tired of typing the same response (my exact responses) 10x per week.
    Back in the "before Blu Ray" days....finding a player that ignored region codes AND converted on the fly was pretty damn easy....today with Blu Ray it is MUCH more difficult.
    Learn this and move on.
    And I(and most other people here) certainly would NOT believe the claim put forward by PLAY.COM that that Sony Blu Ray player is actually region and zone free. Nobody here would believe that claim and buy it.....NOBODY.

14. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes....you have asked for a "hack".
    The only reason nobody else has chimed in here is because I am 1000% correct and this question gets asked here at least 10x per week.
    As you can see on every one of my posts....I'm an American(NTSC) now living in Europe(PAL) and have dealt extensively with the Video Format - Region Code issues since at least 2001. What you are asking for is virtually non-existent nowadays. EVERYBODY knows that here and are simply tired of typing the same response (my exact responses) 10x per week.
    Back in the "before Blu Ray" days....finding a player that ignored region codes AND converted on the fly was pretty damn easy....today with Blu Ray it is MUCH more difficult.
    Learn this and move on.
    And I(and most other people here) certainly would NOT believe the claim put forward by PLAY.COM that that Sony Blu Ray player is actually region and zone free. Nobody here would believe that claim and buy it.....NOBODY.
    You are wrong about all your points.

I am not asking for a hack now.
    See my quote from the same post/reply;-
    "So; back to my question (refer to post-reply number 5), to the patient and experienced hi-fi experts"

Which refers to THIS Earlier comment;-

OK, So I need to buy a Multi-Region SONY BDP-S790.

I seen a few advertised now."

You have not done any homework.

THERE ARE DOZENS OF COMPANIES SELLING THE SONY BDP-S790 with FULL Multi-Region for Blu-Ray and DVD.

Play.Com is one of the most successful and popular sites in the UK IF NOT THE MOST POPULAR in Europe. It is owned and run by Rakuten (a Japanese Off-Shoot of SONY itself [Play.Com = located in Tax-Free Ireland]).

You may be able to hoodwink a teenager. But here is another example of a site that sells the Non-PAL-to-NTSC version of this player.

And there are others all over the world on e-bay and Amazon. Are you convinced you know what you are claiming about what other people on this site also think they know?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLAGSHIP-BDP-S790-CODEFREE-012345678-100~240V/dp/B008KL6NA2/re...3150193&sr=8-2

QUOTE;-
    SONY BDP-S790 CODEFREE Watch 2D & 3D Blu ray Disc and connect wireless with the built-in Wi-Fi FULLY UNLOCKED DVD & BD BLU RAY A/B/C Multi Zone Region Code Free Blu Ray Player DVD Region 123456 PAL/NTSC

Pull your head out of the cornflakes plz, and please refrain from embarrassing yourself any further hech54.
    Last edited by rogerthat1945; 17th Nov 2012 at 06:22. Reason: Have to lead some people by the hand...

Search PM
    Oh geez....you got me. I'll just go back to setting up my Hauppauge capture device (the USB one, not the capture card) to capture PAL60 (that's what comes out of a PAL VCR when an NTSC VHS tape is played through it - but of course you knew that already) for an NTSC tape I have arriving here soon.

Keep banging your head against the wall....and have fun storming the castle.

16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Oh geez....you got me. I'll just go back to setting up my Hauppauge capture device (the USB one, not the capture card) to capture PAL60 (that's what comes out of a PAL VCR when an NTSC VHS tape is played through it - but of course you knew that already) for an NTSC tape I have arriving here soon.

Keep banging your head against the wall....and have fun storming the castle.
    Typical American of hech54 descent. Dodges all the important points, but completely avoids the thread of the topic.

P.S.
    I also got a hauppauge; but I admitted on the first post/comment that I am an amateur.

You

Like I already asked a few times (or indicated), don`t respond again if you can take a hint.

Search PM
    Like I already asked a few times (or indicated), don`t respond again if you can take a hint.
    Oh no. I'll keep posting if only to track your progress. I'm betting you will wait a few days, then come back and say "all is well, everything is fine, you found the perfect solution, I(hech54) was completely wrong.....with ZERO explanation as to what you did or bought.....cause you'll be lying at the time.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No simple workaround. You need other equipment. A Region 2 / B Player that OUTPUTS NTSC, or a PAL/NTSC Combo TV and a Region 2 DVD / Region B BD Player. The Combo TV and the Player may need a step up transformer (100V AC to destination Power Voltage) and external receivers (internal tuner may not work in Japan). The Player must support english audio and sub settings.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed. Life's too short to keep going around in these circles with folks who would rather argue than listen.

20. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Indeed. Life's too short to keep going around in these circles with folks who would rather argue than listen.
    Again, (probalby) an American who gives no useful information and just clogs up the thread.

You would have been better keeping quiet if you are not going to be helpful.

21. Originally Posted by 4your:only View Post
    No simple workaround. You need other equipment. A Region 2 / B Player that OUTPUTS NTSC, or a PAL/NTSC Combo TV and a Region 2 DVD / Region B BD Player. The Combo TV and the Player may need a step up transformer (100V AC to destination Power Voltage) and external receivers (internal tuner may not work in Japan). The Player must support english audio and sub settings.
    At last a helpful answer.

The TV part I already answered; with the fact that Airlines Post Offices will not ship a big (PAL/NTSC) TV and they can only be sent by SHIP due to size.

I am willing to have kit (SONY BDP-S790) posted out from UK or Europe or Ausrtralia or New Zealand or wherever. BUT, I had tried to ask here about the technical issues and possible outlets. I only found people wanting to speak without knowing, preferring to ruin the actual topic for personal importance issues or something.

The UK is 240V AND Japan is 110V) The S790 is Both voltages, I know that with digging around for details.

As for the Internal tuner; you are right they do not work in Japan. You can buy a TV tuner here for your PS3 here and jus tplug that into the USB and HDMI.

The S790 player also allows you to send video from your PC to the unit wirelessly. It works well. You can get Youtube, but little else as almost ALL the programs installed in the S790 unit will not work in Japan. I don`t know why. Its like the edge of the world sometimes. You can watch many of the Japanese programs in English here at the press of a button; which is cool. You can watch the news about Americans raping schoolgirls in Okinawa and such.

The TV I am looking at is a 3D Glasses-free Toshiba 55-inch. BUT I need a player which will play my reasonably extensive DVD and Blu-Ray collection. Converting to 3D on the fly. Also changing PAL to NTSC.

I will buy the convertor I guess and see how far that takes me.

I guess there have been a lot of people misled over the years when asking for advice. Thanks for the effort DVD3500.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by 4your:only View Post
    And you're too stupid to know that 4yournly was cracking on you and disagreeing with your single-minded choice of the wrong player.
    It's like watching a car wreck.

23. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by 4your:only View Post
    And you're too stupid to know that 4yournly was cracking on you and disagreeing with your single-minded choice of the wrong player.
    It's like watching a car wreck.
    Do you not know partial sarcasm when you read it? Or do you give up at the first line of a response?

I already noticed you also dodge parts of the comments before responding in a half-informed manner like he did.

Seriously hech; are you one of the hopeless people that hangs round sites like this keeping the public out of the shop?

Maybe you should go and buy a rope and get off this thread of mine.

Even half-educated children learn to be polite when they disagree; rather than becoming another American irritation prior to its demise. It`s interesting for me to note there are Arab types in Europe who follow annoying Americans around ready for the day of revenge.

My condolences to the site owner/s.

hech54 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    Last edited by rogerthat1945; 18th Nov 2012 at 01:04.

24. P.S.

Can somebody tell GOOFY he is a failure.

I can get all my DVD`s working via the S790 player by using my (3D) laptop and PAL to NTSC conversion software in Windows Media Player.

It isn`t ideal; but will do for now.

Still looking for that S790 with internal PAL to NTSC conversion....inside.

Or this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlona-Technologies-AT-HD560-Atlona-Pal-HDMI-to-NTSC-HDMI-Co...item20cc04f571

Or this...

http://www.220-electronics.com/catalog/product_compare/index/#

Or this...

Search PM
    P.S.

I can get all my DVD`s working via the S790 player by using my (3D) laptop and PAL to NTSC conversion software in Windows Media Player.
    Oh yes.....the Rube Goldberg approach used as a check in your "WIN" column.
    We've seen that before too. The only problem is computer drives don't care about PAL/NTSC...just region codes....and that is easily defeated by free software:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab-Passkey

Keep going man....you're doing well.

26. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    P.S.

Oh yes.....the Rube Goldberg approach used as a check in your "WIN" column.
    We've seen that before too. The only problem is computer drives don't care about PAL/NTSC...just region codes....and that is easily defeated by free software:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab-Passkey

Keep going man....you're doing well.
    You are too ignorant and stoopid to be real.

Who do I trust for knowledge?

You (who I have seen talking crap) or Sourceforge; a respected information website.

DUNDERHEAD.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/paldvd2ntscdvd/

Quote (for humans of greater value than chimpanzees) ;-
    Software to Convert your Entire PAL DVD to NTSC DVD which handles movie, titles and Subtitles, Navigation buttons, Menus and Submenus, Extras, and audio. Building scripts that will be imported into CCE and Scenarist then execute the programs automatically
    Or eHow

http://www.ehow.com/how_6747458_encode-pal-ntsc.html

You can lead a horse to water, but you can`t make it drink. Waterboard that American turd.

Search PM
    [
    DUNDERHEAD.

Software to Convert your Entire PAL DVD to NTSC DVD which handles movie, titles and Subtitles, Navigation buttons, Menus and Submenus, Extras, and audio. Building scripts that will be imported into CCE and Scenarist then execute the programs automatically
    Or eHow

You can lead a horse to water, but you can`t make it drink. Waterboard that American turd.
    So you are going to SAY you used this software to solve all of your problems.....but you are really NOT....then come back and say "all is well, everything is fine, you found the perfect solution, I(hech54) was completely wrong.
    Where have I heard that before?

Good luck dude. I guess you have officially given up on your SONY BDP-S790. You remember the SONY BDP-S790? That reasonably priced "wonder machine" you were dead-set on using and proving everyone wrong with?

28. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    [
    DUNDERHEAD.

Or eHow

So you are going to SAY you used this software to solve all of your problems.....but you are really NOT....then come back and say "all is well, everything is fine, you found the perfect solution, I(hech54) was completely wrong.
    Where have I heard that before?

Good luck dude. I guess you have officially given up on your SONY BDP-S790. You remember the SONY BDP-S790? That reasonably priced "wonder machine" you were dead-set on using and proving everyone wrong with?

Really, I don`t know what makes you so stoopid.

Here is another option to get PAL to NTSC

http://www.220-electronics.com/checkout/cart/

Never mind, you will die eventually, to refrain from being just an annoying troll, and people will cheer.

29. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the PAL to NTSC converter then.

Problem solved. Thread closed.