VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi - i'm making some SRT subtitles in subtitle workshop and i'd like to be able to split a two-line subtitle with one line in italics and the other not (telephone conversations etc). But if i use <i> (with or without </i>) anywhere in the subtitle, both the lines are italicised. Is there a way round this? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you'll have to later edit the SRT file in a plain-text editor

(Notepad, TextPad, NoteTab, EditPlus, whatever).
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 19th Jan 2015 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As El Heggunte said above, yes. For example:

00:03:26,563 --> 00:03:29,657
    <i> This text is in italics. </i>
    This text is not in italics

... would display the first line in italics, and the second line in normal text. At least, most media players should and would display it that way.
    Last edited by rickydavao; 14th Nov 2012 at 20:49. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks a lot for the replies. I checked it in vlc and it works OK. I guess it means doing the text edits when everything else is spot on, as running the subs through workshop edit again appears to screw the edits up. A bit of an annoying bug in the app it seems - i shall have to ask for my money back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of Subtitle Workshop, why don't you give Subtitle Edit a try? It's free and it's all I use for text-based subtitles. Works a treat for fixing up and checking subtitles after converting from bitmap subtitles (ie. converting from vobsub - sub/idx - subtitles to srt using subrip). And it definitely doesn't screw up the italics tags when I run an srt file through it ... in fact, it will even do its best to fix them Can't hurt to give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think i've used se and found it pretty good, but i'm more used to sw and i find the translator mode to be very useful. I'll bear it in mind anyway. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    few questions about italic in subtitle (srt files):
    what causes <i ... /i> to show italic sometimes only?
    does it depend on the font?
    does the font has to be UTF8 or ANSI or ASCII
    does the player has anything to do with it (I'm using KMplayer on win7 x64)
    many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Whether italics are shown or not in SRT subtitles depends on the player. My experience is that hardware players (ie. DVD/BD players, TV players, standalone media players) usually don't support italics or any other formatting commands in SRT subtitles.

It doesn't depend on the font.

Some hardware players may not support UTF8 unless the language happens to use the Latin Alphabet.
    Quote Quote  
  9. usually don't support italics or any other formatting commands in SRT subtitles.
    Probably because the SRT standard doesn't contains any styling and the html styling method was a later unofficial addition.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    usually don't support italics or any other formatting commands in SRT subtitles.
    Probably because the SRT standard doesn't contains any styling and the html styling method was a later unofficial addition.
    Subtitles are pretty good and flexible.

Now Closed Caption is a completely different story: completely inflexible, annoying and obviously designed by SOEs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony blu-ray player supports italic srt subs but they show the tags if there's words after the italic codes.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote