VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've upgraded to Win 7 and re-loaded my Ulead 10 SE, but now I am unable to import video files into it.

I have clips made with my Nikon D7000 DSLR, which will import into Windows Movie Maker, but not into Ulead.

Is it possible that I need to get new drivers or upgrades before it will import?

Thanks
    Max
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please post the video details also. Use for example mediainfo and open the video, view->text and post.

If it's mp4 or mov it might work to use mp4camtoavi to "remux"(no reconversion) to an avi that might work fine to open.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaxSouthOz View Post
    I've upgraded to Win 7 and re-loaded my Ulead 10 SE, but now I am unable to import video files into it.

I have clips made with my Nikon D7000 DSLR, which will import into Windows Movie Maker, but not into Ulead.

Is it possible that I need to get new drivers or upgrades before it will import?

Thanks
    Max
    Get Corel (old Ulead) Video Studio X5. Its full compatible with Windows 7.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys. I was running 10 SE with XP Maybe I need to go to X5 for Win 7 by the sounds of it.

Cheers
    Max
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Older V9 here works fine under win7 64bit.

May be a decoder incorrectly configured.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. I've not had that suggestion anywhere else. How could I fix that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You were asked to post details of the clips you are trying to import.

For Ulead/Corel the best place to ask such questions is always the dedicated Corel forums. The guys there know these products inside out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You were asked to post details of the clips you are trying to import.

For Ulead/Corel the best place to ask such questions is always the dedicated Corel forums. The guys there know these products inside out.

I couldn't follow the instructions.

The clips are MOV files from a Nikon D7000 They work in Movie Maker now I've upgraded the drivers for my video card

I have had an answer back from Corel. According to them 10 SE won't work with Win 7.

I think I'll start looking for new software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is a very old program and as the SE indicates not the full version.

Even so, you got the program to run. You can quickly test if the program loads any videos by trying other formats as as mpg or avi.

MOV is a container and it is quite possible, as Baldrick stated that the program coughed due to the codec inside the MOV. For instance, I have VideoStudio 10 Plus and that does not like certain video types.

The instructions, especially about mediainfo, were quite straight forward.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I had no idea SE indicated a restricted version. That explains a lot. I bought it from a friend in good faith.

I have an OrgiSoft converter and I tried every format on it (on Ulead), without success.

I'm sure the instructions were straight forward. I'm just not very computer literate.

I guess the question now is, should I buy a later version of Ulead or try another brand?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead SE versions are usually given away with hardware such as capture devices.

Before you buy anything, you can download trial versions of the latest Corel (was Ulead) or The Sony Vegas programs. You can then see which suits you best.

I have never heard of OrgiSoft converter - there is a joke there but better not go there.

There are also free options - check out the tools section on this site. But if you are not very PC savvy you may be better of with commercial stuff.
    Last edited by DB83; 12th Nov 2012 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll have a look.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely a decoder issue ... HD test sample works no problem in 9SE version

Ulead video studio usually comes with quicktime and soundtrack as part of its install ... if those components have been over written by updated versions or codec packs installed they can lead to the proper decoder not being the default.

Ffdshow can also be problematic if installed, generally by default it works fine but there are times it needs to be disabled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The version of quicktime that come with Ulead is so old that it should be drawing a pension.

I have always ignored that part of the install in every Ulead product I have - and I have several.

But just because the files are MOV does not mean there is qt under the hood.

Even so, these products have always failed to load anything that is in a mp4 container.

We assume that these same videos loaded with the earlier OS but would also seek confirmation that nothing has changed in that respect either.

But surely if they play in other players (vlc excepted) then it can hardly be a decoder issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Corel Videostudio PRO X5 for my video editing. Then, one day I downloaded Vegas Movie Studio 11 Platinum and tried it out. The level of complexity between the two is enormous. Things that are easily done in Corel are more envolved in Vegas. Moving around with a storyboard editor, in Corel, is a simple matter. When you only have a timeline (Vegas,) it's a bitch to locate and move around efficiently with 50 to 60 clips or more. You must edit in small packets.
    Also, in rendering, I was in for a big surprise-few talk about this. The author of "101 Tips, Tricks and Techniques," Bill Myers substantiated what I found out through experience. A one hour video, with many effects, can take over five hours to render in Vegas. I hate to think how long my European Trip Video, of over two hours, would have taken-over night to be sure. Apparently, Vegas lovers are not bothered by this fact. So, rendering and fexibility of movement are Vegas shortfalls to me.
    Now that I mentioned the bad, here is the good. Vegas is extremely powerful in motion video, color correction, chroma key, and Pan/Zoom. It blows Corel away, to mention only these few things of which there are more. It takes a steep learning curve but, it is well worth the effort. "Nothing good of consequence is ever accomplished without exertion." So, I use Vegas for clip editing and effects and then put clips into Corel for quick rendering and flexibility. I take the best from both and with excellent result My videos produced by Corel are vivid, rich in color and clarity that I don't think waiting an extra four hours, or more, can noticeably improve upon.
    Get Vegas for PAN/ZOOM!
    I am currently beta testing VS Pro X6 and it has improved on motion video but, Vegas is still better.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yeah you need to install Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative to import MOV, I made a tutorial to unlock some features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRq9kmZXSDk
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I fell at the first fence. LOL My C drive doesn't have a folder called Program Data. I have some of the ones on your list, but not Program Data. Is there another way into the notepad, please?

Thanks
    Max
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaxSouthOz View Post
    Hi. I fell at the first fence. LOL My C drive doesn't have a folder called Program Data. I have some of the ones on your list, but not Program Data. Is there another way into the notepad, please?

Thanks
    Max
    Easy

Control+R, in RUN window type: C:\ProgramData and ENTER.

Its a hide folder.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  20. In Win 7 Notepad is located here: C:/Windows/system32/notepad.exe
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I told you I'm a computer numpty. I got there by unhiding the folder option.
    Now, when I get to 10.0 I'm not getting the notepad, so I'm going to have to go look for it.
    I'll try searching UVS.ini
    Back later
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. In Program Data > Ulead Systems > 10.0 there is a notepad in the tutorial, which contains UVS.INI

When I open 10.0, I get a list of configuration settings. It's nothing like the notepadded list of CV's in the tutorial - certainly none of the switches in the video.

Still looking.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Click the start button in your taskbar then type uvs.ini in the search window, it should be the first one listed.
    Did you install QuickTime?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Click the start button in your taskbar then type uvs.ini in the search window, it should be the first one listed.
    I'll ask again.

Why would installing QuickTime help in this scenario. The camera (as far as I see) does not film in qt.

And I'll ask another question again. It really is not difficult. Pls post a mediainfo report of these videos.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Did both of those. uvs.ini doesn't come up in the start search.

I found UVS.INI in the settings folder under uvs in the Initial Project list.

All of the CVs are there as you described in your tutorial. I made the changes, but I'm being denied access to change them.

Just a thought, would all this be because it's an SE version?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Click the start button in your taskbar then type uvs.ini in the search window, it should be the first one listed.
    I'll ask again.

Why would installing QuickTime help in this scenario. The camera (as far as I see) does not film in qt.

And I'll ask another question again. It really is not difficult. Pls post a mediainfo report of these videos.
    I downloaded from the mediainfo link in your post and got another copy of Quicktime. I tried all of the few options on the box but none of them showed how to post a report.

It's mainly a page of ads.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to have to force my computer shut now because the notepad has jammed it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried several ways to save the CV changes in the tutorial, but I'm being denied access.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo:

Click link(you are still in this site). Download program - either direct from this site or from developer's site - chose the right one for your system.

Install program(do not go for 'lite' version). Installs as a 'shell' for windows explorer and as a full program.

Navigate to location of stored video, right-click and select 'mediainfo' or simply run the program and open the video inside it.

You are then presented with a report of the video. You can now save that report as text or simply highlight it and copy/paste it into a reply here.
    Quote Quote