VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but i thought it was better to ask in case I buy it and it doesn't even do what I think it does.
    So I am looking for a blu ray drive so that I can rip my blu ray movies on to my laptop and have the files to edit and all that stuff.

But I am kind of confusing myself. I found these...but they are called blu ray writers.

http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/samsung-se-506ab-external-blu-ray-writer-185075

http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/lg-bp06lu11-external-blu-ray-writer-192170

http://www.computerstore.co.nz/SBW-06D2X-U-BLK-G-AS.aspx

I am not 100% sure that these do what I want...or if they serve a different purpose.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM

Ehh but where? They said that yes you can copy blu rays on a laptop. That's about it.....nobody answered the blu ray writer thing.

I know that you need a blu ray drive to copy blu rays on your computer. But I don't know if a blu ray writer is the same thing or it just means you are able to write files on to a bu ray disk. I was asking a different question on that thread. Well I was asking both. But only one part got an answer?

I guess I am asking if a blu ray writer is the same as a blu ray drive. Because nothing seems to come up in my country when I look for blu ray drives. Only writers.
    Last edited by missyxxmischa; 11th Nov 2012 at 03:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you expect a DVD writer to be able to read DVDs? It is the same for Blu-ray:
    A Blu-ray writer is an optical drive that reads Blu-ray discs and can write to Blu-ray writable discs. (The drive should also be able to handle DVDs and CDs.) You may need third party software to do anything with it, e.g. a player, ripper, or burning software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Do you expect a DVD writer to be able to read DVDs? It is the same for Blu-ray:
    A Blu-ray writer is an optical drive that reads Blu-ray discs and can write to Blu-ray writable discs. (The drive should also be able to handle DVDs and CDs.) You may need third party software to do anything with it, e.g. a player, ripper, or burning software.

I don't expect anything when it comes to computer stuff....lol. What a fail.
    Anyway...
    Thanks! I get it now!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get blu-ray writer, then download dvdfab to copy to blu-ray to hard drive if that is what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD can also be used to rip BluRays to a hard drive. DVDFab gets updated more frequently, but DVDFab has confusing pricing where you may pay less up front only to find out that you have to keep adding extras to it until you finally get what you want. AnyDVD's pricing is straightforward on what you get.
    Quote Quote