VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I downloaded some torrents a while back as I wished to put them to some music to create a YouTube video. Having put together my video, it played back perfectly in my editing software (Pinnacle). When I exported it though, the video became very slightly out of sync with the music.

Research over the past few months have been me believe it might be something to do with the compression of the torrents and/or differing frame rates. I've been in discussions over a fair few threads and the most information I got out of any one was here. However, none of the solutions worked for me.

Does anyone have any idea in the world how this problem can be overcome? I'm willing to spend some money changing the downloaded videos into a workable format if that's the only solution, as this video means quite a lot to me.

Thank you kindly for any help.

Regards,

Jamie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It appears the software is the issue . You can try a different editor e.g. sony vegas, premiere pro

Different frame rates don't matter in a NLE for sync purposes - the video gets resampled to the timeline's frame rate. The audio runs at normal speed (there is no "FPS" to audio). So if it's in sync in the editor, the problem is the editor (or more specifically exporting )

Does it matter if you try a different export format ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've tried different output formats and they all go out of sync slightly.

I've also tried on Ulead as well and the same things happen, so I'd suggest it's not a software problem as I've used both these editing softwares in the past without this problem occurring. This is the first time I've edited with torrents though. Would Sony Vegas be any different do you think, or is it to do with the fact it's torrents and compressed files, as per what was suggested in the forum I hyperlinked to in my first post?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jcarst85 View Post
    ... Yes I've tried different output formats and they all go out of sync slightly.
    Uncompress the audio to PCM first, then render out the whole thing. Use AviDemux.

Demux the audio in AviDemux using "Save Audio" tool in the dropdown box. Then mux the PCM back in.

If you get stuck, see the "How To" guide in the upper left panel, or else wait for someone else to come along. It's bedtime for bonzo. Zzzz....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi bud,

Sorry, I should have noted that I actually mute the audio on the torrents I have downloaded, and edit the torrent video with a separate music track. Was this your understanding? It's just I don't see why I'd need to play around with the music in my video, as those are just audio files.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As PDR noted above, the video software you're using has a problem with rendering as specified on the timeline, and assuming that you did sync the media visually on the timeline. Also, note that you may need to drill (zoom) down to the single frames level to accurately do this.

And if there are i-frames, with long GOP's, that would create an issue too.

So if I were you, I would get AviDemux, or Handbrake, and get perhaps both files transcoded to a less compressed format.

Convert your audio to PCM(uncompressed), and Mpeg2 10Mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    As PDR noted above, the video software you're using has a problem with rendering as specified on the timeline, and assuming that you did sync the media visually on the timeline. Also, note that you may need to drill (zoom) down to the single frames level to accurately do this.

And if there are i-frames, with long GOP's, that would create an issue too.

So if I were you, I would get AviDemux, or Handbrake, and get perhaps both files transcoded to a less compressed format.

Convert your audio to PCM(uncompressed), and Mpeg2 10Mbps.
    I appreciate the response and apologies for the delayed response - I have been on holidays.

This, unfortunately, is the exact problem with every forum I post on. I have no idea what any of this means. Can you put it into simpler-to-understand terms as I simply don't get what you've said. Everyone speaks so technically - as mentioned I am a complete noob on the technical side of things.

I did indeed sync the media (3 music tracks, then video clips (muted their sound) from the multiple video torrents) in the timeline.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone help at all?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't work with compressed audio/video. Your problems start there. Decompress. Leave it that way until the final steps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks. What is the most user-friendly program to decompress?
    Quote Quote