VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone back up their videos to a cloud storage service? I have 3TB I back-up on premise but at first glance I expect this is not practical to backup in the cloud. I was looking at Crashplan who offer unlimited storage but I have to think, is it really unlimited.

Not to mention, it would probably take 1 year to upload !

What do people here do to back-up their video's off site?

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most free cloud file storage services limit the size of a upload. Maybe you can store a large number of files but the upload size of a single file is restricted. So large video files won't work but you can pay and maybe get larger files to upload. Just check out the cloud services and see for yourself. This is an area that is constantly changing so you might get lucky and find what you need.

Personally, I store my small vids on Vimeo so that my friends can see them. Most people don't want to look at my vids anyway so they end up being stored there.

If you are really worried about your files, get another external drive and copy the files to that. Odds are slim that both drives break at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already backup to external drives but 6 TB is spread across 3 disks and I have no idea what's on each disc. I good back-up program would be good that records what is on each disk as it creates the backup volume. I want to back to the cloud in case the house gets burned down or broken into. I see that crashplan don't limit file sizes so this may seem like the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leejayd View Post
    What do people here do to back-up their video's off site?

Regards.
    We don't.

The absolute best you can usually find is that someone might have a spare hard drive that they dump files to and store that in a closet or at a friend's house. Most people don't ever back this stuff up and they just hope they never regret that situation.

And really, at some point reality needs to set in. If you're backing up personal videos of the family, that's one thing, but we also get posts from people who act like they will just up and die if their downloaded copy of "The Hangover" gets lost. If you're in the latter category, maybe you just need to prioritize what you really think it is important. If it comes down to it you can usually just get another copy of some major commercial video if your downloaded copy gets lost due to a disk crash. Sounds to me like you're in that latter category based on your 2nd post. You do need to understand that once you send it to the cloud, you may or may not have any expectation of privacy. I can't speak for the UK, but we're not far away in the USA from court cases that will target users who store videos and music they never purchased in the cloud. The US government has already argued in a pending court case that once it goes to the cloud, there is NO privacy at all on what you sent there. So they can look at it without your permission and use what they find against you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    External discs are going to a pals. Update once per month. I'm an avid recorder of personal videos of my family. I do this at 1080p. Hence large size of my media. Losing it would be very bad. Worse case I lose 1 month of video's which would amount to 1-3 hours so not life shattering.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cloud privacy points you raise are very valid. Even with encryption we don't have privacy whilst the provider has the keys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Crashplan costs $50/year. You could buy another BIG disk drive in three years for that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    In the beginning, the Internet was as solid and stable as quicksand.

Today, it is as reliable as a cloud.
    Quote Quote