VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How can I stream my Direct TV video output within my home wifi to laptops? I have an ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB tv tuner with usb output.
    Quote Quote  
  2. With dvbviewer you could do that with the recording service (not free) but first you have to create a network for your pc's (easy on win7), you need a router/switch

Otherwise Vlc may be a free alternative i guess
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, i'll ask because i'd like to test this out myself...so, how does one set up vlc to accomplish this ?

i have directv, a belkin router, netbook/laptop/desktop pc, all with wifi capabilities

do i point a usb cam to some tv ?

aycs, i know next to nothing about streaming, but a few said vlc. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, never mind, i finally figure it out
    Quote Quote  
  5. How did you figure it out? Please write instructions so we can benefit. Thanks.

I have a satellite box WITHOUT wi-fi capabilities.

Regards
    Last edited by nharikrishna; 2nd Dec 2012 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it took some time for to figure out how to stream a video file on my pc to another pc, a netbook to be exact. i ran into problems because you have to have the codecs and same vlc versions on both computers. also, while one computer may handle a custom x264 encode, the other pc, netbook or laptop may not handle it the same and be choppy or exhibit lots of artifacts. so it took time for me to figure all this out. anyway. to get directv or any other (video) signal source stream'able took another battle but mostly because i was using my buggy firewire as the testbed. dv is not recommened because it not very compatable with this streaming process, so far. but never the less, i did manage to get it to work also, but the quality was not acceptable. so i will leave that out of this discussion for the time being. i may try a different directv -> computer route tomorrow, and re-test the processes. by the way, my netbook (Atom processor) is probably under-powered for some streaming. i believe that at least an i3 processor is recommended for streaming.

i decided i would make a guide, and nearly completed most of it. i just need to figure out how to update my ipod touch to iOS 4.3 since i have an old version and my system will not update because i have very little hdd space. i think it will need at least 8gigs to update else it fails. i want to upgrade so i can test streaming to it and add that to the guide since so far nothing i attempt to download from the apple store will install unless i have iOS 4.3 installed. so far all my attempts to update it has failed.

i will try and have a working guide by tomorrow, but no promises..so until then..

EDIT 1: ok, great news..
    i just figured out how to get directv streamed to a netbook via wifi in excellent quality, but i have to work out the audio part since it is still mute. i am using an usb soundblaster as my sound system. but at least i can walk about w/ my netbook in other rooms and watch streaming tv. i'll add that to the guide. well, tomorrow is another day.

edit 2: just took my netbook into my bedroom. felt strange watching tv in there--hadn't watched tv in 10 years there. now, one last thing to add to this setup, get one of those remote extenders. i saw one at bestbuy last week and even hesitated to get it. oh well. now i have a reason to get one--so i can change directv channels in another room ok, now its time for bed.
    Last edited by vhelp; 3rd Dec 2012 at 00:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks. Will look forward to the guide...
    Quote Quote