VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    is this possible?

i.e., when opening files (notepad, etc) i want the view to be in Details so that i can immediately see the info or sort quickly by date. it is currently detaulted to List view..thank you in advance.

Quote Quote  
  2. Windows remembers that setting for each folder. So the next time you go back it should go back to Details view. You can force the system to use Details view as the default for all folders: Navigate to a folder. Set it to Details view. Select Tools -> Folder Options (in Win 7 Select Organize -> Folder and Search Options). Go to the View tab. Press the Apply to Folders button. Unfortunately, Win7 has several "folder types" so you have to go to each type of folder (music, pictures, etc.) and repeat the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo, sorry..didn't work..only on the folders. i need this to work when inside an open dialog box, like in the image i posted. the default seems gluded to list view, unless there is a registry hack somewhere. the dialog example (above) is from notepad, when you click the menu\file\open. i suspect this is a challege and one that has not been sought after, yet.

i'm running xp home (sp2)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went thru this a few years ago with XP and was unable to find a solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Haven't tried this out yet, but:
    1. Go to Explorer/My Computer
    2. Open your Boot drive, and set it's View to "Detail"
    3. Go to [Tools | Folder Options] menu item
    4. Click the [View] Tab
    5. Click the [Apply to All Folders] button
    6. Reboot

Hopefully that will carry over not just to all full-window folders, but also to folders shown in the Open/Save/Search dialogs...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that doesn't work either. same result.

i'm now searching around in regedit..search criteria 'list'. this is very teadious because there's so many hits, but clumsy to go through. wish there a simple tool to type in 'list' and all the keys would pop up. course, i would then filter it in excel or ms access. but i don't see a way to bring in the reg keys in txt format, that would be best i think. then i could write a bunch of simple search queries. anyway. let me continiue. if i find anything out i'll report back.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i don't see a way to bring in the reg keys in txt format
    Export the entire registry (or part you want) as a .REG file. They're plain text.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    its over a 100mb. notepad hangs. takes too long or hangs and i have to ctrl-del out. my off2000 excel wont open bc its 65k row limits to that if that.
    i will try to import into ms acces...should work, i do it everyday at work--millions of rows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, that worked. over 900k rows. but its not what i expected. i guess i would have to sort of clean it up a bit. but for now, i'm just searching for some keys. so i 'll work with that. thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, that was quick, a simple query to "like *list*" brought up 3791 in a flash, i love ms access, its so quick at searching stuff
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    System side only needs to be done one time.

For all other applications it has to be done for each.

Some may store this info in the registry, others don't.

So answer for original question is you can not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys. just wanted to update you all on this quest.

after some addi'l searching around i found a solution--delphi code. actually, i mainly need it for the tools i develop with open/saving standard features. a thought occured to me. i wonder if this code could be somehow turn into a wrapper to one of the COM*.dll files. does anyone know which file holds the opendialog routine ? otherwise, i think i may be done here, thanks.
    Quote Quote