VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I have this machine for at least 2 years been working great. Recently tried to play a tape and for no reason it played for about 7 seconds and then it shuted off. The DVD part play very well no problem.

If I put the tape on rewind of fast forward no problem even if it's on play mode. But as soon as I put it back on play it stops and powers off.

Tried hard reset, put back original setting, cleaning the heads still have the same problem

Can anybody help me please
    Quote Quote  
  2. All VCR's have sensors to check things like when to tape reaches the end, is a tape inserted... Also there's an encoding wheel that sits under the mechanism, it tells the machine when the mechanism has reach the desired operation mode. Most likely you have a broken solder on one of those. The easiest is to re-solder every sensors. If you remove the mechanism take care not to turn the encoder wheel and make a mark on the wheel to help re-align things (it should only fit one way anyways).

I had a VCR that was acting a lot like yours, but it would eject the tape too. It turned out to be the tape inserted sensor. On my machine that was a tall plastic stick in the middle of the board.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I call "brain surgery advice" where some well meaning person at our web site tells newbies that tasks are incredibly easy to do without any thought that they actually are NOT easy at all. It's like acting like you can pull some homeless guy off the street and give him a text book and a scalpel and - bam! - he can do brain surgery.

You need to know that if you are not experienced with soldering that you can DESTROY your player by trying to do this. We have a lot of guys where with electronics experience and unfortunately a large number of them forget how many hours they put in getting to the point they are at now where soldering is easy. Sure, soldering is not brain surgery, but if you are not experienced in doing this, the risk of destroying your player attempting to do it for the first time is very real. I speak from real experience here. I have done a small amount of soldering in my day but a few years ago when I attempted to solder a part into a DVD player, I destroyed the player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much to both of you
    At least now I have an idea what the problem may be
    No worries I don't intend to try to solder anything
    but I can look for something broken or unsoldered

again thank you
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the rubber parts, particularly the idler tyre. Standard procedure is to renew the tyres and belts. A belt kit should cost no more than a few dollars. Also check that the pinch roller is not worn smooth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much Fzabkar for the info I will look into it.
    Merry christmas
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See the VCR Repair FAQ:
    http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vcrfaq.html

9.2) VCR aborts play or record during startup or shortly thereafter:
    http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vcrfaq3.html#VCRFAQ_016
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tested IR & end sensors both in & out of circuit, they tested good, replaced the IR sensor anyway, still does the same thing.
    When ejecting with cover on/will start to reload tape again after ejecting, notice a hesitation on right side of carriage
    when trying to load with cover on.
    Obviously missing a component that is light sensitive
    Quote Quote