VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys

Recorded a squash match using my Samsung S Advance phone. Plays perfectly on the device but when I
    transferred to my desktop and attempted to play using
    VLC: Only get a static image on screen but audio plays
    WMP: Plays intermittently but in slow motion, audio plays intermittently and then sticks
    Real Player: Plays video continuously but extremely jerky and audio appears fine.

Any ideas what I can do. I suspect the problem might lay with my computer specs. It's a second hand machine bought 2 weeks ago for £100 really only to be used for internet access when I'm home as I'm out of the country most of the time.

Specs from system properties:
    Compaq Pentium (R) 4 2.6GHz
    Windows Home Edition SP3
    1.24 GB RAM

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try play with Splash. It might work better for slower computers.

Does this happen with all mp4s from your phone? Maybe record in a lower resolution/frame size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the swift response Baldrick

Tried playing with Splash but getting jerky slow motion and slowed down audio.

The video was shot in HD mode and is the first I've done so can't answer your question about all mp4s. I'll try shooting some test videos at increasingly lower resolutions first and report back later.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a case of an underpowered PC. It appears that your phone shoots in 720p based on what I can find. Your PC is going to be pushing it's limits with even that. If VLC and Splash can't handle your video, you'll need to find a more powerful PC or record in a lower resolution. I would recommend using a more powerful PC rather than shooting lower resolution video. You'll eventually have a better PC and when you do, you'll wish you had shot the video at a higher resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The original video which wouldn't play correctly was shot at a resolution of 1280*720 so I just tried shooting a test video at the next lowest resolution of 720*480 and it played fine with all of the players I have on my desktop.

So the problem would appear to be the low specification of the desktop which isn't really an issue for me.

What would be of interest is to understand which aspect of the specification contributes most to the failure to play the higher resolution video or is it a case of the combination of numerous low powered components.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's almost certainly CPU decoding thats failing here, it might be worth investing in a graphics card that supports DXVA or CUVID and use that with MPC-HC and LAV filters, assuming you can find one that works with such ancient hardware (it's going to need a PCI-E slot at least, not sure if there are any AGP cards still around that support hardware decoding)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Quote Quote