VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using Dxtory to record games; and I have a mic and want that audio in there too, and everything goes swimmingly- except the two audio tracks come out separately and only one can be played at a time. I am using x624 & PCM audio.

When I drag & drop into Dxtory's MUX tool, absolutely nothing happens.

I have spent about three hours trying to complete this simple operation. All the tutorials I find ont he internet are for demuxing, or for otherwise adding an already separate audio file, and I can't find ANY info on how to do this- it's so rudimentary it should be obvious, but none of the tools work... I have tried AVI-MUX-GUI, VirtualDubMod, Avidemuxer, just loads of free tools. None of them work for this.

Please, please help me. Direct me to a tutorial or something, or just describe how to use any tool.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never used Dxtory, but if it's recording the audio as separate streams there's probably no way to play them both at the same time. Programs such as VirtualDubMod will mux multiple streams into an AVI but I'm not aware of a player which will play more than one simultaneously. You'll probably need to mix the two audio streams together using a program such as Audacity, then mux the mixed audio stream into the AVI with VirtualDubMod, replacing the original audio stream(s).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I've never used Dxtory, but if it's recording the audio as separate streams there's probably no way to play them both at the same time. Programs such as VirtualDubMod will mux multiple streams into an AVI but I'm not aware of a player which will play more than one simultaneously. You'll probably need to mix the two audio streams together using a program such as Audacity, then mux the mixed audio stream into the AVI with VirtualDubMod, replacing the original audio stream(s).
    Okay so, how do I do this? There's now ay I can just put the AVI into a muxer, choose both streams, and click combine? They all seem to have this option, and there are tools explicitly for this, but I just can't figure out how to work them.

I even found I can work around by copying the file, muxing the two videos together each with the opposite stream selected, but that's flipping retarded. If I can combine two of the same video and mix the audio that way, why can't I mix it directly?

Forgive my ignorance, i am a total noob here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Like I said, I have VirtualDubMod, I just don't see how it's supposed to work for this.

E:

So, I can right click the file and extract it's audio, that's a feature of Dxtory. Then I can take that into audacity, combine it, save it as a WAV or whatever and level each stream, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway. I'm just stuck on how to take that stream and replace the two audio streams in the AVI file with it without recoding the already terrible quality SD AVI file.

E2:

I've figured out a fairly shitty workaround for the not-working avimuxer; there's something I don't understand about the way video and audio codecs and filetypes interact is my guess. Tomorrow I will leave a short pictorial for anyone who follows. I ended up using Dxtory, Audactiy, and VirtualDubMod.

Awfully lame to turn it into a 3-4 5-10 minute each step process but on the upswing it does give you a chance to level your mic's volume anyway. I know for a fact this is supposed to work (or works if you use the right settings when recording the initial file) using a lot of these mux programs in one click- I'm not going to try it because I'm working with 200Gb on a ~50MB write speed drive- but I imagine if I was using rawcap the Dxtory muxer would accept the file. I think it doesn't like it being encoded already, just a hunch though.
    Last edited by blujay; 1st Nov 2012 at 02:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. baleeted
    Last edited by blujay; 1st Nov 2012 at 02:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by blujay View Post
    So, I can right click the file and extract it's audio, that's a feature of Dxtory. Then I can take that into audacity, combine it, save it as a WAV or whatever and level each stream, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway. I'm just stuck on how to take that stream and replace the two audio streams in the AVI file with it without recoding the already terrible quality SD AVI file.
    Open the AVI using VirtualDubMod. From the Streams menu, select Streams List. Disable the existing audio streams, and add the new one. Close the Streams List window and use File/Save As to save the AVI. When the windows opens to save the new AVI, select "Direct Stream Copy" as the video compression method. VirtualDubMod will write a new AVI file containing the new audio without trying to re-encode the video.
    If you go into VirtualDubMod's options, there's one which allows you to set "direct stream copy" as the default video compression method when saving an AVI. If you're working with 200GB AVIs, wouldn't you want to compress the video though?

Unless you particularly want to keep it as PCM, you might want to save the audio as an MP3 and use the MP3 version to replace the existing AVI audio streams. I'm pretty sure Audacity will save the audio as MP3. That should reduce the file size a bit. You can also convert the audio to MP3 using VirtualDubMod when resaving the AVI, but you'll need the appropriate MP3 encoder to be installed. It's probably easier to convert it to MP3 while your mixing the 2 audio tracks with Audacity.
    Quote Quote