VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently following a website (and group) of movie encoders, called YIFY, found at www.yify-torrents.com. Now, I am not an active torrenter because I do not believe in stealing or sharing copyrighted files. However, I saw the file size and quality combination that they are converting movies down to, it's simply amazing, I am very curious as to how he is accomplishing this outstanding encoding of videos. They are taking 1080p Blu-rays and converting them to (on average) 1.5gb to 2.2gb .MKV or .MP4. Now after endless attempts of encoding dvds and blu-rays I have failed...losing all the quality and when you lower file size you lose quality or vice versa.

B.t.w, i am trying to accomplish this for personal use, so i can convert all my blu-rays to put on my portable hard drives to be able to watch off my XBOX 360, and I am not doing this break copyright laws, PERSONAL USE ONLY.

Now, I bought a program called ANYDVD (as well as the HDDVD/BLURAY upgrade for it). It has the flawless ability to decrypt copyright protections to prepare the files for future encoding. All i need to do id to convert the VIDEO_TS folder down to a .mkv or .mp4 with conversion ability like YIFY.

I was thinking he uses handbrake but he says he uses advanced encoding software, but doesn't tell any of us which ones. I am very curious and i would appreciate so much the answer! Thank you in advanced.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably megui or ripbot264 with low bitrate x264 2-pass ultra slow profiles. AAC with low bitrate(no huge DTS HD, etc). Crop the black borders also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for the reply. Would you be able, If at all possible, be able to show the step process...maybe just something simple. Please, I am a very rookie encoder, and I need help. If not, your help was greatly appreciated regardless. Thank you for viewing my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. But click on the softwares for some guides links.
    Quote Quote  
  5. And you will find tutorials on youtube as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. RipBot is pretty easy to figure out by itself, megui less so. Use one of the CRF profiles (20 for HDTV, 18 for blu-ray works for me)
    Quote Quote  
  7. yup almost got his quality and size...
    used:
    720p: 800-900 Kbps
    1080p: 1500-1700Kbps
    with audio 64-128Kbps.....
    High Profile
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bro I have been figuring out how 3Li does his for I think more then 3 years. I personally don't like Yiffys torrents. It really bothers me when I see them all over the Top 100. But what I do is I use MeGui. If you want to find out what program he uses, look at the video info with MediaInfo and try to match the settings he uses with the corresponding encoder. For example, codec ids and libs.

Oh yes, and I find that a crf of 22.5 gives pretty good quality and at a low file size. It will look bad on the pc screen because you're up so close, but will look good on the tv.
    Quote Quote  
  9. yup...i agree..
    Quote Quote