VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys,

wonderful forum you have here!
    I have just started using dvdauthor for very basic functionality-
    muxing 1 mpg file into a dvd.
    the dvd freezes on the last frame, in hardware dvd players and in VLC/MPC, too.

here is my XML:

Code:
    <dvdauthor>
        <vmgm />
        <titleset>
            <titles>
                <pgc>
    			<vob file="output1.mpg"/>
                                             <vob file="output2.mpg"/>
                </pgc>
            </titles>
        </titleset>
    </dvdauthor>
    having <pgc pause="0"> , does not change the behaviour in VLC/MPC,
    I did not test it in the hardware player yet.

I would love some advice on how to tell dvdauthor to stop the dvd at the end.

Thanks!

regards

FatPig
    Last edited by fatpig; 24th Oct 2012 at 03:08.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is a good question and worthy of an answer, but unfortunately you are using dvdauthor on the command line. I don't know if we have any members who do that. And you need help with XML and I absolutely cannot help you with that. But as no one has answered, some kind of answer is better than nothing I guess.

I use GUIforDVDAuthor on Windows. Some months ago I posted with a problem during DVD creation where I got a bizarre mux error that defied rational explanation. I was told to use Muxman instead of DVDAuthor in the Authoring Engine part of the Permanent settings. This fixed my problem. Do you have a way on the command line to force Muxman to be used? Can you use GUIforDVDAuthor instead of the command line?

If you do not need menus, honestly there's no reason to not just use Muxman directly and forget about DVDAuthor all together.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is because you don't have an end action.

I prefer to use Simple DVD Creator to make menu-less discs.
    It's almost idiot-proof, with few options.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks guys.

i need to use command line , but i can use other tools that have a commandline option.
    i am working on an automation tool with this.
    i will look into muxman, i hope it does the job with multiple mpgs and commandline.

EDIT:
    can someone point me to how I can make muxman mux several mpgs into one dvd structure, like with dvdauthor?
    I can only find a commandline for 1 single mpg, and I need the option to put many mpgs on 1 dvd. Thanks!
    Last edited by fatpig; 23rd Oct 2012 at 16:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For muxman you need elementary stream. If you have the 'several mpgs' as elementary streams you could put them into GFD (with muxman as engine) and check the muxman.mxp file to have an example...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is your GUI hostility? Look I'm a Unix/Linux system admin by trade so I get the command line love, but some tools are really just easier to use with the GUI. Muxman has ways to accomplish your task via its GUI. If the command line can't do what you want, sorry, but you painted yourself into that corner. Since you have this seeming mystery requirement for the command line (I'm guessing that you have a ton of DVDs to make and don't want to do any steps manually) I think you're going to have to find a way to make dvdauthor do what you want. I just don't know if anybody here can help with that. Most of us just use the GUI that comes with various programs and in general only our ffmpeg users regularly use the command line.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I know this thread is very old, but every time I googled on this issue, this thread still appears as a top result.
    The real answer however, is not very easy to find. I blame dvdauthor's lack of documentation for this.
    So I decided to leave an answer here for benefit of anyone who ended up here from search engine.

As comment #2 already mentioned, that you'd need to add a special end instruction to instruct the DVD player
    to stop playing at the end of your DVD.

To do this, add this line at the end of your <pgc> tag:
    Code:
    <post>exit;</post>
    This will execute "exit" instruction when the player finished playing the chapters,
    causing the player to stop when your DVD ended, rather than pause at the last frame.

The correct code for your dvdauthor.xml would be
    Code:
    <dvdauthor>
    	<vmgm />
    	<titleset>
           		<titles>
               		<pgc>
    				<vob file="output1.mpg"/>
    				<vob file="output2.mpg"/>
    				<post>exit;</post>
              		</pgc>
    		</titles>
    	</titleset>
    </dvdauthor>
    This is where I found the answer: http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/dvd.html

Note: I've tested this with dvduthor 0.7.0 (on Debian GNU/Linux 7.0)
    and tested playing generated files in VLC 2.0.3 and Soken NE-271 DVD player.
    Quote Quote