VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I have a couple of Xvid files that are made up of GMC's, BVOPs, and VBR MP3 audio track. All of these files also have packed bitstreams. My goal is to have these files play in my standalone Xvid player. Of course, the characteristics above are known to choke many Xvid players. So my plan is to re-encode all of these files to something more compatible.

I have re-encoded files that involved GMC's, BVOPs, packed bitstreams, and VBR MP3 audio before. The results have been very successful.

Here's my question: do I need to unpack the Xvid files (so it's originally packed bitstream, and now it is normal), before I re-encode? I am not sure if leaving the files as is (before re-encoding) will cause problems, so I thought I'd ask.

If anybody is wondering, here is the script I usually use, before importing the file to VDM to work with:
    Code:
    Directshowsource("Original-Video.avi", fps=29.97, convertfps=true)
    # Where the FPS indicator is for the actual frame-rate of the original video file.
    # I find leaving the FPS modifier on ensures that audio and video stays in sync

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can unpack these files with avidemux - no re-encoding necessary. Takes only a few minutes unless you have a very slow computer...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    You can unpack these files with avidemux - no re-encoding necessary.
    Xvid's 3 warp point GMC will still be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    f anybody is wondering, here is the script I usually use, before importing the file to VDM to work with:
    I
    Code:
    # Where the FPS indicator is for the actual frame-rate of the original video file.
    # I find leaving the FPS modifier on ensures that audio and video stays in sync

DirectShowSource isn't frame accurate. AviSource() would be better. But if you're not doing any filtering in AviSynth you might as well open the files directly with VirtualDub. Recent (the last few years) builds don't have any problem with VBR MP3. You may get a warning about the VBR MP3 but the file you make should turn out ok.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    If anybody is wondering, here is the script I usually use, before importing the file to VDM to work with:
    Code:
    ...if you're not doing any filtering in AviSynth you might as well open the files directly with VirtualDub. Recent (the last few years) builds don't have any problem with VBR MP3. You may get a warning about the VBR MP3 but the file you make should turn out ok.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. I usually use the above script for .mkv files (just change the extension in the script), since I find .mkv files always have some sort of audio problem if I do otherwise.

I am currently using VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.3 since I that historically works. Since our objective is just a simple re-encode of an AVI file, I opened the original file in question directly in VDM, as suggested. This is what happens:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2e2131.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	14370

So I get a warning about VBR audio streams and re-writing headers. I have done a bit of research on this, and have read that if I click "No" and then fully re-encode the audio with "Full Processing Mode" and something like LAME MP3, the resulting video should not have any audio sync problems. Is this true?

Of course, I would also be re-encoding the video portion to get rid of the GMC problems too.

Thanks for the help so far!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AviReComp I suppose?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    So I get a warning about VBR audio streams and re-writing headers. I have done a bit of research on this, and have read that if I click "No" and then fully re-encode the audio with "Full Processing Mode" and something like LAME MP3, the resulting video should not have any audio sync problems. Is this true?
    If there's nothing wrong with the current audio, why reencode it? Click 'No' to the question and keep it on 'Direct Stream Copy'.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by adalect View Post
    Yes. I seem to recall that sometimes you have to select Yes instead of No.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If there's nothing wrong with the current audio, why reencode it? Click 'No' to the question and keep it on 'Direct Stream Copy'.
    Some old players don't like VBR MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some old players don't like VBR MP3.
    I had thought of that but since he didn't mention anything about reencoding it as CBR, I didn't think that was what he was thinking of doing - that just the act of reencoding it would somehow keep it in synch.
    Quote Quote