VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD that is Karaoke Multiplex (music only on channel one & guide vocals with music on channel two). When the DVD is in a DVD player with Karaoke functions you just use the left channel & right channel respectively for the different audios. I want to rip the DVD VOB files so that I end up with MPEG video files on my computer hard drive that have the music only audio file (left channel only) so NO guide vocals. When you play the DVD in a regular non-karaoke player and can't select between channels, you hear the guide vocals as it is playing both channels. I have tried to research this for the past two days and have read numerous threads on your Forum, but nothing seems to specifically address this issue and I am so confused at this point, but I am stubborn and don't want to give up...yet. Can anyone tell me how to get the results I want from this DVD? What software do I need and what is the process to be able to get just the Video with music only in MPEG format? The biggest issue I seem to be having is separating out the 2 channels from the audio files and then adding back only what I want to the video file. So I am not sure if this is an audio or a video question. HELP!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Demux (separate) the audio from the video. Convert it to WAV audio. Open it in any WAV editor (Audacity is good and free). Remove one of the channels. Either duplicate the remaining channel to create dual mono audio, or leave it as a mono track. Save it, convert it back to AC3 audio, and mux (rejoin) it back with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the timely response. Ok, I demuxed the audio from the video. I ended up with 2 ac3 files. One appears to be just the music (what I want) so I deleted the other ac3 audio file that I don't want. Now the only thing I don't know how to do is to take the one remaining ac3 audio file and mux it back with the video. What software do I use and what commands do I use to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Muxman. Load the Celltimes.txt (the chapters (if any)). Load the video. Load the audio. Give it a destination. 'Start'.

Will you be returning it to another DVD also, one with menus and maybe other stuff as well?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now copied the one audio ac3 file I wanted and renamed it the same as the vocals audio ac3 file that I deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to try Muxman and see if I can do what you said. If it works then I plan to convert to MPEG file and keep it on my computer hard drive with all my other karaoke videos and cd+g files. I am trying to get all my 146,000+ karaoke files converted to my computer hard drive so I no longer have to cart around and use any of my cd's or dvd's.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Muxman makes DVDs. For MPEG, try ImagoMPEG-Muxer
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have something very weird going on with the audio file and until I get this issue solved I can't re-mux in any kind of format. When I demux the VOB file I get two audio files as I said previously. When I play the 2 ac3 files one plays just music and the other plays music with vocals. So I deleted the one ac3 audio with the vocals I don't want. However, whenever I take the ac3 file that is left and convert it to a wav file I end up with a left channel that has the male vocals and a right channel that has the female vocals. All 12 files on this karaoke multiplex DVD are duets. I have tried several different conversion programs (AVS, Goldwave, etc) and end up with the same result. It looks like there is no way to remove the vocals from the wav audio file with two different vocals on each channel. So what the heck do I do now?????
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried ImagoMPEG-Muxer and used the demuxed video file and the one audio ac3 file and ended up with an MPEG that plays video with audio that still contains both male and female vocals. I am so bummed!! I have spent two days straight trying to figure this out and redo files and still can't get the end result I want!! Sure hope you have some answers. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dunno. Maybe upload a small piece of the AC3 file you thought had only the music so someone can have a look.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, but how do I do that? I'm new here and need explanations to be able to do anything. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^
    There is an "Upload files/manage attachments" button below the text box where you write your posts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did some playing around and figured out that it happened to be the media player I was using that played one ac3 audio file without the vocals and one with. I was using Easy Media Player. When I played the 2 demuxed ac3 audio files with Media Player Classic they botth sound exactly the same with the male vocals on left and female on right. Kinda weird don't you think??? Like I said before, this Karaoke Multiplex DVD is designed to be played in a DVD player that allows you to select left channel only and then you get just the music with no vocals. When you play it in a regular DVD player, you can only get the music and vocals together. Any suggestions as to how I can demux the VOB files so I can get the right and left channels separated? Or any other suggestions on how to end up with an MPEG with music only?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did some playing around and figured out that it happened to be the media player I was using that played one ac3 audio file without the vocals and one with. I was using Easy Media Player. When I played the 2 demuxed ac3 audio files with Media Player Classic they botth sound exactly the same with the male vocals on left and female on right. Kinda weird don't you think??? Like I said before, this Karaoke Multiplex DVD is designed to be played in a Karaoke DVD player that allows you to select left channel only and then you get just the music with no vocals. When you play it in a regular DVD player, you can only get the music and vocals together. Any suggestions as to how I can demux the VOB files so I can get the right and left channels separated? Or any other suggestions on how to end up with an MPEG with music only?

["You've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction."
    -George Horace Lorimer]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vincegfan View Post
    Well I did some playing around and figured out that it happened to be the media player I was using that played one ac3 audio file without the vocals and one with.
    If it's doing that then it's also possible for you to extract a track with just music. I don't believe it's possible for a DVD player to silence vocals on the tracks and give you just the music. So, back to my first post. Convert the AC3 audio tracks to WAV audio (BeSweet or HeadAc3he or others), open them in a WAV editor (Audacity or others), and have a look. I also find it hard to believe both of the included AC3 audio files are identical.

If worse comes to worst, there are some plugins available for Audacity that attempt to remove the vocals. If, as you say, the Karaoke DVD player is doing it, then maybe it's just removing the vocal frequencies and that's what one of the plugins attempts:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Vocal_Removal
    Last edited by manono; 23rd Oct 2012 at 17:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The instructions on the DVD jacket says: "For DVD players without Karaoke functions, use Audio Track Two or your AC-3 decoder to hear the guide vocals and guide melody. To hear just the music use Audio Track One. If you are using a Karaoke Player you can also use the guide vocal button during duets to control whick vocal you want to sing."
    So I agree with you that it seems there must be a way to separate out the 2 different audio's. I used DVD Decryter to originally demux the VOB file. When I said that the 2 audio files were the same, I meant, when I play them they each sound the same ie both have vocals in them with male on right and female on left. But there must be something unique in one of the audio files for it to play differently on Easy Media Player. I will try what you suggested and see if that makes any difference and report back to you. Again, this forum and all your help is wonderful and greatly appreciated, THANKS!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you have the complete DVD on the hard drive, try PGCDemux to demux the audio. You can also have it demux the audio for a single song/cell/chapter. You can also open a VOB in DGIndex and have it demux the audio for whatever portion you want (use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small piece). You can even have it decode the AC3 to WAV audio at the same time (Audio->Output Method->Decode AC3 Track to WAV). Then File->Save project file which will also give you the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that sounds like a better idea as it may have something to do with how the files are demuxed from the original VOB, which I do have the DVD. When I originally copied the DVD files to my hard drive, I set up separate folders for each of the 12 songs and copied the 4 files on the DVD for each song to each folder. So I am only demuxing one song at a time. Will try what you suggest and get back with you. I also have software called AcC3Filter, and was looking at the Manual to see if it might help me, but it looks pretty complicated and I am not sure I understand what to do with it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Keep in mind that some media players will play both files when they find a video file and audio file with the same base name. So if you have a file called FILENAME.M2V (mpeg 2 elementary stream) and another called FILENAME.AC3 (AC3 elementary stream) the player may play both when you select the M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I demuxed using PGCDemux and the same results as when I used DVD Decrypter. I end up with 2 AC3 audio files. One is named AudioFile_80.ac3 and one is named AudioFile_81.ac3. When I play either audio file with Media Classic Player I hear vocals in both files no matter what I do. When I play the audio files with Easy Media Player, the 80.ac3 file has NO vocals, but the 81.ac3 file has the vocals. Then I got curious and thought maybe if I could figure out what is different about playing the one 80.ac3 file in Easy Media vs Media Classic players that I might be able to figure this out. Medica Classic says the file is AC3 5channels, 48000Hz, 384kps (lib avcodec), and I can't seem to get it to play without vocals. Easy Media Player has under the Audio drop down "Audio Channels" and "Audio Device". When Audio Device is set at either Stereo or Mono, I get no vocals (YEAH). When Audio Device is set at 3Front,2Rear or 2Front,2Rear, I get both vocals, so male in left and female in right. The only thing that changes is if under audio channels, I pick reverse stero, then I get male in right and female in left. Does any of this i nformation help you help me? If I take the 80.ac3 file (the one I can play without vocals)as is and convert to wav, I always get a wav file that has vocals, male left, female right. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Install Audacity and the ffmpeg source plugin.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#ffdown

Import one of your AC3 files and see exactly what you have. You can play each channel separately with Audacity (use the "solo" button). A 5.1 AC3 track:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aud.png
Views:	263
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	14377
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Oct 2012 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Also, using BeSweet and a GUI (and maybe other programs too?) you can convert the DD 5.1 AC3 to 6 different Mono WAV files. You can play each one to see which ones (if any) give you music only.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks to both of you. I will try that audacity add in and see what happens and report back.....WOW, this is time consuming....but will be rewarding if we can finally figure this out so I can get the desired result. Hopefully next post will be good news or at least useful news.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Woo-Hoo!! I got it to work and I now have one of the songs as an mpeg with no guide vocals!!! Here is the process that worked from beginning to end in case anyone else has to do what I am doing. First use either PGCDemux or DVD Decrypter and demux the songs VOB file. Next, take the one audio ac3 file that the vocals can be removed from (mine were titled AudioFile_80.ac3) and delete the audio ac3 file that the vocals can't be removed from (mine were titled AudiioFile_81.ac3). Next import the audio file into Audacity with the ffmpeg plugin. I ended up with 5 channels, the first 3 were different parts of the music and the backgound vocals (which I wanted to keep and probably would have lost if I ended up using a vocal remover), and the 4th one was the male vocals and the 5th the female vocals. I selected solo as recommended so I could figure out which ones I wanted to keep and which ones I wanted to delete. I then selected each of the 4th and 5th ones and used the split delete command to get rid of them. I saved the remaining 3 and used the file export command to save twice to end up with two ac3 audio files to simulate stereo and used the file names the same as the ones that were demuxed from the vob file (AudioFile_80 and _81.ac3). Last I used ImagoMPEG-Muxer and selected the demuxed video file and the 2 audio ac3 files I just created in Audacity and successfully have an MPEG with music and background vocals only!! You guys were great help and I really appreciate it. I hope someone else can benefit from all of this so they won't have 2 spend 3 days figuring out like I did. Many THANKS again! Now off to do this all with the remaining 11 songs
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by vincegfan View Post
    I saved the remaining 3 and used the file export command to save twice to end up with two ac3 audio files to simulate stereo.
    I don't understand why you are saving two files. A single save can include all three channels (left, center, right) creating a 3.0 AC3 file.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info on Adobe Audition, however I am limited to using the free software for now. I tweaked the process a little and realized that I can remove the male and female vocals from the second audio ac3 file also. So I am now using Audacity with ffmpeg addin to edit both ac3 files that are demuxed from the VOB file and then after removing the vocals from both audio files I am remuxing them with the video file for the final MPEG without guide vocals.
    Quote Quote