VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    And why i want it is because its illegal if you dont most to be able to play it etc etc.

So wich software is best to maintain 100% quality (1:1) and other stuff from a original disc to another one and maintan protection?

I awnna do backups because both me and my children are scratching the disc far to often to be healthy.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of US companies tried to let consumers do this. One actually sold software that did it and they got sued out of existence. The other company got threatened with so many lawsuits before they even started their service that they gave up and never offered it to consumers.

You can make 1:1 copies without copy protection and not change the video or audio at all, so your premise that you MUST keep the copy protection is not correct. We generally recommend DVDFab (they have a free version) or AnyDVD, burning with ImgBurn, and using ONLY Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand discs to have the best results. Note that most DVDs are actually dual layer size and dual layer discs can be expensive. Some people choose to shrink dual layer discs down to single layer size after ripping the DVD to their hard drive so they can just burn a single layer disc. DVD Shrink (easier to use) and DVD Rebuilder (more difficult for newbies to use) can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's not possible.
    Hmm ok :/ can you apply it after?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    A couple of US companies tried to let consumers do this. One actually sold software that did it and they got sued out of existence. The other company got threatened with so many lawsuits before they even started their service that they gave up and never offered it to consumers.

You can make 1:1 copies without copy protection and not change the video or audio at all, so your premise that you MUST keep the copy protection is not correct. We generally recommend DVDFab (they have a free version) or AnyDVD, burning with ImgBurn, and using ONLY Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand discs to have the best results. Note that most DVDs are actually dual layer size and dual layer discs can be expensive. Some people choose to shrink dual layer discs down to single layer size after ripping the DVD to their hard drive so they can just burn a single layer disc. DVD Shrink (easier to use) and DVD Rebuilder (more difficult for newbies to use) can do that.

Ok that sounds terrible, maybe the software still exist on WWW?, money is no problem so, ok but i have read on diferrent community in Sweden that the only reason you would be allowed to remove the protection is if your device cant play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for personal use, no one will ever know you made a copy of your own disc. no one will care either. you'd need a special laser disc duplicator to write the protection to a portion of the disc a normal dvdr drive can't write to. it was never sold to the public.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    for personal use, no one will ever know you made a copy of your own disc. no one will care either. you'd need a special laser disc duplicator to write the protection to a portion of the disc a normal dvdr drive can't write to. it was never sold to the public.
    Hmm ok, but when i make a 1:1 copy without protection will something be different? will you notice it beside that its easy to re-copy? just wonder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jcarlberg View Post
    Hmm ok, but when i make a 1:1 copy without protection will something be different? will you notice it beside that its easy to re-copy? just wonder.
    I said:
    You can make 1:1 copies without copy protection and not change the video or audio at all, so your premise that you MUST keep the copy protection is not correct.

No change = no change
    Copy protection has NOTHING to do with the actual video, audio and menus on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I said:
    You can make 1:1 copies without copy protection and not change the video or audio at all, so your premise that you MUST keep the copy protection is not correct.

No change = no change
    Copy protection has NOTHING to do with the actual video, audio and menus on the DVD.
    I understod that, what i mean if you can notice something, i guess not but i am just curious.

That about not being illegal i am not sure about, i dont mean that you dont know what you are talking about, but everywhere i have read that its illegal, i have people from Revenue so, ye.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Another question: Where to get cheap Verbatim or that other brand? verbatim is 5 times expensive then Aone
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That about not being illegal i am not sure about, i dont mean that you dont know what you are talking about, but everywhere i have read that its illegal, i have people from Revenue so, ye.
    No one was arguing legalities. You were basically told that if you make one safety backup copy of a disc you already bought and own in your collection, no one will probably know or care. After all, you said you simply wanted to make backups because you and your children were scratching the originals. If you are trying to make multiple copies, or make a copy of a rented or borrowed DVD (something you don't own outright), then you are definitely breaking the law.

If what you are saying about your intentions are genuine, and if you are keeping the backup copy for yourself, then there is no need for you to worry about putting copy protection on a backup copy. (As if that were even possible.)
    Quote Quote