VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I know it's my fault....I updated a perfectly working system with the latest K-Lite Codec Pack....

But how do I fix this ? When I start mplayerclassic it tells me ffmpeg.dll failed to load but then proceeds to play the movie. However, my current Vegas video project has been halted in its tracks because it won't show certain vids.

The vids that don't work are AVI files from my GoPro. When I try to load one in VirtualDub it tells me (several times) that it cannot load ffmpeg.dll, then fails to display the video. File Information shows it is trying to use ffdshow (H264) to decode the video.

Any ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    remove the crap?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did that. No I no longer have mplayerc (which I like) and Vegas still doesn't load the H264 files.

Is there a better solution ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. install latest version of ffdshow and make sure you enable the vfw decoder you want to use,..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a perfect example of why I always say uninstalling a codec pack doesn't work. It's already too late -- the system has been hosed. You may need to use DXMan to remove codec entries. It's a huge time-consuming pain in the ass, but there's rarely a better way. I still remember the days when you'd have to simply reformat the whole computer (2000-2003), unless you wanted to manually edit the registry keys.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DXMan

Thus another person has sadly learned of the damage caused by codec packs.

Just think: This is ONLY the damage you've noticed so far!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just uninstalled KLCP 9.3 and reinstalled it.....and selected ffdshow instead of LAV (which was the default) for H264 and it all works now.
    Quote Quote