VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm a fairly inexperienced web developer, but I'm working on a project that requires the ability for registered users on my Django website to stream video for another type of user to view. I have no idea or experience with video at all, and have been searching for several days trying to get an idea of what I need to learn in order to make this possible. While I have learned a little, I am still pretty unsure of a direction that I should take than will get me to the point where I can add streaming video functionality to my website. I would rather not waste more time or waste money in the process of trying to figure it out incorrectly. I understand that it may be difficult and expensive, but I'm willing to learn what's needed, even if it might take a little time. Obviously I would like to keep the costs as low as possible, but I am just as concerned about easy implementation and usability. Ideally, I would like to allow the streams to broadcast live and then remain available for viewing for 24 hours after, however I am flexible with how it will work. I would rather have no live streaming or only live streaming than no streaming whatsoever. My questions are basically: 1) What exactly do I need to do to allow my users to stream on my website? 2) Are there any good tutorials that exist? 3)What should I be learning or reading up on? The finished product would be somewhat similar to a ustream or justin.tv, but on a smaller scale and with paid viewing for a niche market. My OS is Windows7, and I currently know Python/Django, limited javascript, html/css - but I am willing to learn whatever it is I should be learning. My website is hosted using 1and1, but I don't know the proper server solution for what I want to do, and my project is still in development. I really appreciate any help that anyone might be able to offer me. I don't have any formal programming or computer science training and I'm purely self taught, so there is still plenty that I don't know and any help or direction goes a long way. I'm open to any suggestions, but to me, simply quitting the project because it is difficult for a beginner isn't something I'm willing to accept (whether it is stupidity or stubbornness), regardless of how difficult it may be. Again, thanks in advance for the help.

-Louis
    Quote Quote  
  2. I was actually finally able to find a good tuturial for a beginner such as myself here. It is at least a good starting point.
    Quote Quote