VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We have a church with 300-500 families with a broad distributed network for both hardwire and wireless. We have instructors that need to be able share video content from the internet or from their PC. With this new network we would like to be able to download much of the content that the instructors would use in their lessons and don't have enough internet bandwidth to allow them all to just use the web.

I am looking for a solution that I could deploy cheaply that would
    1) Allow me to attach a NAS (2TB) where I have stored all of the necessary content.
    2) Allow church members to easily find a web page that would list all of the media content on the NAS
    3) Not advertise services like Hulu, YouTube, or Netflix etc.
    4) Users with PC, Ipad, or Android clients / browsers
    5) Ability to stream 3-4 continous videos (20-30 minutes long)

Ultimately I would need to do this in 4 other churches in my area and would like to sync them from a file server in my home to keep all of the content up to date.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.
    Sugo

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a cheap solution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a nas is hooked into your network like another computer. most have an internal network page to log onto like this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-06_232510.png
Views:	194
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	14169

a nas is just a storage unit. the format stored determines what devices can play them. a faster nas like my plextor px-nas4 would work, it has a 2gb network interface.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You home ISP probably has a clause (and throttling, and port blocking) to prevent hosting from home.

A NAS is just a piece of hardware.

What you need is a complete hosting plan for streaming videos. Something like Vimeo Pro may be more ideal for you. The price is actually quite good, too, vs DIY hosting on a VPS ($20-50+/monthly server, vs $199/year Vimeo).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks everyone for your ideas, sorry I wasn't clear enough on the NAS. I figured I would have a NAS per building that would store the content, then would use a service similar to dropbox to keep all of the NAS's updated with the same content. I still lack the streaming component and serving component. I found HP SmartMedia Server but it is $2500 which is too expensive.

I had not thought of Vimeo Pro, will take a look at that to see if it will provide LAN based replay. Thanks!

Sugo
    Quote Quote