VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I use ConvertXToDVD for burning video files onto Sony DVD discs (DVD/RW). The discs play fine on my Sony DVD players, but when I use another brand of media, the discs won't work.

Am I to use only Sony DVD/RW discs on Sony players or something?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardly. Sony do not make these disks. They are only 'branded' by them.

Check your players manual for the disks they support. Did you use +RW instead of -RW by any chance ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What "brand" are the dvd's that do not work ?
    You never stated but my guess would be they are probably worse crap than the sony's.

Or maybe there is some other reason ?
    Vague information get's you vague guesses.

@ DB83
    I am guessing he is using +R's as they always have the RW logo on them even when they are write once disc's.
    But like i said, I am guessing.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Noahtuck

You are probably right there. But I agree, we are all but guessing here.

I know that some older players would only play one type. I have always found that -R's are more compatable but even then they could still spit out cheap media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - 8x Sony is TY or Daxon (Sony specs)
    - 16x is Daxon (Sony specs) up to 2011.
    - Since 2011, Sony is RitekF (Ritek with Fuji oxonol dye), and is quite good.

But there can still be other factors to consider.

Not enough details. Agreed, we're all just guessing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

Sorry I was vague and sorry for the late reply/leaving you all in suspense for so long. I hope you haven't lost too much sleep! :P

The DVD players I have are:

SONY DVP-SR600H
    SONY RDR-HX510
    SONY RDR-GX120

The discs that work are SONY DVD-RW and the ones I now use as coasters are Memorex DVD+RW.

So I guess I need +RW?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD standard is DVD-R for single layer, DVD+R for double-layer. Many players cannot read "RW" discs.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 10:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to a quick 'Google', the first player in your list has NO support for playback of +R/+RW disks.

The others 'should' playback both formats but why did you suddenly change from -RW to +RW ?

RW should only be used for test purposes with final burns on R (non reusable) media and as sanlyn points out, and I think I mentioned it earlier, -R disks have best compatability across different players.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much once again guys. Appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BTW: This morning I tried to play a DVD that I transferred from VHS back in 2006 or so. It wouldn't play, neither in a player nor a PC. The PC refused to copy files from it, and I tried 3 different optical drives. It's a Fujifilm DVD-R. If you hold the disc in one hand and very gently press a finger along any edge or the middle, you hear a faint creaking sound -- a sure sign that the layers are coming apart. The disc is unusable. Fortunately, this is the only FUJI disc I ever used. It came inside a nice slip case. Not such a great deal, after all.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    BTW: This morning I tried to play a DVD that I transferred from VHS back in 2006 or so. It wouldn't play, neither in a player nor a PC. The PC refused to copy files from it, and I tried 3 different optical drives. It's a Fujifilm DVD-R. If you hold the disc in one hand and very gently press a finger along any edge or the middle, you hear a faint creaking sound -- a sure sign that the layers are coming apart. The disc is unusable. Fortunately, this is the only FUJI disc I ever used. It came inside a nice slip case. Not such a great deal, after all.
    That's very disturbing. I actually have a small number of Fuji discs from that era or possible a year or two earlier than that. I found one (DVD-R) and took a look and my most difficult BD drive could read it fine, so so far so good. After reading this, I may copy it over to a Verbatim disc just to be sure. I see that the manufacturer ID is FUJIFILM so I can't say I have as much confidence in that as I do some of my other non-Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim discs. I've got some old TDK discs from the mid 2000s that if I remember correctly either have an MCC or TY media code.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    One can never tell. I haven't played this disc for some 3 years, I guess, it's a workout video I used to play often. I guess that could happen with anything -- I shoulda made a backup anyway for something that's used this often.

Update: So I found that my brand-new LG DVD drive could copy the VOB's. Copied 2 so far (there are 4. The BluRay player wouldn't read it).
    I fiddled with the disc, presing gently at the 2 o'clock and 9:30 positions near the disc edges, so VOB #1 copied OK. Then VOB #2 started out as "4 minutes remaining" but after 2 minutes it jumped to "42 minutes" and wouldn't move. So, back to fiddling and massaging the disc again. This time, VOB #2 went great guns until near the very end, and the LG really struggled to get then last 5 percent over several minutes. Played the VOB #2 copy in VirtualDub and saw heavy pixelation and jerky playback those last few minutes of video.

So I put the disc onto a heavy hardcover book, put about 3 pounds of thick books on top of it, then sat on this pile thing for about 10 minutes. Voila! I still can't get the IFO files to read, but VOB #2 copied perfectly, no pauses. I thought about maybe covering the disc with a thick towel and taking a low-heat laundry iron to it, but I'm afraid of that. Right now I'm sitting on the pile of books again and will try VOB #3 in a few minutes.

Jeez. This video life is so difficult! If I can can get all 4 VOB's copied, I can author a new disc. And make a backup this time. Maybe two.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 10:12.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It worked! BUP and IFO still unreadable, but I have all 4 VOBs intact. Time to re-author.
    Quote Quote