VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I would like to know if you have the region code for the DVD player Philips DVP 3990. I searched in the website but didn't found it.

Hope you can help me !

Thanks a lot,

BejitaSama
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This player was released less than a month ago.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks hech54, so it means that there is no chance to find it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BejitaSama View Post
    Thanks hech54, so it means that there is no chance to find it ?
    One might show up eventually. If anyone would release a brand new hackable player....I'd bet on Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The procedure for DVP3800 works just fine for this model

http://www.multi-region.net/philips_dvp3800

Done it, got it working just fine!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121014_145700.jpg
Views:	6360
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	14242  

Quote Quote  
  6. epunk, how did you manage this without the number pad on the remote control. i just purchased one, and the remote does not have a number pad.. thanks for your reply..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Joe,
    Click on the link in his post. It shows how to do it. No numbers needed.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bill, I tried.. he's done it on a dvp3800.. on my setup menu (preferences) there is no option for region.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Done it !............... The tray had to be open...... and then...

1. Select SETUP then press OK (via the DVD remote control)
    2. Using the arrow down button highlight PREFERENCE
    3. Press NEXT, PREVIOUS, NEXT, PREVIOUS (the >l, l<, >l, l< buttons in the bottom of the remote control ).
      • Your current region should show on the TV screen
    4. Using the arrow down button select region code 0
    5. Press OK
    6. Press the ‘HOME’ button
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by joeseaton View Post
    Done it !............... The tray had to be open...... and then...

1. Select SETUP then press OK (via the DVD remote control)
    2. Using the arrow down button highlight PREFERENCE
    3. Press NEXT, PREVIOUS, NEXT, PREVIOUS (the >l, l<, >l, l< buttons in the bottom of the remote control ).
      • Your current region should show on the TV screen
    4. Using the arrow down button select region code 0
    5. Press OK
    6. Press the ‘HOME’ button
    yup, exactly what I had posted originally.. and who said I've done it on a dvp3800? Isnt the picture posted crystal clear enough showing it is a dvp3990?

Read, my young padawan, read!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi, everybody. after reading your instructions for unlocking a Philips dvp 3990-12, just bought one. Inside, I too, found a remote with no number pad. I manage to get into the preferences menu and scroll down to "version info" which when opened displays the screen you've put up on the forum with the model, file name, version,... region code... etc. HOWEVER, impossible to get the curser to move from the highlighted "ok" button... no matter what button on the remote I push. Any suggestions?

Is there something else to "unlock" first? Or has Philips devised a means of preventing us to de-zone its DVD player?

... not happy, as I was counting on this to replace my dying zoneless Peekton player. Please advise.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tech_novice View Post
    Hi, everybody. after reading your instructions for unlocking a Philips dvp 3990-12, just bought one. Inside, I too, found a remote with no number pad. I manage to get into the preferences menu and scroll down to "version info" which when opened displays the screen you've put up on the forum with the model, file name, version,... region code... etc. HOWEVER, impossible to get the curser to move from the highlighted "ok" button... no matter what button on the remote I push. Any suggestions?

Is there something else to "unlock" first? Or has Philips devised a means of preventing us to de-zone its DVD player?

... not happy, as I was counting on this to replace my dying zoneless Peekton player. Please advise.
    manufactures like philips make changes all the time so the hack might've worked when the player was first
    released. you might have a dvd player with newer firmware so the hack no longer works.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ok... if I've got a newer firmware version and the hack no longer works, any suggestions, other than sending the dvd player back to the store and getting my money back? Is there a Philips remote control with a number keypad out there that might help me to get into the firmware? or am I just being naive ?

Thanks for responding.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I doubt if there has been a change on this particular player, as it is no longer manufactured. And, no, you can not find a remote for this with a key pad..
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Philips still makes DVD players that can be made region free, even in the USA where such players are becoming rarer. I don't live in Europe so I don't keep up with what Philips sells there, but I would suggest that you look into a new player that has recent reports here of being able to be made region free. Look at the DVD Players list and look under specific players at the DVD Region Code link to see if there are recent reports that the player was unlocked. And be sure to buy a player with a normal remote control with numbers on it. Hopefully you can find information about the remote controls on the Philips website or by doing a search on Google, Yahoo, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks guys for the information. The problem has been resolved by joeseaton's kind additions to his prior instructions entered above.

In fact, the next and previous buttons in his precedent replies is a COMBINATION sequence : buttons to be pressed one after another without stopping. Do NOT expect each button pressed to do something in particular on the version page. Do NOT even go to the version page from the preferences menu. Just type the combination. That is what gets you to the version page where the arrow keys FINALLY work.

BIG thanks, Joe, for sharing. Hope others who buy this make and model will manage with much less frustration than we had.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to watch my 'Hercules, the legendary journeys' full series box set but was only able to watch the first two series before I got a 'not in this region' notice. I have two DVD players and decided to make my Philips dvp3990 a region one player. I searched for a way to change it and came across this dvp3800 suggestion.
    Peeps it worked first time, no keep the disc tray open or anything. The key is in the instructions...follow them exactly. No number pad required.

When you are on the menu screen and scroll to select 'preferences', stay there and press the next button then the previous button (the triangle with the line infront) as per the instructions, then as if by magic, Mr Ben...errr... the page changes to say,

region 2 (or whatever region your player is set to)

Now press your up or down arrows...the region number changes. Change it to what you want using the up or down arrows then click ok to exit out.

Ingenious...fantastic. I am now enjoying Herc and will be able to watch Serenity, Firefly...
    Quote Quote